Gig: Isle of Wight Festival, 13 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: Gig: Isle of Wight Festival, 13 June

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2015, 10:45

bugman wrote:
munch wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Well it seems they're playing less and less Magic Whip songs as the gigs go on, so glad some of us got to see them at MODE and Wolverhampton.
it's a festival!
So what? Reading 2003.Its a festival. They played 12 songs from Think tank
Agreed, saying they shouldn't play new songs at festivals is as dumb as it gets. By that logic they shouldn't have played Parklife when it came out, or Song 2, or in fact ANY new material at all at any festival they've ever played.

I don't know why they've changed the setlist so much from Wolverhampton/Glasgow and I'm still stunned as to why Pyongyang isn't being played AT ALL. People want to hear new material, time to tell Phil Daniels to stay at home.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 15 Jun 2015, 11:13

^you ask the people at this festival, I'm certain a (vast) majority would rather hear Parklife than new material.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2015, 11:28

Parklife was just an example. They should play as many new songs as possible and ditch a few old ones. To The End for example, no sane fan would want that over Pyongyang surely??
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 15 Jun 2015, 11:31

I would die for To The End over Pyongyang... It bores me. to The End is a classic.

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 15 Jun 2015, 11:57

Caitlin wrote:I would die for To The End over Pyongyang... It bores me. to The End is a classic.
Noooo Caitlin!!! Pyongyang live is a pysch masterpiece haha. I'll be so sad if they don't play that in Aus

munch

Post by munch » 15 Jun 2015, 12:02

UnderThePuritan wrote:
Caitlin wrote:I would die for To The End over Pyongyang... It bores me. to The End is a classic.
Noooo Caitlin!!! Pyongyang live is a pysch masterpiece haha. I'll be so sad if they don't play that in Aus
same
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Liese

Post by Liese » 15 Jun 2015, 12:06

munch wrote:
UnderThePuritan wrote:
same
Then why don't we just all agree that the Universal should be swapped for Pyongyang? :P

Don't get me wrong, it is a classic and great blur song, but it is also the only song that has been played at every blur gig since 2009 (correct me if I am wrong) and always at the same position, i.e. at the very end... Pyongyang is just as epic and would be a great change!
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Sean

Post by Sean » 15 Jun 2015, 12:19

tom_cas1 wrote:
Agreed, saying they shouldn't play new songs at festivals is as dumb as it gets.
You'd better tell the band then. :lol:

Besides, no-one said they "shouldn't play new songs at festivals" - the point is not to go too heavy on new stuff at a festival. Which is exactly what Blur did at IoW, quite rightly.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

JackS

Post by JackS » 15 Jun 2015, 12:21

I do think some of the less popular old material could (and maybe should) have been dropped for more new stuff.

I mean - this isn't a legacy band who have come out and released an album 10 people bought. This is a UK number one.

Historically, Blur have always played new material heavy gigs when new albums have come out. I quoted some examples a few posts back: Reading 03 and Glastonbury 98 in particular.

I think, what's most likely to have happened here, is the IOW slot they were given was quite short and they had to make cuts accordingly, and perhaps Damon felt more comfortable with some of the older songs with his dodgy voice - and that's fine. I just really hope some of these new songs make a comeback tonight in Paris, and in Hyde Park on Saturday.

Sean

Post by Sean » 15 Jun 2015, 12:23

JackS wrote:I just really hope some of these new songs make a comeback tonight in Paris, and in Hyde Park on Saturday.
Of course they will, those are shows where people have specifically and solely paid to go and see Blur. Unlike the IoW where it's a crowd almost entirely of people who would be there whether Blur were playing or not. Totally different beasts.

Vern

Post by Vern » 15 Jun 2015, 12:57

Caitlin wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Well it seems they're playing less and less Magic Whip songs as the gigs go on, so glad some of us got to see them at MODE and Wolverhampton.
Man, I had absolutely no idea you went to Wolves or MODE, Tom. You're so lucky!
And he also forgot to mention again that they did NOT play ICE CREAM MAN which he got to witness the ONLY time they played it at the MODE show. :lol:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2015, 13:02

Sorry but one of the draws of a Blur show this year is to hear new material, festival or not. Magic Whip songs shouldn't be dropped just because they're playing to a festival crowd. I'd be a tad annoyed if I shelled out £80 on a Hyde Park ticket to find out they only play 2-3 new songs. And at the end of the day if people don't like the new songs then they can leave.

Sean

Post by Sean » 15 Jun 2015, 13:43

Vern wrote:
Caitlin wrote:
Man, I had absolutely no idea you went to Wolves or MODE, Tom. You're so lucky!
And he also forgot to mention again that they did NOT play ICE CREAM MAN which he got to witness the ONLY time they played it at the MODE show. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sean

Post by Sean » 15 Jun 2015, 13:47

tom_cas1 wrote:Sorry but one of the draws of a Blur show this year is to hear new material, festival or not. Magic Whip songs shouldn't be dropped just because they're playing to a festival crowd. I'd be a tad annoyed if I shelled out £80 on a Hyde Park ticket to find out they only play 2-3 new songs. And at the end of the day if people don't like the new songs then they can leave.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't categorise Hyde Park with the actual, proper festivals. It's a big, fancy Blur gig and the vast majority of paying punters have paid to see Blur. With actual festivals people just go anyway regardless of who is playing (or alternatively, they go having considered the line-up as a whole), so you have a much more casual crowd who won't care for new songs. Of course there'll be more casual fans at Hyde Park than any of the 'warm-up' shows but it won't be a 'festival crowd' and it'll be a surprise if it's a festival set.

My bet is the HP set will be more or less what we saw in Glasgow.

dunkaroo02

Post by dunkaroo02 » 15 Jun 2015, 14:13

tom_cas1 wrote:Sorry but one of the draws of a Blur show this year is to hear new material, festival or not. Magic Whip songs shouldn't be dropped just because they're playing to a festival crowd. I'd be a tad annoyed if I shelled out £80 on a Hyde Park ticket to find out they only play 2-3 new songs. And at the end of the day if people don't like the new songs then they can leave.
the difference between Hyde Park and Isle of Wight is that people will be going to HP specifically to see Blur, so of course they'll play more Magic Whip stuff. At Isle of Wight they smartly played to the casual fan, which is what most people in the crowd probably were. Eschewing your old hits for new stuff is the best way to have a disaster festival set.