BLUR DOCUMENTARY: New World Towers

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JAIME

Re: BLUR DOCUMENTARY: New World Towers

Post by JAIME » 16 Nov 2015, 14:41

aldamasta wrote:I like that you called it a new era JAIME 8-) :D
:D

munch

Post by munch » 17 Nov 2015, 06:59

any news on worldwide?
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 18 Nov 2015, 12:30

Liese wrote:
dougharrison wrote:
aldamasta wrote:Nice interview with the director, Sam Wrench, on Noisey. Sounds like this is gonna be a great film :) http://noisey.vice.com/blog/blur-new-wo ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interestingly the guy who conducted the interview is planning to do a "third" film. Presumably he is thinking about an updated overall history, would obviously be hard to do something that complements, rather than competes, with what's already out there...
I took that to be a joke?
Possibly, I thought it was a bit too tucked away to be an obvious joke, plus I dont think Blur would be happy for another one so soon. I'm unfamiliar with noisey.vice.com or the journalist, so no idea if it was tongue in cheek

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 19 Nov 2015, 17:26

The documentary will be shown at the Porto/Post/Doc film festival on 2nd December:
http://www.portopostdoc.com/home/noticias/view?id=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mizzuzjoja

Post by mizzuzjoja » 20 Nov 2015, 04:14

I caught the NYC showing a few days ago. Very curious to hear what other people think.

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 22 Nov 2015, 02:34

I was at the NYC showing too. I would say it was maybe half full (if that) as many more people were going to see the Janis Joplin film and the director was not there to answer questions after. It almost seemed like a late addition to the festival because I don't think it was mentioned in the program handed out.

Overall, as a Blur fan it made me happy (anything Blur usually does), but I agree with whoever said there was too much live footage. It seemed like a significant portion of the film was dedicated to live performances of full songs on TMW and other albums. The performances were awesome, but having seen so many before I really wanted more band insight.

From the interviews, I think the film could have used more Graham insight. I felt it was a little Damon and Alex heavy, and while often Graham has an interesting take on things or unique way of expressing himself in interviews, but here he was a little muted. Alex is sort of like Blur's number one fan or cheerleader in a way, he may love Blur more than anyone and does a great job of adding to the band's mythology. Dave did not really get as much screen time.

The in studio footage from HK was really cool. I also liked the footage with Graham and Stephen Street. A little more studio insight from Street and Graham on the process from demo to HK jams to finished tunes definitely would have been cool. Like how Ice Cream Man came together or what guitar parts Graham added back in London.

Overall, definitely worth the trip and very enjoyable…I think everyone here will like it, but many of you like me, may want more Blur-nerd type information or insights that this film does not have.

mizzuzjoja

Post by mizzuzjoja » 23 Nov 2015, 03:11

I found the film rather boring, overall, and left the theater wondering why it was even made in the first place. We've already heard the basic story of The Magic Whip's genesis ad nauseam, and "New World Towers" adds very little to it. (The only mildly interesting factoid I learned is that "I Broadcast" was, in fact, demoed in Hong Kong; I'm pretty sure I remember having read somewhere a while back that that one was the only track written and recorded later, back in London, though I could be wrong about that...) There's way too much live footage, and it's all taken from the same two shows (BST Hyde Park and Hong Kong, the latter of which was in no way noteworthy except that it happened to take place in Hong Kong)—nothing from MODE, or even Brooklyn? The interviews with the band (and Mr. Street) are largely superficial, occasionally trite, and consequently not especially revelatory. I got a few laughs out of it, mostly courtesy of Graham (the runaway star of the show), but I was ultimately pretty disappointed. The best part by far is the acoustic performance of a Blur classic that accompanies the end credits.

The thirty-minute documentary that came out earlier this year, "The Magic Whip: Made In Hong Kong," is much more interesting, for my money. (Doesn't even merit comparison to "Starshaped" or "No Distance Left To Run.")

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 23 Nov 2015, 14:31

^very interesting takes from both of you. Makes one wonder why it was released in the first place, especially as you mentioned that there was the earlier (superior) documentary.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Nov 2015, 18:50

I'll reserve judgment until I've seen it as to whether it adds much to the sum total of what we know, but it can't be too bad having a new Blur doc to look forward to. :)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Nov 2015, 19:29

Disappointing to hear that no footage from the MODE or Brooklyn shows was included in this documentary. I can see why they want to include Hyde Park footage but if I'm honest I'm growing tired of Hyde Park releases. What they should have done, by the sounds of it, is included something no-one has seen this year, something like audio/footage of Ice Cream man from MODE which would have been a huge thing unique to the documentary. But obviously not. A damn shame.

I still want to watch it but I'm in no rush, I'll probably wait until it's on TV next year.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 24 Nov 2015, 00:58

tom_cas1 wrote:Disappointing to hear that no footage from the MODE or Brooklyn shows was included in this documentary. I can see why they want to include Hyde Park footage but if I'm honest I'm growing tired of Hyde Park releases. What they should have done, by the sounds of it, is included something no-one has seen this year, something like audio/footage of Ice Cream man from MODE which would have been a huge thing unique to the documentary. But obviously not. A damn shame.

I still want to watch it but I'm in no rush, I'll probably wait until it's on TV next year.

Think I'm waiting for the DVD too, am heading from Newquay back to Eastbourne that afternoon/evening, early reports dont really warrant forcing a guy who doesn't really like them to sit through it on the way back! Will almost certainly buy it when it is released on DVD, but i'm not sure I need to see them talk about being in Hong Kong because a gig was cancelled and they thought, why not just jam in the studio, then about how they all forgot about it until Graham decided one day to take a look at it and how he only really trusted Ste... all interspersed with stock footage of a city I know pretty well and footage from 2 gigs (1 of which I attended and the other is up on youtube).

I mean I'm glad to have it and will almost definitely pre-order it and watch it at my first convenience, but given my plans for the day this seems like a bit too much hassle for too little reward, very much looking forward to the DVD (probably a blu-ray as well I guess) and hoping for some good extras (although I suspect it will be either HK or HP full gigs.)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 24 Nov 2015, 14:34

^my thoughts exactly.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Kibarry

Post by Kibarry » 26 Nov 2015, 00:20

I don't know if it's a spoiler or not, but could someone who saw it post/send me a message/email saying what live songs are in the doc?

rich

Post by rich » 27 Nov 2015, 19:04

short review of NWT in today's grauniad - pretty much what people here have said...
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/no ... ocumentary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shame they had to use a 2009 pic - lazy :roll:

but I'm still going to go and see it, determined fan that I am :)
back row Leicester Square Vue - anyone else?

rich 8-)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 27 Nov 2015, 19:11

Yep, I'm off to see it next week mid week too, in Bristol though of course. I'm sure it will be pretty decent even if not revelatory.