A thread for those disappointed by The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Vorsprung

Re: A thread for those disappointed by The Magic Whip

Post by Vorsprung » 17 Aug 2016, 20:07

I am not disappointed with the magic whip and I realize that this thread is for those who are but I must say...I beg to differ. TMW is an amazing album...and yes I am a loyal, fervid and somewhat biased fanatic. Having said that....On its own merit it is an exceptional album.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 23 Aug 2016, 19:31

I don't think that "The Magic Whip" is an exceptional album on it's music merits, but the whole story about its creation make it stand out compared to some of the other blur works. Yes, there are great tracks on TMW, but there is always a certain number of them in all of their records. The sound might be not as innovative, the lyrics aren't that rebelliously different as they were in mid-90's with this "grunge is shite, let's sing about British coasts" attitude and so on. But it is a good enough album from a band that most of the people here love whole-heartedly and it exceeded all the expectations we had before we even knew it would come out. This wonderful story of spontaneous sessions and Graham's push to make it, combined with beautiful lyrical work ("Pyongyang" and "Though I Was..." are the best things Damon wrote since Demon Days, probably) resulted in a "first in years" album from a great band - what's there not to love, at least in the first months after it came out? It is a good addition to the catalogue and it can only be a disappointed for those who wanted to see the modern equivalent of "13" or S/T. It might happen eventually (though I doubt it), but with their first work in 13 years blur didn't take any risks - and they were right.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 24 Aug 2016, 03:44

I take The Magic Whip as it is. A spontaneous album that is full of new Blur tunes that weren't especially labored over like I imagine the rest of their discography was. It's a real treat for fans, and I think one can just leave it at that! If I were an outsider and heard this album, my impression of Blur would not be good. It's far from their best work. But just knowing its story and having my favorite four musicians back together again is enough for me to really enjoy it! Also it's not without its new classics. Go Out and Ghost ship, for instance, are easily a couple of my favorite Blur tunes of all time.

Lastly, I want to say something that I think people have not quite appreciated about this album.... Alex and Dave f**king OWN on it. If anything, this is the album where those two finally shine a little brighter than D and Graham.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Aug 2016, 04:28

Consigliere_11 wrote:I don't think that "The Magic Whip" is an exceptional album on it's music merits, but the whole story about its creation make it stand out compared to some of the other blur works.

The sound might be not as innovative, the lyrics aren't that rebelliously different as they were in mid-90's with this "grunge is shite, let's sing about British coasts" attitude and so on.

It is a good addition to the catalogue and it can only be a disappointed for those who wanted to see the modern equivalent of "13" or S/T. It might happen eventually (though I doubt it), but with their first work in 13 years blur didn't take any risks - and they were right.
Yes, good points.
Sushi wrote:I take The Magic Whip as it is. A spontaneous album that is full of new Blur tunes that weren't especially labored over like I imagine the rest of their discography was. It's a real treat for fans, and I think one can just leave it at that! If I were an outsider and heard this album, my impression of Blur would not be good. It's far from their best work. But just knowing its story and having my favorite four musicians back together again is enough for me to really enjoy it! Also it's not without its new classics. Go Out and Ghost ship, for instance, are easily a couple of my favorite Blur tunes of all time.

Lastly, I want to say something that I think people have not quite appreciated about this album.... Alex and Dave f**king OWN on it. If anything, this is the album where those two finally shine a little brighter than D and Graham.
Good analysis as well. And interesting observation about Alex & Dave.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 28 Aug 2016, 20:46

The Magic Whip is a great collection of songs but does not sound like a cohesive album, but more of a greatest hits of an alternative universe's Blur.

What made previous Blur album's great was that there was always some experimentation, some unknown sounds and influences (to many of their young audience) that would take some songs a multitude of listens to get into. As every great album should. So in that aspect this was not a traditional Blur album of four people influencing each other to make new sounds, they very deliberately tried to appeal to their fanbase by making very Blur songs. It just does not work to well as an album.

If I was to compare it to Everyday Robots, I would say that Albarn's solo album just flows better. Two years after its release I still listen to it as a full album as it just works but if I was to compare song vs song I'm pretty sure that Magic Whip would have the edge (probably have the edge on a few Blur albums as well) but the album does not work, no real synergy. Most of the songs are all on playlists and sound great, just not so much altogether.

It is like the anti; “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.”

John_d

Post by John_d » 28 Sep 2016, 09:16

For me The Magic Whip is several rungs above Everyday Robots, which is a nice personal record but . sounds like Damon indulged himself. It's almost completely one-paced. I love Hollow Ponds, You and Me, Selfish Giant, Heavy Seas of Love. But the title track is almost a dirge, and some other songs are forgettable.

There are several excellent songs on TMW which would grace any Blur album - Ong Ong, Ghost Ship, Terracotta Heart. Go Out is kind of almost excellent, but is missing something. The most disappointing song on TMW is perhaps Lonesome Street, given the prominence it received (playlisted on Radio 2, performed on BBC 1). I would agree that it's the first time Blur sounded like they were looking backwards, which I don't like hearing.

munch

Post by munch » 16 Oct 2016, 12:24

As it's been a while since the release and all the partying has ended I guess I can see it more clearly now.

Top songs for me are
theres too many of us
go out
icecream man
lonesome street
ghost ship

the rest are either ok or have their problems (but i'd happily listen to any of them).

I don't really like ong ong as much any more just because of the depressing 'la las' and damons disconnected lyrics to the chorus. But it's still good and the keyboard bit is amazing.

My Terracotta Heart is still beautiful but it's loud and samey drum beat kind of ruins it for me.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 Oct 2016, 20:31

The Ong Ong video was a blinder though. :D

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 21 Oct 2016, 01:04

ong ong has the best blur video so it's fine by me
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 21 Oct 2016, 10:43

God-tier: Ghost Ship, New World Towers live
Really good: Spaceman, Lonesome Street, Terracotta
Pretty good: Pyongyang, Mirrorball, Ong Ong, TATMOU, Ice Cream Man
Okay, I guess: Go Out, New World Towers
Not good enough to have four fucking choruses: I Broadcast

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Oct 2016, 14:03

My song rank for the album would probably be as follows:

Ghost Ship (10/10)
Ice Cream Man (10/10)
Ong Ong (9/10)
Pyongyang (9/10)
Thought I Was A Spaceman (9/10)
Go Out (8/10)
Lonesome Street (7/10)
Mirrorball (7/10)
I Broadcast (7/10)
There Are Too Many Of Us (6/10)
New World Towers (6/10)
My Terracotta Heart (5/10)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 22 Oct 2016, 14:31

I'm surprised at how people feel about Go Out; it's honestly one of their best songs. It's inventive, interesting, and still catchy and melodic. I genuinely love it.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 22 Oct 2016, 18:14

Pavlich wrote:I'm surprised at how people feel about Go Out; it's honestly one of their best songs. It's inventive, interesting, and still catchy and melodic. I genuinely love it.
This!

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 22 Oct 2016, 22:32

Go Out is what the whole album should've sounded like. Catchy, aggressive - it reminds me a lot if Graham's last album.

maria

Post by maria » 22 Oct 2016, 22:35

TripleJay97 wrote:
Pavlich wrote:I'm surprised at how people feel about Go Out; it's honestly one of their best songs. It's inventive, interesting, and still catchy and melodic. I genuinely love it.
This!
I agree. It was love at first listen and it still is one of my favourites!