GORILLAZ: Hallelujah Money

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

AdvertBreak

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: NEW SONG "Hallelujah Money"

Post by AdvertBreak » 19 Jan 2017, 17:09

The fact its come out on another YouTube channel leads me to believe its a one-off for sure, that's not to say it won't be on the album but right now this is a little project by itself

bugman

Post by bugman » 19 Jan 2017, 17:10

i cant believe this is a real first song to new album .

jamie put pictures since january 2015 and so ? this his really his new proper video ? what a shit !

about the song - if i can compare this track with white flag or glitter freeze-those 2 tracks are amazing.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 17:21

AdvertBreak wrote:The fact its come out on another YouTube channel leads me to believe its a one-off for sure, that's not to say it won't be on the album but right now this is a little project by itself
I'm hoping it's a Gorillaz guest track on someone else's album at this point.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

rich

Post by rich » 19 Jan 2017, 17:47

tom_cas1 wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:The fact its come out on another YouTube channel leads me to believe its a one-off for sure, that's not to say it won't be on the album but right now this is a little project by itself
I'm hoping it's a Gorillaz guest track on someone else's album at this point.
I'm hoping this is an un-gorillaz gorillaz 'quick response to world events' (in this case, Trump) type track in the same way that 'don't bomb' was an un-blur quick response to Iraq..

not at all knocking Damon for doing these things (in fact all power to his elbow), but we shouldn't necessarily assume it sets a musical direction...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 18:10

I hope you're right Rich. But whatever the message the majority of people are going to judge the song on how it sounds, not on what it means. And to my ears it's weak. Nothing stands out, there are no memorable moments, no hooks, no catchy melodies. Nothing. The track has nothing. At least Don't Bomb When You're The Bomb sticks with you, in fact I vividly remember the first time I heard it and being blown away by the apparent change in musical direction. It laid the foundation for Think Tank quite nicely but even Think Tank sounds dramatically different. It was brilliant, and still is! But for me this song has nothing to give. It's a mess.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 19 Jan 2017, 18:22

What the?!!?! this is worse than I could ever have imagined, a total and utter terrible mess.

Damon has a global force in Gorillaz (just look at the hits on Spotify) and after six years comes up with this! zero music talent on show here...he really can't write a hit anymore can he?

Left me depressed and a little angry.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 19 Jan 2017, 18:25

fuflang1 hour ago
Pretentious politically forced trash.
Gorillaz, stick to what you're good at: Making music. This barely qualifies.

That's spot on!

ricj

Post by ricj » 19 Jan 2017, 18:31

Hmmm this isn't good at all...

Hoping it is to the new Gorillaz album what 'Don't Bomb' was to Think Tank....

bugman

Post by bugman » 19 Jan 2017, 19:12

http://www.avclub.com/article/gorillaz- ... lMarketing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Interestingly, according to that same press release, “Hallelujah Money” is not the first single from the new Gorillaz album, which is due out sometime soon"

THX GOD!

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 19 Jan 2017, 19:27

Maybe I'm the only one on this but I like the song..I don't know if this is a proper Gorillaz song or just Gorillaz being guest of that artist..is interesing..not all in this life have to be a commercial hit...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 19:40

AstronomyD81 wrote:Maybe I'm the only one on this but I like the song..I don't know if this is a proper Gorillaz song or just Gorillaz being guest of that artist..is interesing..not all in this life have to be a commercial hit...
We don't dislike it because it's "not a commercial hit". We dislike it because it's crap.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Jan 2017, 19:47

Jesus Christ quit crying everybody :lol:

I think it's a nice song. It's certainly not what I was expecting, but it's definitely not a lead single. The description of the video describes perfectly what it is:

"Gorillaz returns after six years with the apocalyptic "Hallelujah Money" video, the first taste of their new record which is coming later this year. The band has issued this song on the eve of the Inauguration of President-Elect Donald Trump to serve as commentary on a politically-charged, historical moment."

It's a song released in time for the inauguration to comment on it. This is definitely more of a "Rockit" or "Doncamatic", a standalone song. A proper video is obviously on the way, for Jamie has been posting storyboard shots of it for ages. I think it's a nice song with a specific purpose that it serves well!

EDIT: also, Murdoc said this about the song: "In these dark times, we all need someone to look up to. Me. That's why I'm giving you this new Gorillaz song, a lightning bolt of truth in a black night. You’re welcome. Now piss on! The new album’s not gonna write itself.
Murdoc."

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 19 Jan 2017, 19:51

I rather like it - the song structure is interesting and melodies are pretty memorable. It's just the production style that bugs me a bit: Drums and other instruments are too basic/dry/on autopilot in my opinion and suck out the energy from the song (it was the same thing with many of the Plastic Beach era songs). I guess "Hallelujah Money" will be much better when performed live.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Jan 2017, 19:59

Just to add, in order to quell fears about this being a single: "Interestingly, according to that same press release, “Hallelujah Money” is not the first single from the new Gorillaz album, which is due out sometime soon." http://www.avclub.com/article/gorillaz- ... lMarketing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 19 Jan 2017, 20:05

tom_cas1 wrote:
AstronomyD81 wrote:Maybe I'm the only one on this but I like the song..I don't know if this is a proper Gorillaz song or just Gorillaz being guest of that artist..is interesing..not all in this life have to be a commercial hit...
We don't dislike it because it's "not a commercial hit". We dislike it because it's crap.
I think it's great. A lot of people on G-U also do. This is of course a Blur forum, many people don't like Plastic Beach (which is my fav album) on here either so I'm not surprised many don't like this song on here. Anyway, I love the build up and experimental wackiness to it. The layers of synths, choir and Damon's vocals complimenting Benjamin's just hit the spot for me. Has a dark feel that reminds me of Demon Days very much.
Sledge Hammer wrote:fuflang1 hour ago
Pretentious politically forced trash.
Gorillaz, stick to what you're good at: Making music. This barely qualifies.

That's spot on!
That's bullshit. Demon Days is a political record and it's critically acclaimed by music critics and fans. That's a terrible excuse not to like the song.
The only thing is that it released on Trump inauguration. Other than that the song doesn't try to say some strict right in your face political opinion. it's very surreal, in my opinion. The lyrics are timeless
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.