unpopular blur opinions

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1567
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 14 Sep 2017, 20:35

I find Ong Ong annoying
Image

User avatar
Caitlin
Moderator
Posts: 460
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 21:54

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by Caitlin » 14 Sep 2017, 20:56

This one will start riots...

I don't really think they needed to reunite. Everything could've been left at Think Tank.
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2470
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Sep 2017, 05:53

Yes, I see your point Caitlin. They had a complete and successful body of work up until that point. Regular releases and top ten placings.

They remained at the top. The Beatles, Abba and The Jam left at this point. There was no intermittency and gradual chart decline.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Styopa
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Apr 2015, 12:08

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by Styopa » 15 Sep 2017, 08:18

Think Tank was always an unsatisfying note to bow out on. But they could have and in many ways did leave it at 13.

dougharrison
Posts: 261
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 03:01

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by dougharrison » 15 Sep 2017, 09:46

My eyes hurt reading these last 3 posts. Caitlin consider your riot started!

TMW is a wonderful album and in Pyongyang, TITWAS and There are Too Many of Us you have a trio of songs that would strengthen any Blur album (considered as disparate individual songs - I'm not suggesting that a switch of Turn it Up <-> TITWAS would improve MLIR as a listening experience from start to end).

The only extent to which I will even begin to humour any discussion of TMW as being a weak album (in relation to the back catalogue) is that it is so diverse that it doesn't necessarily have a theme - to me the description of it being an album that reflects Hong Kong/Modern urban life is a little to vague to have any real meaning and for every song about dysfunctional modern technologically driven society there are tracks like Pyongyang, Ghost Ship that really dont fit this theme.

Whether an album needs a theme, or even a running narrative is a debate point entirely on its own, it doesn't really reflect how many people listen to music, but I generally prefer albums that do, that's about the only real flaw with the album IMHO - although like the pay me girl, I definitely had enough of the bleeps on Ice Cream Man (although I understand the onomatopoeic reasons why they are there)

User avatar
anothermario
Posts: 110
Joined: 21 Sep 2014, 08:33
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by anothermario » 17 Sep 2017, 19:13

TristramShandy wrote:Ok, to get back to the original thread, here are two personal opinions which I reckon will be unpopular:

1) The best and worst tracks on The Magic Whip are resp. My Terracotta Heart and Ghost Ship.

2) Best track on The Great Escape and epitomy of the album is Ernold Same.
interesting...
Caitlin wrote:This one will start riots...

I don't really think they needed to reunite. Everything could've been left at Think Tank.
but...Go Out!
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

bluemonday83
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Sep 2017, 06:33

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by bluemonday83 » 17 Sep 2017, 19:28

i absolutely love ghost ship. the bass fuels my souls and i'm obsessed with the line "that light in your eyes i search for religiously. when it's not there, oh lord, it's hurting me." though, i'll be honest, i didn't really care for it until i saw it performed live. i'm definitely super bias because i think tmw is brilliant and one of the best blur records (another unpopular opinion?)

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1449
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by aldamasta » 18 Sep 2017, 14:31

I'm so glad you mentioned that lyric. One of Damon's best in recent years. Brilliant!

TracyJosh
Posts: 208
Joined: 21 May 2016, 12:20

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by TracyJosh » 26 Nov 2017, 17:11

The chorus in Beetlebum is actually pretty pedestrian..

Would definitely put it in top 5 singles. Despite first hearing it upon its release in 1997, I can still enjoy listening to it, but I have always been surprised at it's chart success. The intro is iconic, up until the drop and Damon's "and when she lets me slip away" it's pure melancholic pop bliss, but the chorus itself, for all that it's nice and inoffensive, I wouldn't describe it as catchy or exciting. The intro, verses and guitar solo/end section are all incredible and are what make it for me, but the chorus ALMOST lets it down..

User avatar
Pavlich
Posts: 186
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 00:15

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by Pavlich » 27 Nov 2017, 01:17

It's bizarre how Song 2 wasn't the lead single for that album, but regardless, I think they could have released anything from the self-titled and it would have charted well. Sometimes bands have great momentum, a big name, and anything will catch on and get sold.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Nov 2017, 04:48

Am I the only one who believes "Cowboy Song" would have been a hit single (especially here in the States)? That would have seized the momentum from "Song 2"....
Image

User avatar
stephen
Posts: 639
Joined: 25 Sep 2014, 12:53
Location: On a stroppy little island of mixed up people
Contact:

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by stephen » 27 Nov 2017, 09:32

I like the Cowboy / All we want song(s) but they just don't sound like singles to me.

Neal Zeal
Posts: 365
Joined: 17 Oct 2014, 16:43

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by Neal Zeal » 27 Nov 2017, 13:12

TracyJosh wrote:The chorus in Beetlebum is actually pretty pedestrian..

Would definitely put it in top 5 singles. Despite first hearing it upon its release in 1997, I can still enjoy listening to it, but I have always been surprised at it's chart success. The intro is iconic, up until the drop and Damon's "and when she lets me slip away" it's pure melancholic pop bliss, but the chorus itself, for all that it's nice and inoffensive, I wouldn't describe it as catchy or exciting. The intro, verses and guitar solo/end section are all incredible and are what make it for me, but the chorus ALMOST lets it down..
Ooh, I'm guessing you're not a guitar strummer?
One of the most fun things I ever do with my guitar is play the chords (and sing along) to the chorus of Beetlebum.
It's a great chord sequence and a really nice singing melody line. Love it when Damon skips into and back out of his falsetto.

damon008
Posts: 69
Joined: 08 Oct 2017, 14:09

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by damon008 » 27 Nov 2017, 14:13

cowboy song is basicaly beck odelay lol
but damon did it better
______________
i got 99 problems on rotation but no girl is always numver 1 lol

TracyJosh
Posts: 208
Joined: 21 May 2016, 12:20

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by TracyJosh » 27 Nov 2017, 15:04

Neal Zeal wrote:
TracyJosh wrote:The chorus in Beetlebum is actually pretty pedestrian..

Would definitely put it in top 5 singles. Despite first hearing it upon its release in 1997, I can still enjoy listening to it, but I have always been surprised at it's chart success. The intro is iconic, up until the drop and Damon's "and when she lets me slip away" it's pure melancholic pop bliss, but the chorus itself, for all that it's nice and inoffensive, I wouldn't describe it as catchy or exciting. The intro, verses and guitar solo/end section are all incredible and are what make it for me, but the chorus ALMOST lets it down..
Ooh, I'm guessing you're not a guitar strummer?
One of the most fun things I ever do with my guitar is play the chords (and sing along) to the chorus of Beetlebum.
It's a great chord sequence and a really nice singing melody line. Love it when Damon skips into and back out of his falsetto.

Haha, I'm very much a guitar strummer.. I don't think the chorus is at all bad. It is 'nice', but I just find it a bit uneventful in comparison to the rest of the song. I suppose it is uplifting though.

Post Reply