Gig: Madison Square Garden, NYC, 23 Oct 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MsMagicAmerica

Re: Gig: New York City, 23 Oct

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 25 Oct 2015, 02:58

Set List:

Go Out
There's No Other Way
Lonesome Street
Bedhead
End of a Century
Ghost Ship
Coffee & TV
Out of Time
Country Sad Ballad Man
Beetlebum
Thought I was a Spaceman
Trim Trab
Tender
Parklife
Song 2
To the End
This is a Low
---------
Stereotypes
Girls& Boys
For Tomorrow
the Universal

It was just such a good show. I didn't notice sound problems, but then again I was in the GA section 2nd row right in front of Alex.I did notice that at one point in the show the sound got louder (or it seemed to)

Also, Damon told us not to vote for Donal Trump :)

velvetvamp

Post by velvetvamp » 25 Oct 2015, 14:50

I started getting more into it once Ballad Man snuck up on me. Never really expected that one but love it. That was shortly after I gave up a pretty decent spot on the floor to walk to the back. Mostly because I was a little exhausted and needed another glass of wine. But also I overheard the guy next to me ask his girlfriend which one was Graham Coxon. Which threw me for a loop and made me not necessarily want to be near that gentleman. (Not to sound too snobby, seemed like he was still enjoying the show! Was just an odd, distracting moment.) Then from Spaceman on things got progressively better. Stereotypes being another unexpected highlight. Damon's jab at trump gave me a smile... And the band sounded great all night really.

After Song 2 I was pretty tempted to scream out for We've Got a File On You. Wine talking mostly.. but the crowd was so amped up and energized at that point, they might have been able to sneak it in and have it work. Haha. Also slight, slight disappointment not to hear Caravan since I read they pulled that one out the other day. And a second, one song, encore would have been amazing, but that's alright. Great time, like others have commented, really nice seeing them fill the place.
Last edited by velvetvamp on 25 Oct 2015, 17:37, edited 2 times in total.

dunkaroo02

Post by dunkaroo02 » 25 Oct 2015, 16:26

PauloPanic wrote: But special mention goes to the leading man - Damon. He lived every word, every song and had an absolute blast on stage. Even in his melancholic moments (appeared to sob on his knees through Spaceman), he was loving every moment and knew what it was to play at MSG with Blur. It really was a special, special evening.
yeah I noticed this too - Damon seemed really, really happy to be there. Like he was having the time of his life. If nothing else, it made me hopeful that we'll get something more from the band in the future.

thespider

Post by thespider » 25 Oct 2015, 20:25

How close was it to being sold out?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Oct 2015, 21:14

It was sold out! I could tell Damon was very surprised and delighted by that.

sparkiepop

Post by sparkiepop » 25 Oct 2015, 23:05

It wasn't sold out, there were loads of empty seats in the stands. :/ (But don't tell the band that.)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Oct 2015, 23:13

I didn't notice any, but maybe that's because I was on the floor. It looked packed to me! And Rolling Stone, an employee of MSG, and Pauli (The Heavy Seas' drummer who was there) all said it was sold out. Maybe not though, but it was damn near close if it wasn't :P

sparkiepop

Post by sparkiepop » 25 Oct 2015, 23:29

Yeah, I was up in 117 and attendance was sparse. I could see gaps in all sections, it was probably at around 90% capacity. Made it good for dancing, though.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 26 Oct 2015, 01:47

I was up in the stands as well; though I would have loved to be on the floor the full stadium was a magnificent sight. Madison Square Garden is quite a place too! Anyway, there are so many things I could say but I'll keep it short: it was a f*cking blast. The band were in a great mood (Graham rolled around on the floor more times then I've ever seen) and though I was high up everyone in the crowd seemed to be on the same level of fandom as me and my friends. It was a really good crowd.

We waited around after but we were weak...WEAK I SAY. :cry: I usually don't give up so easy and have met Damon on many occasions, but we got restless and went for a drink. We were all pretty much half drunk anyway. :lol: Too bad though, looks like a hell of an after party. Where was it exactly and how did everyone get in??
Last edited by Sushi on 26 Oct 2015, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.

sparkiepop

Post by sparkiepop » 26 Oct 2015, 02:31

It was at Spin, Susan Sarandon's ping pong place. I was on the band's guestlist and had the wristband but it was pretty loose and I noticed more fans slipping in after a couple of hours. I looked for you, Sushi, at the Blur Superfan meetup - kept asking everyone if they were you. :(

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 26 Oct 2015, 02:59

Sparklepop, I was there too, and saw Dave playing ping pong, Alex hanging out, and played ping pong with Damon, but did not see Graham anywhere. Do you know if he was there and I missed him or did he not go?

sparkiepop

Post by sparkiepop » 26 Oct 2015, 03:19

His family was here so he went back to the hotel. He wasn't at the afterparty in Los Angeles, either. Dave running around the ping pong table with three other people was so funny to watch!

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 26 Oct 2015, 04:18

sparkiepop wrote:It was at Spin, Susan Sarandon's ping pong place. I was on the band's guestlist and had the wristband but it was pretty loose and I noticed more fans slipping in after a couple of hours. I looked for you, Sushi, at the Blur Superfan meetup - kept asking everyone if they were you. :(
Noooooooooooooooooo!!! This is so sad. We ended up at another place completely. I feel stupid. :x

thespider

Post by thespider » 26 Oct 2015, 08:07

So glad that everyone who went to the NYC and LA gigs had a great time. In 2012 I'd waited 13 years to see Blur again (with Graham). But for you guys it was even longer. Or for some it was the first time.

This is how I'll feel if I ever get to see Bowie live.

Which I won't. :(

eloisekate

Post by eloisekate » 26 Oct 2015, 10:06

hey Bowie's just confirmed the release date for his album, you never know ;)