Smoggy appreciation thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Caitlin

Smoggy appreciation thread

Post by Caitlin » 11 Jun 2015, 20:42

After what happened at Blackpool the other night, it reminded me what a great bloke Smoggy is. If you've seen any gig with Damon you'll have an idea of how spectacularly he does a very hard job (keeping Damon under control/safe can be a handful at times :P).

So, yknow, go Smog! I'm grateful for all the times he's looked after my mates/kept them safe at gigs, how many times he's stopped Damon/someone else getting choked by the microphone chord when its crowd surfing time, and just the general sense of calm and safety he brings when you're up front on rail.

Met him in 2010(?) for the Gorillaz tour down here, absolutely lovely bloke.

trimmtrabb

Re: Smoggy appreciation thread

Post by trimmtrabb » 11 Jun 2015, 20:50

very true! :-) thanks smoggy.
don't know if anyone else who was at the glasgow gig noticed but the entire night graham and smoggy were pulling funny faces at each other across the stage!

Liese

Post by Liese » 11 Jun 2015, 20:58

Absolutely true -- last night was a bit scary, but as I said in the gig thread, Smoggy (and the band's other crew) did a tremendous job.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Sean

Post by Sean » 11 Jun 2015, 21:50

He's a top bloke. I spoke to him about the incident briefly in a bar after the show. Stu's sound too. Is it me or is it a bit mad Blur having these two lads who aren't in the band but are seen as kinda legends with almost cult status among the fans. I don't know if any other bands have these characters affiliated to them but it feels very Blur to me - that kind of genuine family or gang vibe they have going on. It's lovely.

Anyway - Smoggy!
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 11 Jun 2015, 22:31

Smoggy intervening with the security staff at last year's Royal Albert Hall was class! Also He kept digging at Damon to get blur back together during the last decade.

Top fella Smog!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

themanwholefthimself

Post by themanwholefthimself » 11 Jun 2015, 22:58

This is exactly what this forum needed, some appreciation for our beloved Smog! He's beyond anything we know. He's the big brother we all wish to have and the best friend ever. He's like Superman, disguised as Clark Kent, saving the day countless time inadvertently most of the times.

There is so much we all must thank him for, he encouraged Damon and the band to get together and has saved Damon from injuries so many times (mostly Damon, but also the rest of the band and some fans as well), and his huge spirit and presence is always respected when he's around, so much he's got a voice and a vote on many important decisions the band has made.

What else can i say? I love the man! He has a beautiful soul and is a wonderful human being. Cheers!

daii

Post by daii » 11 Jun 2015, 23:12

In 2013 when Blur played in argentina I was at the front row and it was a really hot. I asked to the festival security for water and they didn't give a shit. Smoggy heard it and came to me with a big dispenser, he gave me water and I helped him to fill cups for everyone. :D

lovely human being.

smoggy having a GOOD TIME (sometimes I think damon is thinking all day how to complicate smoggy's life) :mrgreen: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZYAnJxrFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hard work

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Jun 2015, 08:09

Yes, top man Smoggy. Deserves all this praise and more.

Who'd have thought you could make a living out of holding on to the back of Damon's trousers all these years? :lol:

Sean

Post by Sean » 12 Jun 2015, 08:37

101reykjavik wrote:Yes, top man Smoggy. Deserves all this praise and more.

Who'd have thought you could make a living out of holding on to the back of Damon's trousers all these years? :lol:
:lol:

I was gonna say - I wonder what he does when Blur aren't touring? He must have a day job? But if he does they'd have to be most accommodating with their annual leave. :mrgreen:

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 12 Jun 2015, 09:15

101reykjavik wrote: Who'd have thought you could make a living out of holding on to the back of Damon's trousers all these years? :lol:
I think I'd do it very gladly for free :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 12 Jun 2015, 09:23

Doesn't Smog have his own gig security business? I'm sure He's worked with other bands.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 12 Jun 2015, 09:50

I read somewhere that before this job with blur, he was a massive blur fan. Is that true?
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Sean

Post by Sean » 12 Jun 2015, 11:02

He doesn't really strike me as the kind of dude who'd be into Blur :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm wrong though :D

themanwholefthimself

Post by themanwholefthimself » 12 Jun 2015, 14:40

Leahscarlet2 wrote:I read somewhere that before this job with blur, he was a massive blur fan. Is that true?
That is correct. He's been always a big Blur fan and supporter until he was asked to join the crew as minder. Actually, Smog was co-founder of the very first Blur Fan Club!

themanwholefthimself

Post by themanwholefthimself » 12 Jun 2015, 14:43

Sean wrote:He doesn't really strike me as the kind of dude who'd be into Blur :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm wrong though :D
At first, he was into Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses until he heard of a new band named Blur and the rest is history :)