unpopular blur opinions

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

davidsutter

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by davidsutter » 28 Nov 2017, 06:35

i think it works

the melody is still good, the vocals go higher, it's got more cymbals and background vocals

beetlebum has a really good build to it, at least i think so..

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 28 Nov 2017, 07:37

We're getting desperate here... Beetlebum is bad songwriting... jesus...

damon008

Post by damon008 » 28 Nov 2017, 08:26

Pavlich wrote:We're getting desperate here... Beetlebum is bad songwriting... jesus...
hwo can you possibly say that. its has probably there best ever single for kick off not to mention ruddy genius lirics, guitar, pace pretty much everything

your comment is just bad :roll:

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 28 Nov 2017, 14:10

I think Pav is using sarcasm to highlight the sacrilege of us criticising Beetlebum haha..

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Nov 2017, 18:17

Beetlebum is excellent, I never imagined anyone could have a bad word to say about it. Wow!

In terms of singles from the Blur album All Your Life would have made a good one, no doubt. Should have been on the album to begin with.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 29 Nov 2017, 14:02

damon008 wrote:
Pavlich wrote:We're getting desperate here... Beetlebum is bad songwriting... jesus...
hwo can you possibly say that. its has probably there best ever single for kick off not to mention ruddy genius lirics, guitar, pace pretty much everything

your comment is just bad :roll:
I was criticising it myself, yes.

It's a great piece of songwriting. It doesn't have a very obvious structure, especially for a pop song, but it works that reward centre with each chorus – very uplifting and euphoric and affirming – and then there's the bridge. It's fantastic songwriting. It is a piece of perfect craft. The actual sounds, the lyrics, the theme, the feel, the riffs are all pretty good to great too. Don't get how people could come in and slag it off. I was just saying once you start saying Beetlebum isn't a good song, well this thread is running out of material. It's a bit like saying Girls & Boys or Parklife were bad choices for singles.

stephen

Post by stephen » 29 Nov 2017, 15:12

blur aren't/weren't very good.

/End thread.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Nov 2017, 15:23

stephen wrote:blur aren't/weren't very good.

/End thread.
Banned. :P
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Nov 2017, 02:07

stephen wrote:I like the Cowboy / All we want song(s) but they just don't sound like singles to me.

I believe here in the States around that time it would have been a hit single opposed to being regulated to essentially was a B-Rated Cult Classic movie soundtrack.

In 1998 electronic music was gaining popularity and "Cowboy Song" fit that mold w/acts such as Fatboy Slim, Money Mark, the direction of even the Beastie Boys, Beck, etc... Just hitting more of the popular mainstream ones though......

I wonder what would have happened if "Trailerpark" made the "South Park" soundtrack... That would have really elevated Blur even further than "Song 2" did here in the States as well.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Dec 2017, 07:29

TracyJosh wrote:Beetlebum.....Would definitely put it in top 5 singles. Despite first hearing it upon its release in 1997, I can still enjoy listening to it, but I have always been surprised at it's chart success.

Blur were at a peak of popularity at the time. It was shrewd to release the plodding, deeper 'Beetlebum' as the first single.

If the more obviously commercial 'Song 2' had been released first, it would have been greater than the band in popularity terms, and subsequent singles would have trailed in its wake.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:In 1998 electronic music was gaining popularity and "Cowboy Song" fit that mould w/acts such as Fatboy Slim, Money Mark, the direction of even the Beastie Boys, Beck, etc... Just hitting more of the popular mainstream ones though......
Yes, good point.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 03 Dec 2017, 14:29

Ghost Ship is a load of old pants, sub standard B side imo, lazy and dull...how on earth does it have the most plays out of the songs on The Magic Whip!?!

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 Dec 2017, 16:30

Sledge Hammer wrote:Ghost Ship is a load of old pants, sub standard B side imo, lazy and dull...how on earth does it have the most plays out of the songs on The Magic Whip!?!
because some people happen to quite enjoy the sort of beachy vibe it has
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 03 Dec 2017, 20:09

It soundtracked some of my favorite summer days in 2015 for me. Swimming in lakes with my mates before we started parting ways for school n what not, chasing booze n chasing girls, with the cool vibes of Ghost Ship in the background made for some lovely memories.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 03 Dec 2017, 20:10

aldamasta wrote:It soundtracked some of my favorite summer days in 2015 for me. Swimming in lakes with my mates before we started parting ways for school n what not, chasing booze n chasing girls, with the cool vibes of Ghost Ship in the background made for some lovely memories.
Nice :)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 03 Dec 2017, 23:09

Anyone blessed with the gift of hearing will know that Ghost Ship is an excellent song which should never be mentioned in this thread.