unpopular blur opinions

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Dec 2017, 01:20

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I like most songs from 'Leisure' and it is difficult for me to choose stand-outs.

Retrospectively, and against later albums, it is dated to its time. The prevailing indie sound was 'shoegaze', deep and plodding without direction. In this respect Blur had much more chart appeal than Chapterhouse or Lush.
Except Leisure is shoegaze and where Lush and Chapterhouse were in 1991 was basically where Blur were (mixing gaze with electronics)

Unpopular Blur opinion of late, Popscene is great (duh) but its message is kinda tepid.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 Dec 2017, 07:04

Blur, Lush and Chapterhouse were on a similar footing in 1991, but Blur could be more commercial (as per 'There's No Other Way') and they had a charismatic frontman.

P.S. 'Popscene' is a great single :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Dec 2017, 16:07

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Blur, Lush and Chapterhouse were on a similar footing in 1991, but Blur could be more commercial (as per 'There's No Other Way') and they had a charismatic frontman.
I'd also throw 1990 Cocteau Twins and 1992 Curve into the mix

Cooppa

Post by Cooppa » 03 Jan 2018, 01:07

I kinda pref of Seymour over Blur at times.

Everyone knows tho that Dan Abnormal is an anagram for Damon Albarn and it was the keyboard thing when he visited that Elastica thing.
Blur and Seymour both had really weird lyrics at times on social angst, but I think it kinda brings up in Dan Abnormal.

"Meanie Leanie come on down
Come and entertain the town
It's friday night and we're all bored
Time's been called there is no more
Time's been called it's such a bore

Dan Abnormal not normal at all
It's not his fault we made him this way
He'll imitate you try to ape you
But it's not his fault Dan watches T.V.
The meanie Leanie stays up late
Mopes around gets in a state
He the killer in your arcade
Killing gangstas ready made
Cause that is where the future's made
Tele port me

Dan went to his local burger bar
I want McNormal and chips
Or I'll blow you to bits
Give us it

It's the miseries at half past three
Watching video nasties
He has dirty dreams while he's asleep
Dan's just like you and me
He's the Meanie Leanie
Dan Abnormal not normal at all
It's not his fault we made him this way
He'll imitate you try to ape you
But it's not his fault Dan Abnormal's me
"

But who might be Meanie Leanie then, hmmm?

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Jan 2018, 04:57

AdvertBreak wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Blur, Lush and Chapterhouse were on a similar footing in 1991, but Blur could be more commercial (as per 'There's No Other Way') and they had a charismatic frontman.
I'd also throw 1990 Cocteau Twins and 1992 Curve into the mix
Yes, probably, AB.

Cooppa

Post by Cooppa » 05 Jan 2018, 13:04

I find Blur's and Gorillaz fans very odd at times, it's an ever changing group which varies from old time 90s fans and people going through teens.

It's like they're trapped by their fame in the 90s, it' like an actor who plays Dracula ( that's why most of people avoid roles like these ) and after it people can't see them as anything else than as the Dracula in movies so their career is ruined and they've made a clown of themselves.

In the same way teenagers going through a phase in their life when they fall in love with a celeb seem to pick out these character of Blur in the 90s and people rarely identify or associate themselves with their 20s self so it's past life in a way. Yet every year people seem to gather for this thing which happened over 20 years ago and isn't that active anymore. Am I fan of dead band and listening to records of empty halls and hyped up for something which doesn't exist anymore? I guess so.

But I find it so odd that people fall in love with this character, which doesn't even exist anymore maybe it would be a bit more obvious if the pictures of Blur were in black and white. Sometimes I think was it that mr. Albarn shaved himself bald an intentional move, cause he wanted to be taken seriously as an artist instead of being related just to this product which he has created outside him and that he wanted to take piss on the artificiality with an artificial band as a joke.

It's almost like they met this older version of this character which they love which doesn't exist anymore.

The Gorillaz again seem to have toppled upside down from the original idea which I think is the reason Albarn has taken the stage instead of the figures as holograms, cause he has become this puppet master who runs a puppet show for teenagers, adults and children a-like. And people seem to associate him with this puppet of his yet every time he screws up people in away blame the puppet master, cause the puppets fell of the stage and the children started to cry so the parents gave them puppet player are real smack for making their kids cry.

It's just hilarious in away when people say Humanz sucked you old goof of a geezer make better music for Gorillaz.
It's almost like Albarn wasn't there in the 90s and not even today. Just a guy behind the stages.

It's like most of his fans aren't really his fans, just a fans of these products of faces and characters he has made and they're so deep in the illusion that they cannot see it through.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 05 Jan 2018, 14:10

People will always buy into the era of art and in my opinion its a great thing, but I like zeitgeists.

Teenagers get into The Beatles and start saying stupid things like 'I was born in the wrong decade,' but people also buy into great poets and imagine their struggles in war time Europe or depression-era America.

Blur were a fantastic group with lots of popular singles that made them a household name, and are now confined to that era of popularity. Kids growing up and going through all the albums and videos and everything means they're exploring another time. There's nothing wrong with seeing a picture of Blur when they were young and finding it as having a connection. In a way people are endeared by it because it is gone, it was different, and it's a strange reminder of time and youth and also don't discount teenagers love thinking they're unique and buying into this 90s band with 90s jeans helps with that.

You can't be angry that people see Damon Albarn as a fresh faced 25-year old with doe eyes. He knew how to work the media and he did it. He was a good looking boy in cool clothes and the fact 90s nostalgia and fashion is back again of course helps, but it's him at arguably his best and most relevant and if you like Blur then you're going to buy into it. If you can't like his music now or whatever or always hold it up to Parklife, that is your issue, but you know, teenagers grow up and find different things and change and evolve. Ragging on them doesn't help.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 05 Jan 2018, 14:43

I like to observe fandoms' dynamics and I'd say most of Blur fans, even these very young, now are just fans of Damon Albarn. He's still good-looking, has loads of charisma and makes great music so falling in love with today's "daddy" Albarn is as common as falling in love with young Damon who doesn't exist anymore. There's also huge group of Gorillaz fans attracted to the cartoon band, and some of them stick strictly to it, that's true.
Last edited by lumaka on 05 Jan 2018, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

stephen

Post by stephen » 05 Jan 2018, 18:27

Pavlich wrote:If you can't like his music now or whatever or always hold it up to Parklife, that is your issue, but you know, teenagers grow up and find different things and change and evolve. Ragging on them doesn't help.
What an odd thing to say. Why is it an issue?

If he made Humanz in 1994 and Parklife in 2017 I would still like Parklife today :? and think Humanz was shit.

I listen to the music, not because of the way someone looks or the way they are presented.

I don't like the latest Gorillaz album, I've listened to it a few times and had to turn it off, it's not my style it's not what I like. I think it's weak.

Some people will like it, great for them. There might be another album in a couple of years that I really like, but it's got nothing to do with time or age. He's talented and so are blur which is why I always take a keen interest not because I'm stuck in 1994.

Edit: I've just read everything you've written and your probably right if you are generalising :)
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 07 Jan 2018, 06:35

stephen wrote:
Pavlich wrote:If you can't like his music now or whatever or always hold it up to Parklife, that is your issue, but you know, teenagers grow up and find different things and change and evolve. Ragging on them doesn't help.
What an odd thing to say. Why is it an issue?

If he made Humanz in 1994 and Parklife in 2017 I would still like Parklife today :? and think Humanz was shit.

I listen to the music, not because of the way someone looks or the way they are presented.

I don't like the latest Gorillaz album, I've listened to it a few times and had to turn it off, it's not my style it's not what I like. I think it's weak.

Some people will like it, great for them. There might be another album in a couple of years that I really like, but it's got nothing to do with time or age. He's talented and so are blur which is why I always take a keen interest not because I'm stuck in 1994.

Edit: I've just read everything you've written and your probably right if you are generalising :)
I wasn't saying 'if you can't enjoy all Damon Albarn music because it's not Parklife then you're an idiot,' I was saying it's tough to look at his work and prefer one because it's older and from when he was probably at his most popular. There are lots of people who hate his modern work and stop at Demon Days and can't even accept the average albums after actually have some really good songs on them.

Believe me, I'm all for criticism. And cynicism. It's dying. Cashing in for reunions that spoil a bands memory, new albums way inferior to the other ones but a kick of nostalgia that somehow get okay reviews... none of it is for me. But there are some really good things that exist after Think Tank.

Vern

Post by Vern » 07 Jan 2018, 18:19

Here's my unpopular Blur opinion. The Blur Fan Page on Facebook is messed up! Seriously awful and cringeworthy page compared to other band fan pages.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 07 Jan 2018, 20:13

Vern wrote:Here's my unpopular Blur opinion. The Blur Fan Page on Facebook is messed up! Seriously awful and cringeworthy page compared to other band fan pages.
Yeah, Left that one a couple of years ago now, Very cringe worthy.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 07 Jan 2018, 22:31

Vern wrote:Here's my unpopular Blur opinion. The Blur Fan Page on Facebook is messed up! Seriously awful and cringeworthy page compared to other band fan pages.
the Fan Club? uyeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that place was stupid. just a bunch of people going "oh damon so cute" and "oh graham so cute" and "i ship graham and damon"

hellhole
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Jan 2018, 23:11

Some interesting points by Coopa, Pavlich. lumaka and stephen.
Pavlich wrote:Blur were a fantastic group with lots of popular singles that made them a household name, and are now confined to that era of popularity. Kids growing up and going through all the albums and videos and everything means they're exploring another time.
In joining this forum, it surprised me that there wasn't a bigger membership who were "there at the time", i.e. in their youth during the 90s chart success of Blur.

By contrast there is a younger generation of fan, perhaps vaguely acquainted with Blur songs in childhood, actively seeking them out in adulthood.

Though I am pleased about this - it gives the 'Blur family' a lasting longevity. I remember thinking that 'Leisure' was a good album for indie fans, and Blur might be able to sustain a few years for those fans :geek: :)

Then the 'Popscene' single came out and faded away quickly - I thought, "that's it, we probably won't hear much more from Blur...." :?

But somehow, they rode it out, and they continue to do so.... :D

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Jan 2018, 09:07

For me personally I always knew the songs but I was 9-15 when most of their stuff came out. It was only when the best of album came out in 2000 I realised that all my favorite songs were from the same band.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good