Gig: Madison Square Garden, NYC, 23 Oct 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: Gig: New York City, 23 Oct

Post by tom_cas1 » 01 Nov 2015, 23:41

I can kind of see what you mean about Out Of Time although I wouldn't replace it with Under The Westway, I'd replace it with Ambulance. Ambulance NEEDS to be a permanent place in the setlist.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

goadamn

Post by goadamn » 02 Nov 2015, 03:17

tom_cas1 wrote:Ambulance NEEDS to be a permanent place in the setlist.

NOTHING needs a permanent place in the setlist.
Let that shit evolve and flow.
Stop being afraid to play some new shit.

claz103

Post by claz103 » 02 Nov 2015, 04:44

Finally got round to uploading my recording of Country Sad Ballad Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js-yRI-Np7I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, it's just an iPhone recording so it's quite low quality. I think this song sounded great live, especially Graham's guitar. The concert was so wonderful, I can't believe a whole week has gone by already!

DK42

Post by DK42 » 03 Nov 2015, 17:42

This was an amazing show. I took a bus from D.C. to go see it as I knew I would never get another chance to see them. I don't regret it one bit, despite all the waiting in line in the haven for rats known as Port Authority. Blur were one of my bucket list artists to see live and whenever you get an opportunity like this, you simply don't pass it up. Let's hope Bowie comes around and does a tour next year, one can dream, right?

The band was in tight form, Coxon was a sonic burst of energy and Albarn was as delightful as ever. He seemed to be quite grateful to be playing MSG again and it showed in the performance. The crowd was into it and everyone around me was standing and dancing, so that was great. Sure, it's no Hyde Park crowd, but what is really? Though it came quite close during Song 2. I wasn't in the pit, but the venue was nearly sold out. The whole set list was great, so can't complain really, but There's No Other Way, Beetlebum, Country Sad Ballad Man and Trimm Trabb especially were highlights. The whole encore was epic.

Overall, it was an incredible evening and definitely one of the most memorable shows I've seen in awhile, if not ever.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 03 Nov 2015, 22:10

I completely agree, amazing amazing amazing show. Funny that you took a bus up from DC, a friend that I made took one from DC as well! It was really awesome making/meeting some blur friends. I'm sure MSG was the first of many times I'll see some of them :D

mizzuzjoja

Post by mizzuzjoja » 08 Nov 2015, 00:50

Observations / impressions / reflections, a couple of weeks later:

- The two Blur songs Madison Square Garden had playing over the PA system in the merch / ticket window area before and after the show: Song 2 and Crazy Beat. Don't shoot the messenger!
- I am one of those people that gets inexplicably anxious at shows when audience members are called upon to perform or interact in some way, hence my utter relief / delight when the girl conscripted to channel her inner Phil Daniels absolutely killed it. I was close enough to the front of the pit to be in imminent danger of being selected myself, and I know for a fact that I could not have remembered that first verse of Parklife. Much respect.
- Oh my God, whoever made it into that after-party at SPiN lived out my ultimate fantasy: being in the same room as all four members of Blur [edit: fine, Graham wasn't there] AND KEIRA KNIGHTLEY, my desert island celeb crush. I literally can't even. The jealousy knows no bounds!
- Attending the soundcheck before the show was an amazing, once-in-a-Blur-fan's-lifetime experience. Apart from getting to hear a few extra run-throughs of the songs, experience the unique perspective from the middle of a vast, empty, and very famous arena hours before showtime, peep the Blur family members lurking around, and so on, it was absolutely fascinating seeing how the band (and the accompanying musicians / singers) prepared. Damon was very clearly running the show, to the point where he even struck me as a bit bossy and heavy-handed. The singers must have memorized the Country Sad Ballad Man lyrics that afternoon, because they were definitely reading them from their phones during rehearsal.
- Relevant to the Smoggy appreciation thread, perhaps: I couldn't help noticing how Graham spent much of the concert making faces at Smoggy and laughing, rather than engaging with the audience right in front of him. Nothing new, maybe, but something I hadn't caught before at my two previous Blur gigs. It was rather sweet, actually.
- Country Sad Ballad Man was definitely the highlight for me, though I admit I would have loved to hear Caravan. The new(?) Coffee & TV sing-along ending was amusing and lovely, but the crowd didn't quite seem to understand what Damon was getting at (Grantland, for example, got it wrong: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... re-garden/). On a similar note, I also couldn't help appreciating that they're not doing that confusing wait-song's-not-done-just-yet Tender ending that they were doing in 2009. Didn't mind Ong Ong getting dropped, either.
- It was hard for me to gauge the quality of the crowd from the front of the pit, but the place did seem mostly full, so there's that. Still, I think Americans in general are just more stoic and self-conscious at these newfangled rock 'n' roll shows than, say, Latin Americans. Loosen up, compatriots!
- Damon grabbed my sister's hand during Trimm Trabb! She still hasn't washed it. (Kidding.) (I think?)

Overall, it was a great gig, as everyone else has said. At the same time, I'm also at long last a little exasperated with Blur's predictability. The songs always sound pretty much the same live -- no extended solos or jams, no unusual instrumentation, no truly new and interesting takes on old classics. I suppose this has long been the most common criticism of Blur's live set, I'm just new to the bandwagon. Previously I was always happy to defend the band and their musical decisions, but at this point I'm ready to hear something different. Is the For Tomorrow version from Hyde Park 2012 really that different from Hyde Park 2009 or Budokan in 1995 or even Great Xpectations in 1993? "Say something, say something else!"

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 08 Nov 2015, 04:28

Re: Spin…I had no idea Keira Knightly was there…me and my friends hung out with Cristina Hendricks and her husband was there too, but did not see Keira. Surprised I missed her!

tender

Post by tender » 08 Nov 2015, 13:32

mizzuzjoja wrote:
Overall, it was a great gig, as everyone else has said. At the same time, I'm also at long last a little exasperated with Blur's predictability. The songs always sound pretty much the same live -- no extended solos or jams, no unusual instrumentation, no truly new and interesting takes on old classics. I suppose this has long been the most common criticism of Blur's live set, I'm just new to the bandwagon. Previously I was always happy to defend the band and their musical decisions, but at this point I'm ready to hear something different. Is the For Tomorrow version from Hyde Park 2012 really that different from Hyde Park 2009 or Budokan in 1995 or even Great Xpectations in 1993? "Say something, say something else!"

Agreed 100% will always love their shows but they would be even more memorable if they were not predictable

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 08 Nov 2015, 16:28

You were at the sound check as well mizzuzjoja? Awesome! There were some great people at the sound check, but I didn't get to speak to everyone.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 10 Nov 2015, 14:58

mizzuzjoja wrote: Overall, it was a great gig, as everyone else has said. At the same time, I'm also at long last a little exasperated with Blur's predictability. The songs always sound pretty much the same live -- no extended solos or jams, no unusual instrumentation, no truly new and interesting takes on old classics. I suppose this has long been the most common criticism of Blur's live set, I'm just new to the bandwagon. Previously I was always happy to defend the band and their musical decisions, but at this point I'm ready to hear something different. Is the For Tomorrow version from Hyde Park 2012 really that different from Hyde Park 2009 or Budokan in 1995 or even Great Xpectations in 1993? "Say something, say something else!"
Yea, they should have 3 or 4 interchanging songs instead of one or two. All Your Life would be great with keyboards and backing singers!