GORILLAZ: Hallelujah Money

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AstronomyD81

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: NEW SONG "Hallelujah Money"

Post by AstronomyD81 » 19 Jan 2017, 20:21

Caitlin wrote:I dig it :lol:

I can understand people not liking the song, each to their own whatever, but to people complaining about the song being a bit experimental or having political undertones - umm, hello, are you new here?! Gorillaz are all about pushing boundaries and exploring. Experimentation with merging different styles or trying outo new things.

Like, I'm not gonna go out and hit the club and hear this pumping through the speakers while I spill a $17 vodka down my front, but it's definitely got some beautiful elements to it. The background vocals. The sweeping bells. The sobbing of gorillaz fans who don't like it cause it's not what they were expecting. Amazing.
This

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 20:30

For me at least, it's not that the song is "experimental" (it isn't) or that it has "political undertones". I just don't like it. Simple as that. There's nothing that stands out to me. The vocals are dreadful, the beats are predictable, it contains nothing exciting whatsoever. I'm glad it isn't the first single from the album, thanks to whoever shared that link on the last page. I'll try and delete this song from my mind and look forward to some good music on the album.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Jan 2017, 20:41

It's everything I could have hoped for. The beats are straight outta Plastic Beach. The synths are Demon Days-y as hell. I love the fact it's in 3/4 time. I love Benjamin Clementine's preacher-sounding vocal stylings. And I love SpongeBob SquarePants scaring the shit out of me at the very end.

It's a hell of a grower.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 19 Jan 2017, 20:45

After a few listens I'm really liking that! Buzzing for the new album now!!!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

rich

Post by rich » 19 Jan 2017, 20:46

...and great to have something to talk about!
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 20:49

rich wrote:...and great to have something to talk about!
THAT I can agree on! :lol: Whether or not we like or dislike the song it's nice to have something to talk about again.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 19 Jan 2017, 20:51

tom_cas1 wrote:
THAT I can agree on! :lol: Whether or not we like or dislike the song it's nice to have something to talk about again.
Tom don't cave in though, it's god awful that's a fact, I was so excited when it came on Twitter, put it on the speakers at work and wish I hadn't, everyone's shouting turn that rubbish off, hated to admit it was Gorillaz new one..

Most on here would defend Damon for any new track he made, even if it was 3 minutes of him banging random dulux paint tins.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Jan 2017, 20:53

I've tried listening to it more tonight but I can't get through it so no chance of me caving. :lol:

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 19 Jan 2017, 20:58

Sledge Hammer wrote:...even if it was 3 minutes of him banging random dulux paint tins.
Gee Sledge, how insulting - I can't believe you think we'd be so easy...

I would only like it if he was banging a mixture of two thirds empty blue Dulux paint tins. I don't just like any old shit that he records. :roll:

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 19 Jan 2017, 21:15

I just came from the party to see that there is a new song from Gorillaz with Benjamin Clementine (awesome singer in his own right) - it was downright boring. I don't know, maybe I'll like it after a couple more listens, but right now it feels weak
I saw that it was not the first single in the feed before hearing the song, but I thought that way from the beginning - I don't thing that Damon lost his touch that much and would put this as the first single from the future LP. I think it might be like a bonus track or a part of whatever-sides it might be in the future.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Vern

Post by Vern » 19 Jan 2017, 21:24

Awful. 4/10.

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 19 Jan 2017, 21:50

Sledge Hammer wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:
Tom don't cave in though, it's god awful that's a fact, I was so excited when it came on Twitter, put it on the speakers at work and wish I hadn't, everyone's shouting turn that rubbish off, hated to admit it was Gorillaz new one..

Most on here would defend Damon for any new track he made, even if it was 3 minutes of him banging random dulux paint tins.
Not my case..I'm not even a Gorillaz fan myself, but if I like the song I like the song not because is Damon...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 19 Jan 2017, 23:14

I recon it's gonna grow on people, including some folk here. I mean that's not to say it will, but you're dealing with 5 years of anticipation here so I have no surprise some are disappointed. To the point of calling it awful tho? Hmm. I'm not sure quite what is awful about it? The only real criticism I can find is that it isn't particularly hooky, but that doesn't bother me.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 20 Jan 2017, 00:08

this is one of the most 'out there' things gorillaz have done
like in terms of experimentation

the vibe is dark and heavy but with this weird facade of hope over it
the drum pattern is so off kilter, the tonalities are weird
the singer has a strange voice but i like it

that's my whole review actually
strange as shit but i like it

with the subject matter and general vibe of the thing i can see why they waited to release it
i hope they have something more conventional to be 'the hit' later on though

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 20 Jan 2017, 00:38

probably the most massive attack style they sound since probably... ever.. dark trip hop to me but at the same time joyous
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.