Gig: Madison Square Garden, NYC, 23 Oct 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

goadamn

Re: Gig: New York City, 23 Oct

Post by goadamn » 24 Oct 2015, 03:25

Done by 11PM on a Friday?! :(

Hope it was stellar! Looking forward to seeing the setlist and hearing about it :)

sparkiepop

Post by sparkiepop » 24 Oct 2015, 04:03

Anyone doing anything now after the show?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 24 Oct 2015, 04:47

I'm crashing. That absolutely wore me out! It was, as I had guessed it would be, the best night of my life. So amazing. Regardless of set list, it was as great a night as possible. I was extremely surprised with the amount of people, it was packed in there!! And the band seemed to love it. Damon said "Friday at Madison Square Garden will be something I'll remember forever" or something like that. So I think because it was packed, and because everyone was on their feet the whole time, crazy, and sang all the lyrics, blur finally felt loved in America. I can barely type this out as I am so killed. Hope everyone loved it! Will talk more about it tomorrow

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 24 Oct 2015, 04:51

What an awesome night! I was 2nd row. I was able to sneak my camera in but didn't get many photos thanks to lens issues and mainly the big security gaurd standing right in front of me (I have a "professional" camera which is not a point and shoot so it's not allowed at concerts). I met some nice people, some weird people, I got a lecture from a bum about not caring about the homeless (the whole line got it), and most importantly: I FINALLY SAW BLUR LIVE!!!

Now I'm on the train home

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 24 Oct 2015, 06:12

Great show. A friend found out about the after party and I got to play damon in ping pong. He was very good and kicked my butt! Pretty surreal night.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 24 Oct 2015, 07:20

How is nobody acknowledging how great it is that COUNTRY SAD BALLAD MAN WAS PLAYED?! :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSE8NMF8V4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sparkiepop

Post by sparkiepop » 24 Oct 2015, 07:23

I was at the afterparty! I filmed my friend playing Damon, Damon is a ping pong PRO. Man. Dave was so cute, he played for hours. Alex went to a karaoke bar, we were going to go but it's 3.20am and I'm exhausted. These guys are used to partying.

BTW, the guest they had lined up was Jimmy Fallon but he had to bail. I didn't want to say who it was before the show in case some small miracle happened, but the girl who did the first verse was incredible!

End of a Century! Country Sad Ballad Man! What a great show.

See you in 2018, Blur.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Oct 2015, 09:02

TripleJay97 wrote:
sparkiepop wrote:I don't think there's a special guest for the show tonight. The person they had lined up just had to bail. Oh well!

I'm going to head over around 4pm. Looking forward to meeting some of you!
Well you might as well tell us who they were then!
Who was it?? Do tell......
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 24 Oct 2015, 09:29

sparkiepop wrote:BTW, the guest they had lined up was Jimmy Fallon but he had to bail.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Oct 2015, 09:45

What a shame. That would of been awesome!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 24 Oct 2015, 12:31

So they got audience members to be Phil? That's pretty awesome!
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 24 Oct 2015, 17:00

I knew they were gonna get jimmy! Wow, real shame he didn't get to come. Oh well, that girl did an amazing job! It was a fantastic night! I saw a post on Instagram about the after party, but I didn't know if I could find it or even get in if I did, and I was mega killed so I just went back and got rested for the next two days in NYC :P Rolling Stone said in their review (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... w-20151024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that it was a sold out show. I feel like the band, especially Damon, were impressed by that. Here's hoping that's not the only chance I'll ever have to see blur, now that they know they've plenty of demand here in America :)

zoozilla

Post by zoozilla » 25 Oct 2015, 00:41

My extended thoughts:

As a whole, it was a great gig. The band were in high spirits - maybe literally; Damon made a joke about how he smelled like how he usually does at the end of the evening (due to the pungent cloud of green smoke hanging over the crowd). The interplay between the guys was great, and Damon was an incredible frontman. And I know Dave always beats the shit out of his drums, but I felt like he really killed them last night.

The fans brought onstage to sing parklife were great, and it was surprisingly heartwarming to hear a bunch of American fans scream "wife-swapping is your future / you know that it would suit you" during stereotypes.

Unfortunately, the sound where I was standing was kind of crappy. I look forward to watching videos by other people to get a sense of how good the band actually sounded. Still, it was a great show, and I met some cool people. It was a night to remember.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 25 Oct 2015, 02:09

The girl who sang Parklife was brilliant! Good for her! As for Damon saying he smelled like what he normally does at the end it was because in the beginning, he was throwing water (got splashed twice) someone splashed him with their beer. That's when he said he will smell like he normally does by the end of the show. I'll post the set list later but it really was a fantastic show!

I wish I knew about the after party! How do you people find out about these things?

PauloPanic

Post by PauloPanic » 25 Oct 2015, 02:28

I'm still buzzing after last night - I haven't come down from cloud 9 yet. Absolutely brilliant gig and one of the best nights of my life.

I have been fortunate to see Blur on many occasions, but sadly hadn't had the chance to see them live recently since the 2009 Hyde Park gigs. Last night, they were absolutely on their game and showcased what a phenomenal band they are. The whole crowd was joyous and invested throughout and this brought out the best of the lads.

Regarding previous issues about the sound, I have no qualms on that front. I was GA, dead centre and about 5 bodies from the front and heard/sang every note. Dave, as stated, was like a drummer possessed and he killed it - as did Alex and Graham with their guitars.

But special mention goes to the leading man - Damon. He lived every word, every song and had an absolute blast on stage. Even in his melancholic moments (appeared to sob on his knees through Spaceman), he was loving every moment and knew what it was to play at MSG with Blur. It really was a special, special evening.

Regarding the setlist, it was wonderful to have End of A Century added into the mix and the new songs all blended in beautifully (especially Go Out which is a raucous opener). Country Sad Ballad Man sounded incredible and I love how the back up singers harmonise and sing parts of the verse - again, this was a huge highlight of the night. The Universal had me sobbing (it always does) and the night drew to a close.

This was one night I will never forget. NYC - you rocked. Blur - you rocked harder! <3 :D
"Looooondddon!!"