GORILLAZ: Hallelujah Money

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: NEW SONG "Hallelujah Money"

Postby AdvertBreak » 19 Jan 2017, 18:09

The fact its come out on another YouTube channel leads me to believe its a one-off for sure, that's not to say it won't be on the album but right now this is a little project by itself

https://rateyourmusic.com/~chemical_think_tank
AdvertBreak

Postby bugman » 19 Jan 2017, 18:10

i cant believe this is a real first song to new album .

jamie put pictures since january 2015 and so ? this his really his new proper video ? what a shit !

about the song - if i can compare this track with white flag or glitter freeze-those 2 tracks are amazing.
bugman

Postby tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 18:21

AdvertBreak wrote:The fact its come out on another YouTube channel leads me to believe its a one-off for sure, that's not to say it won't be on the album but right now this is a little project by itself

I'm hoping it's a Gorillaz guest track on someone else's album at this point.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby rich » 19 Jan 2017, 18:47

tom_cas1 wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:The fact its come out on another YouTube channel leads me to believe its a one-off for sure, that's not to say it won't be on the album but right now this is a little project by itself

I'm hoping it's a Gorillaz guest track on someone else's album at this point.

I'm hoping this is an un-gorillaz gorillaz 'quick response to world events' (in this case, Trump) type track in the same way that 'don't bomb' was an un-blur quick response to Iraq..

not at all knocking Damon for doing these things (in fact all power to his elbow), but we shouldn't necessarily assume it sets a musical direction...
He thought of cars and where, where to drive them...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405
rich

Postby tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 19:10

I hope you're right Rich. But whatever the message the majority of people are going to judge the song on how it sounds, not on what it means. And to my ears it's weak. Nothing stands out, there are no memorable moments, no hooks, no catchy melodies. Nothing. The track has nothing. At least Don't Bomb When You're The Bomb sticks with you, in fact I vividly remember the first time I heard it and being blown away by the apparent change in musical direction. It laid the foundation for Think Tank quite nicely but even Think Tank sounds dramatically different. It was brilliant, and still is! But for me this song has nothing to give. It's a mess.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby Sledge Hammer » 19 Jan 2017, 19:22

What the?!!?! this is worse than I could ever have imagined, a total and utter terrible mess.

Damon has a global force in Gorillaz (just look at the hits on Spotify) and after six years comes up with this! zero music talent on show here...he really can't write a hit anymore can he?

Left me depressed and a little angry.
Sledge Hammer

Postby Sledge Hammer » 19 Jan 2017, 19:25

fuflang1 hour ago
Pretentious politically forced trash.
Gorillaz, stick to what you're good at: Making music. This barely qualifies.

That's spot on!
Sledge Hammer

Postby ricj » 19 Jan 2017, 19:31

Hmmm this isn't good at all...

Hoping it is to the new Gorillaz album what 'Don't Bomb' was to Think Tank....
ricj

Postby bugman » 19 Jan 2017, 20:12

http://www.avclub.com/article/gorillaz- ... lMarketing
"Interestingly, according to that same press release, “Hallelujah Money” is not the first single from the new Gorillaz album, which is due out sometime soon"

THX GOD!
bugman

Postby AstronomyD81 » 19 Jan 2017, 20:27

Maybe I'm the only one on this but I like the song..I don't know if this is a proper Gorillaz song or just Gorillaz being guest of that artist..is interesing..not all in this life have to be a commercial hit...
AstronomyD81

Postby tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 20:40

AstronomyD81 wrote:Maybe I'm the only one on this but I like the song..I don't know if this is a proper Gorillaz song or just Gorillaz being guest of that artist..is interesing..not all in this life have to be a commercial hit...

We don't dislike it because it's "not a commercial hit". We dislike it because it's crap.
tom_cas1

Postby aldamasta » 19 Jan 2017, 20:47

Jesus Christ quit crying everybody :lol:

I think it's a nice song. It's certainly not what I was expecting, but it's definitely not a lead single. The description of the video describes perfectly what it is:

"Gorillaz returns after six years with the apocalyptic "Hallelujah Money" video, the first taste of their new record which is coming later this year. The band has issued this song on the eve of the Inauguration of President-Elect Donald Trump to serve as commentary on a politically-charged, historical moment."

It's a song released in time for the inauguration to comment on it. This is definitely more of a "Rockit" or "Doncamatic", a standalone song. A proper video is obviously on the way, for Jamie has been posting storyboard shots of it for ages. I think it's a nice song with a specific purpose that it serves well!

EDIT: also, Murdoc said this about the song: "In these dark times, we all need someone to look up to. Me. That's why I'm giving you this new Gorillaz song, a lightning bolt of truth in a black night. You’re welcome. Now piss on! The new album’s not gonna write itself.
Murdoc."
aldamasta

PreviousNext

Return to Blur