Gig: BST Hyde Park, London, 20 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Neal Zeal

Gig: BST Hyde Park, London, 20 Jun 2015

Post by Neal Zeal » 10 Jun 2015, 13:24

Couldn't see a thread for this concert - apols if there is one (and please merge).
Well, I'm around on June 20th, I love Blur, and I love seeing them in Hyde Park (40 mins from where I live).
But ... I haven't bought a ticket.
Why? I'm really put off by all the other bands. There's not a single one whose songs I know (although I heard something by Gunge recently which I liked).
I wouldn't expect to know or like all the bands in the line-up.
But with tickets at £80 (I think) I'd want there to be at least two or three that I'd pay to see.
Anyone else feel similarly?
One of the other days has The Who, P Weller, K Chiefs and J Marr i.e. four very well known bands (although not all my cuppa tea).
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 10 Jun 2015, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

bushmonkey

Re: Concert - Hyde Park

Post by bushmonkey » 10 Jun 2015, 13:29

I feel exactly the same. I live in London (zone 4). I'm put off by price, which is £90!

This obviously includes a £5 "convenience fee". WTF?!

Also, yes, line-up is awful.

bushmonkey

Post by bushmonkey » 10 Jun 2015, 13:40

I'd snap one up at £45-50. I image lots of others would have too!

gwyper

Post by gwyper » 10 Jun 2015, 13:41

The line-up isn't great.

You could pick a ticket up for £40-50 most likely from Gumtree etc. I listed both mine for £90 in the Sell section of this forum, but after seeing them again last night I'm now thinking about travelling down!

For info, I bought them as part of a combination package, which is why I hadn't organised in the first place.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 10 Jun 2015, 13:53

Don't understand all the hate towards the lineup. Both The Horrors and Metronomy are two of the biggest 'indie bands' in the UK at the moment, and frankly a lot more relevant than Weller, Kaiser Chiefs et al.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 10 Jun 2015, 14:01

Fairly similar situation here.

To be fair I like Metronomy a lot, but have seen them live twice already, so wouldn't go out of my way to watch them at a festival style scenario. Curious about a couple of others, The Horrors and Drenge (based purely on reputation) but not enough to justify the ticket price to me. I'm at a course in Hastings until approx 4.30 so would probably only arrive in time for Blur, cost of travel thrown in plus food too and I guess I'm looking at almost £150, to go and see Blur, in a venue where I'm not allowed to get close to the front (thanks to super executive VIP tickets) with major sound issues.

Actually more tempted to try and drive 4/5 hours up to Llandudno after work tomorrow and see if I can blag a ticket, for what would probably be a very similar price all things considered. Was very lucky to be at Mode, which is one more gig than I expected to make due to personal circumstances, exceptionally unlikely to be in Asia for the HK gig, so think it's only one TMW gig for me this time round, and the first Blur gig I've missed within 150 miles of where I live for 15 years!

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 10 Jun 2015, 14:12

I'm ready to go to Hyde Park, and I'm absolutely excited because this will be my 1st visit to Europe.

We'll be at least 6 Chilean Blur fans in the 1st row(hopefully) at Hyde Park. :P

I really don't care too much about the other bands that day, I'm only interested in Blur, but some friends tell me that The Horrors are great. Let's see what happens.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 10 Jun 2015, 14:59

He's So High wrote:Don't understand all the hate towards the lineup. Both The Horrors and Metronomy are two of the biggest 'indie bands' in the UK at the moment, and frankly a lot more relevant than Weller, Kaiser Chiefs et al.
No hate towards the line-up, I just don't know them at all.
I've just checked the figures, and neither the Horrors nor the Metronomy last albums even went silver so I'd say they are small to medium (at a push) indie bands, really.
Expect a big chunk of Blur fans (three quarters maybe) are over 35 and wrongly or rightly won't be that fussed about relatively obscure modern indie bands.
To have good sales for a £90 one-day ticket you just need a much stronger line up. I don't like Weller and am not too fussed about Kaiser Chiefs but they both have arena-sized fan bases so people into that kind of music will be happy to pay to see several large bands.
Just checked Gumtree (thanks for the suggestion!) and tickets are going for around £60. Guess that will drop as the date approaches. Would happily snap one up for £50...
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 10 Jun 2015, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 10 Jun 2015, 15:18

Awful line-up. Really thought some more well known established acts would have been added.
I paid extra for the priority entry in case there is a sectioned off bit near the front so I can get in it. So I've got to be there for midday. Gonna be a long afternoon.

Wippet

Post by Wippet » 10 Jun 2015, 15:57

They need another big band to entice the punters, which this late in the day is not gonna happen.Defo check out the Horrors if you can, very good live, however not sure they could come across that well on the big stage.

Leahscarlet2

Re: Gig: BST Hyde Park, 20 June

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 10 Jun 2015, 16:38

I bought a ticket as soon as the presale was available as I've never seen blur before and was worried they would not play any other shows. Was really shocked by the prices (bought two tickets) but bought anyway..then a couple of weeks later the lineup was announced and I've heard OF these bands but don't know any songs by any of them which is a shame. I'm not a huge fan of the who, weller or the kaiser Chiefs but they've all got 'well known' acts on their days. I think even another day has kylie minogue and chic of which I know music by both. I was holding out for another big act to be announced for blur but it's too late in the day now..this also was the most expensive day of all I believe. Really strange
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

danisrubbish

Post by danisrubbish » 10 Jun 2015, 17:35

Why don't you give some of the bands a listen if you aren't sure you'll like them? I saw Drenge for the second time and recently and they were great. It actually reminded me of some early Blur, when they used to really go for it, but maybe because it was the same venue I saw Blur in years ago. There are also some parallels with Teleman. Kind of new-wavey with thinned out guitars. Horrors are always ok and Metronomy have some good tunes. I'd agree it's a pricey ticket though. Top end price for a day festival. It does say there are going to be more announcements though, but I'm not holding out.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 10 Jun 2015, 18:07

The line up isn't stunning but I think it's okay. Metronomy isn't my bag but Teleman are pretty good. I need to hear more Drenge - only heard a track or two. Will familiarise myself. Jupiter Okwess International will be good fun. The African artists Damon works with / supports are generally brilliant musicians and I find those artists are usually great to groove to live. I wouldn't necessarily sit and listen to it at home, but it's infectious in a live setting.

danisrubbish

Post by danisrubbish » 11 Jun 2015, 07:56

I've just realised that there are four or five stages at the Hyde Park BST gigs. I'm assuming this means there will be acts on at the same time as Blur? That might be a bit weird.

http://bst-hydepark.s3.amazonaws.com/do ... ap_v12.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does say there will be day specific maps created too. I'd be interested to know timings.

Bloodbuzz459

Post by Bloodbuzz459 » 11 Jun 2015, 08:07

I've been to BST before. Usually the other stages finish before the main act comes on.

It is billed as a festival but essentially it is basically a gig for the main act.