The next / the final Blur record

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Pavlich

The next / the final Blur record

Post by Pavlich » 29 Sep 2016, 01:53

Obviously the return of the band was an exciting one, and as much as the Brits complained about the lack of shows, some exciting moments happened during the Magic Whip Tour. The album was decently reviewed and I think it spurred a few great songs and overall was a decent addition to their catalogue.

No one knows the future of the band. However, it's probably in its healthiest state since Parklife. The members all seem to get on, and any stop to their momentum comes via side projects and Damon's love/hate relationship with performing live with the band, and his seeming boredom with completing a Blur record.

For me though, the Magic Whip sounds like an album that could have come in 2004. It has a similar moulding with synthetic sounds and organic 'feels,' Go Out sounds like an angrier version of Ambulance and would have replaced Crazy Beat exceptionally well, while stuff like Pyongyang and especially Ghost Ship sound like Gorillaz songs. For me, it was weird how much it sounded in sync with the rest of their discography – it was the natural evolution, and it was the purest example of a band picking up where they left off (which isn't always a great thing for a returning band; or a band thing either).

However, I don't think anyone listened to this record and thought it sounded like a farewell. You hear Pavement's Terror Twilight, and the album title to the slow romance of the songs, everything really felt like the band accepting their age and fate. Recently, the last Radiohead album got people thinking it could be their last... it is so slow, sad, sentimental, and full of some mythical songs that they finally gave bands (True Love Waits especially... that still seems surreal sitting on a proper album tracklisting, and not a bootleg, on iTunes...).

So; where do people see the next Blur album going? When will it hit? What will it sound like?

And, will it be the last one? Or if it isn't their last outing, what would you like their last album to be? Or when will it be?

For me, I would love to see them finally hit the route it seemed they were going to hit for the 2015 album: classical instrumentation, songs about older life, piano, and something a little more optimistic but melancholy. Under the Westway, Fool's Day, Colours, Young and Lovely, and You're So Great would be a fantastic template for the band to hit. I would love them to release this album with nothing but a white cover with a black and white photo of them, now or even in their youth, in a square in the centre of the cover... it would be called Blur.

Mallard No. 22

Re: The next / the final Blur record

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Sep 2016, 06:32

Interesting points Pavlich. I think that Damon's outlook on life is that nothing is final. He tends to look forward to whatever project is next.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Liese

Post by Liese » 29 Sep 2016, 08:34

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Interesting points Pavlich. I think that Damon's outlook on life is that nothing is final. He tends to look forward to whatever project is next.
this. which is good, because it makes me believe that somewhen down the years we might be blessed with a new blur record again.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 29 Sep 2016, 13:36

It was called The Magic Whip.

8-)

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 01 Oct 2016, 10:37

I dunno. If The Magic Whip was the follow up to 13 I'd be pretty underwhelmed. 13 is a masterpiece though so you'd be hard pressed to top that regardless of what you release :)

3d

Post by 3d » 01 Oct 2016, 19:29

I think we're pretty spoilt really .. such amazing back catalog ...

the likes of the magic whip - which is a pretty damned good collection of songs - to me is kinda different chapter / era / with a different sentiment - it's not about a band trying to conquer the world..

i think the magic whip (from my point of view, but what do i know?) was really a celebration of wounded friendships being healed & a gift to us fans - and to quote "fools day" - "the love of all sweet music, we just can't let go.." (i think :idea: )

we've all heard the different styles & genres the band are capable of together & as individuals. Graham has really impressed me with his projects, A+E - the spinning top etc.. Damon has shown he's capable of opera - hip hop.. some of these projects are bound to overlap..
into blur projects for e.g.. my terracotta heart being reminiscent of everyday robots..

at the same time.. thought I was a spaceman, pyongyang♡

so yeah, there's a couple of ways of looking at it, for me:

the magic whip was a really positive chapter .. and if they can bare working together again, there are always plenty of people that will listen to what the magic that comes from them..

they've long earned the right to go in whatever direction interests them .. their unpredictability was always part of their charm - that said, if they came out with an acoustic, classical, jazzy, or minimal simplistic batch in future... i'll always be behind them

i wish them no pressure & they all have my backing individually for solo or for one off gigs ..

i think they're highly capable of more and if it feels right for them, then maybe there can be some more albums ♡

in contrast to pre 13 - i think i'd take any new offering individually, if that makes sense? - i don't compare the magic whip to other blur albums and i think that would be the case from now on, not an evolution as such from each previous album but just 4 guys doing what they love

JackS

Post by JackS » 04 Oct 2016, 15:50

It seemed there was always a lot of nervousness, particularly from Damon, about sitting down and recording a Blur album because it might not have reached the standard of their previous work.

Circumstances meant The Magic Whip happened fairly organically and for lack of a better word, quickly. And it was well received.

This means the whole dimension of nervousness around the legacy should in theory be gone.... in my opinion this makes a new Blur record more likely than ever.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 04 Oct 2016, 19:16

i completely agree. That sort of trepidation has evaporated, and band relations probably haven't been this consistently good in 23+ years. New blur will get here. And I love imagining what that will be like! 2015 was such a fun fun year. Easily my favorite year that I've been alive.

And while waiting for blur, we're gonna get some more (hopefully) great side projects! As Gorillaz is nearing and Graham has started to mention a new album.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 05 Oct 2016, 12:25

I suspect something equally fortuitous would need to happen for more Blur to be forthcoming. Mark me down as a pessimist. :lol:

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 07 Oct 2016, 11:00

Okay, well what about their live shows? Will we see them again? I'd hate a fucking trashy Grand Prix to be their bow out...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 07 Oct 2016, 20:59

There will be more live shows. That's probably just a matter of enough time passing, availability and the right opportunity as they all enjoy it (one-off gigs / whistle-stop jaunts anyway) and clearly are happy in each other's company again.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 09 Oct 2016, 21:43

Pavlich wrote:Okay, well what about their live shows? Will we see them again? I'd hate a fucking trashy Grand Prix to be their bow out...
Agreed.

Alex said a couple of years ago that he wanted Blur doing a live show in Colchester. I would never want a "final concert" of my fave band, but if there's a place where this final show should happen, I think Colchester is the right place.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 10 Oct 2016, 19:10

So if they did another record who would you want to produce it?

Streety has proven to adaptable to whatever style they come up with but he's a bit of a predictable choice.
Ben Hillier would be interesting. He produced Think Tank and A+E, it'd be cool to see him work with all four members at once.
I remember Eno being floated around the last time we talked about this, that'd be cool..

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 11 Oct 2016, 00:33

Ooo yes Eno!! But Ben Hillier would be a very interesting choice as well.

We know we won't get William Orbit though haha

Dekagamer7X9

Post by Dekagamer7X9 » 11 Oct 2016, 06:48

I don't like to think about it, but unfortunately I have a feel in my gut that The Magic Whip was the last Blur album. And I think I may know why. It was Blur's comeback record. And the thing about comeback records nowadays is that they don't usually have a follow-up. Here's some I can name off the top of my head:

Ones that definitely won't have a follow up:
-Pink Floyd's The Endless River
-Black Sabbath's 13
-Queen + Paul Rogers's Cosmos Rocks
Ones that could possibly have a follow up someday but haven't yet:
-The Who's Endless Wire
-The Yardbirds' Birdland
-ELO's Alone In The Universe
-Deep Purple's Now What?!

In fact, the only comeback records in the past 20 or so years from artists I listen to that had follow ups were Bowie's The Next Day, ELP's Black Moon and 10cc's Meanwhile (even if it's follow up barely qualified as a 10cc album). But each of those only had one. So if we even get any more Blur albums, I highly doubt we'll get more than one.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it just seems to me that a lot of the time comeback albums are a one-time thing.