B-Roads

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MrMagpie

Re: B-Roads

Post by MrMagpie » 29 Sep 2016, 13:37

Yes it is, and yes it is depressing, even more so in full.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

rich

Post by rich » 30 Sep 2016, 00:32

MrMagpie wrote:Yes it is, and yes it is depressing, even more so in full.
OK, so whoever holds the rights to BR is exercising a duty of care in not letting it loose on an unforgiving world?

I do get that. Makes sense to me...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 30 Sep 2016, 12:59

rich wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:Yes it is, and yes it is depressing, even more so in full.
OK, so whoever holds the rights to BR is exercising a duty of care in not letting it loose on an unforgiving world?

I do get that. Makes sense to me...
That's a good way to look at it 8-)

rob_graves

Post by rob_graves » 04 Oct 2016, 17:38

Yeah if there's some really embarrassing and personal stuff in it, definitely can see why they don't want it out. That being said if there's any live performances in it or portions that are ok for the world to view it would be cool to get like a short film/edit of it. 20 min or somethin'.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 Oct 2016, 17:50

It's probably something as ridiculous as one of them flopping their todger on the table while the others are eating dinner.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 Oct 2016, 06:21

I understand that in the aftermath of the 'Country House' chart battle etc, Graham was very stressed. It is common amongst music stars as their fame quickly ascends - demands upon them increase tenfold.

I recall an incident when I saw Blur live in December 1995. It was a great gig, the band performed faultlessly and Damon was inter-acting with the audience like a good frontman in his stride.

Though at one point, Damon and Graham talked briefly to each other between songs. Suddenly, Graham turned to the mic and shouted something like "No! I'm not f****** doing that, I'm not f****** doing that....".

Damon looked startled. You could tell that Graham was serious, this was not part of any entertainment. The flow of the gig was broken and there was a brief period of confusion before the band hesitantly went into another song and got back on track again.

If the B-Roads footage shows incidents like this, it may not look favourably upon Graham or the band.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 05 Oct 2016, 12:16

I think that's a great point Mallard. Those days around the mid-90s included some dark times of course. It might be definable sections or scenes as you suggest or simply an all pervading sense of 'ugh!' that they all felt towards it, that saw it binned permanently.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Oct 2016, 14:53

Who cares what they did though? It's history, over 20 years. RELEASE IT.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 05 Oct 2016, 16:59

I think both arguments are valid. Graham and co. being in a dark place, acting unlike themselves and in a way they wouldn't want to be seen by anyone beyond the people who experienced it first hand 20 years go. Release it now, cos it WAS 20 years ago, so why not? It would be neat to have a set of blur doc. DVDs/blu-rays. Starshaped, B-Roads for the first time ever, NDLTR, and NWT. Ultimately I think somebody with it in their possession should just leak it already, or at least allow us few fans who want nothing more than to see it a chance to do so, cos official release seems highly unlikely.

Mallard, your story was quite fascinating. Things like that make me appreciate how wonderful seeing them live last year was. Of course there are dozens of gigs I wish I could go back in time to see, but I'm not sure anything could beat the atmosphere of seeing the band in the highest of spirits. Many times they, Damon especially, just seemed to sort of stand back and marvel at how they had packed MSG, and there were tons of times that they would look at each other and smile uncontrollably, like they were having the times of their lives. :)

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 07 Oct 2016, 10:49

These are interesting points I haven't really thought about... Graham went through tough times and so did they all. You can't blame humans for being ashamed of actions – I did bad things five years ago and I don't want my new mates to see those or hear those lowlights. We're all prone to embarrassment and all of us are entitled to try and limit that damage. Lucky for Blur, they're rockstars who had their lowest moments before the rumour mill and constant recording of the internet. And they also all have kids: it is fair for them to defend themselves.

It is nice still having a few items to want and that allude us. I mean, it is a video, we will live without it, and we're not missing out on great songs like Radiohead fans are. I can survive without B-Roads.

Liese

Post by Liese » 10 Oct 2016, 09:40

Pavlich wrote:I can survive without B-Roads.
rare word of wisdom in this thread.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 10 Oct 2016, 16:48

As can I.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 10 Oct 2016, 21:30

We all can, but I think that almost all of us would watch it if they could. It's not that it is a super necessary thing and blur are committing a culture crime by not releasing it, but the fan is always curious, why can't she or he be? ;-)
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 11 Oct 2016, 00:34

MrMagpie wrote:

As can I.
Really? :roll:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Oct 2016, 07:42

I am not saying that B-Roads shouldn't be released. But sometimes things can be lurid. My reasoning is that Graham apparently was not in a good place when TGE was being toured.

I don't really recall anything in the press about this at the time. Since then I have read the book 'The Last Party' by John Harris (2003) and it describes the circumstances around the Bournemouth (International Centre) show. Journalists from Q Magazine were taken to one side by Damon and politely asked not to publish anything about Graham's behaviour. This involved severe drunkenness and depression, leading to violent outbursts.

I have to sympathise with Graham because they had of course been touring (including UK, USA, Europe, Japan and back to the UK again) since late summer. They were also doing TV and recording promos etc for new singles like 'The Universal'. And in music fans eyes they were losing ground to Oasis in the 'Britpop war'. All in all, a stressful time - remember Damon's subdued appearance on 'TFI Friday' when Oasis were about to sweep the BRIT Awards in early 1996.

The incident I recall at the gig was off-key, and a bit un-nerving to see. This was 8/12/95 at Newcastle-upon-Tyne Arena, two days after the Bournemouth incident. My copy of 'The Black Book' is the 2009 one, which doesn't have a review of either show. There is a review of the final date of the tour at Wembley Arena a few days later, on which Mr. Magpie notes that 'the band sounds a little tired'.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."