unpopular blur opinions

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Pavlich

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by Pavlich » 25 May 2017, 02:43

Yuki & Hero had potential. I don't hate it and I think it's a nice resolution to the whole era of the band. It just isn't fully there. Nice atmosphere and the lyrics have a good idea but there's just something wrong about it – it's half way between being a song like Battery In Your Leg and being extremely minimalist and raw, like an electronic, polished demo. I don't know but I don't hate it at all.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 May 2017, 03:38

Pavlich wrote:Yuki & Hero had potential. I don't hate it and I think it's a nice resolution to the whole era of the band. It just isn't fully there. Nice atmosphere and the lyrics have a good idea but there's just something wrong about it – it's half way between being a song like Battery In Your Leg and being extremely minimalist and raw, like an electronic, polished demo. I don't know but I don't hate it at all.

What I find intriguing and several might disagree with me. "Yuko & Hiro" could have easily made it onto "TMW"....Just the overall sound, but yes... it is very incomplete indeed.

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 25 May 2017, 08:55

"I never see you, we're never together, I'll love you forever"

As low-key as it is, I don't think Damon has ever made a chorus as great as that. It's universal. Gorgeous.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 25 May 2017, 11:37

The melody to Yuko and Hiro is beautiful. And the 'I never see you...' is so perfect. You can hear the longing and sadness in the way Damon sings.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 May 2017, 12:03

Absolutely agree with both those comments. Those lyrics are heart breaking. I love Yuko and Hiro.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 25 May 2017, 14:08

Yeah it's by no means a great song but I won't be a wally and go back on my word and say it's great now!

It's beautiful and real – every love dies down through rejection and distraction... ah... Damon can tap into real life and real woes...

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 25 May 2017, 14:38

I agree with King Louie that Y&H definitely wouldn't sound out of place on TMW.

I can see why some people might be put off by the seasick guitars and woozy, Japanese synths, but at it's core, Yuko and Hiro is a wonderfully sombre ballad!

MannMedic

Post by MannMedic » 26 May 2017, 12:46

I actually really enjoy Yuko and Hiro, Damon's "I never see you" lines and the female vocals in Japanese sound very pleasant and add a slightly melancholy feel to the tune. Overall, I think the vocals sound pretty great, and the instrumental isn't bad either.
Just your average country sad ballad man!

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 26 May 2017, 13:54

I too like Y&h, seems a little out of time kind of tune, and although it is about this overworked japanese that can never see their partner, for some reason I always thought it may be about Damon and Justin growing apart... maybe that's not so far off

Dom

Post by Dom » 26 May 2017, 22:08

sara-m-a wrote:I too like Y&h, seems a little out of time kind of tune, and although it is about this overworked japanese that can never see their partner, for some reason I always thought it may be about Damon and Justin growing apart... maybe that's not so far off
Damon Said in an interview it was about him and Justine. But not growing apart, it was about not being able to see each other, Due to The tours, etc

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 26 May 2017, 22:52

Yuko & Hiro is very good, works great as album closer. What annoys me is the little Ernold Same reprise at the end of the track.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 May 2017, 07:08

I like 'Yuro & Hiro' as well, for the positive reasons given by others above.

TGE seems to be regarded by some as disappointing, but to my ears it was a good album.

I enjoyed all three of that trilogy at the time (MLIR, Parklife & TGE) and retrospectively they remain consistent. There isn't much to choose between them, though Parklife probably has the slight edge over the others. Probably because of its immediacy.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 May 2017, 06:35

That "Optigan 1" is a solid album closer...I think it concludes "13" so brilliantly.....It's like the dawning of a brand new day upon each and every listen! To me.. it's the light at the end of the tunnel...just has that type of impact on me!

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 29 May 2017, 10:26

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:That "Optigan 1" is a solid album closer...I think it concludes "13" so brilliantly.....It's like the dawning of a brand new day upon each and every listen! To me.. it's the light at the end of the tunnel...just has that type of impact on me!
One of my favorite pieces of music on 13. It's like Sgt. Pepper's on scag.

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 14 Sep 2017, 15:24

Ok, to get back to the original thread, here are two personal opinions which I reckon will be unpopular:

1) The best and worst tracks on The Magic Whip are resp. My Terracotta Heart and Ghost Ship.

2) Best track on The Great Escape and epitomy of the album is Ernold Same.