B-Roads

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: B-Roads

Postby Moritz » 28 Dec 2016, 15:13

I'm a bit uninformed in case of B-Roads, but was this movie already finished? So is it more a fragment or could one see it like a full cuted and synchronized movie in quality like Starshaped?
Moritz

Postby dougharrison » 28 Dec 2016, 19:29

Moritz wrote:I'm a bit uninformed in case of B-Roads, but was this movie already finished? So is it more a fragment or could one see it like a full cuted and synchronized movie in quality like Starshaped?

Please consider that it has been a few years now since I watched it and then I only watched it once. I think it's approximately 75 minutes long and given the time that has passed it seems unlikely that more content would be added to a final cut. Would suggest, from what I remember, that further editing and polish would be added to what is there as it seemed a little rough to me, lots of chopping and changing and cutting all over the place.

I think the bigger concern is probably the lack of narrative and that the amount of interesting stuff with the band is quite short. Given the media landscape has changed quite dramatically and that sub one-hour releases are not unusual, *in theory* something could be done to it, but would probably go against the initial concept, would still look incredibly dated as the footage is now over 20 years old. It would have very limited commercial appeal and would be critically slammed. I think (more of a guess really) that those concerned would prefer to release something faithful to the original vision as an extra for some future retrospective, or nothing at all.

Not really sure if I have answered your question there or not.
dougharrison

Postby 101reykjavik » 29 Dec 2016, 14:54

dougharrison wrote:
Moritz wrote:I'm a bit uninformed in case of B-Roads, but was this movie already finished? So is it more a fragment or could one see it like a full cuted and synchronized movie in quality like Starshaped?

Please consider that it has been a few years now since I watched it and then I only watched it once. I think it's approximately 75 minutes long and given the time that has passed it seems unlikely that more content would be added to a final cut. Would suggest, from what I remember, that further editing and polish would be added to what is there as it seemed a little rough to me, lots of chopping and changing and cutting all over the place.

I think the bigger concern is probably the lack of narrative and that the amount of interesting stuff with the band is quite short. Given the media landscape has changed quite dramatically and that sub one-hour releases are not unusual, *in theory* something could be done to it, but would probably go against the initial concept, would still look incredibly dated as the footage is now over 20 years old. It would have very limited commercial appeal and would be critically slammed. I think (more of a guess really) that those concerned would prefer to release something faithful to the original vision as an extra for some future retrospective, or nothing at all.

It's the only way I could imagine it seeing the light of day, on a further Blur 21 style package, where it wouldn't be the main focus but a mere 'extra' for us interested few. I'm sure you're right that the appetite to release it with any fanfare as a stanadalone piece is zero. Where's the incentive?
101reykjavik

Postby MrMagpie » 14 Jan 2017, 21:12

dougharrison wrote:

I agree with Doug. I've watched it maybe 2 or 3 times and to me, it's always seemed almost more of an art film, and very of-its-time (mid-1990s Britain). I'm not sure its appeal (if there is any in 2017) is timeless or would translate now beyond any but the most hardcore of fans.

For example, the Beatles A Hard Day's Night (the film) is very of-its-time, but it's still incredibly enjoyable and funny even now. B-Roads, I don't think that would be the case and it's only been 20 years vs. 50+ for the Beatles' film.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem
MrMagpie

Postby saltandgin » 15 Jan 2017, 01:24

Damn, I wish I had the contacts like you guys. :lol:
NOT for the likes of you. Image
saltandgin

Postby TracyJosh » 16 Jan 2017, 13:06

...I'm sure one day it will surface.
TracyJosh

Postby Liese » 24 Jan 2017, 14:08

Wow, I have not been on here for a while and was a little concerned when I saw this thread coming up. But I really appreciate the way this discussion has changed.

Doug, ever considered going into diplomacy? There'd be so many spots in the world where some more of this would be needed.

Also, I could not have put into better words my motivations for not sharing and leaking this (your points 3) and 4)). Ultimately, this is about friendship, loyalty and character, and hence something that has always drawn me towards this band and its members.

And by the way, a belated Happy New Year to you all!
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Liese

Postby dougharrison » 24 Jan 2017, 19:42

Liese wrote:
Doug, ever considered going into diplomacy? There'd be so many spots in the world where some more of this would be needed.

You are too kind Liese, I'm really not sure I'm smart enough for a career in diplomacy, but even if I were, being British kills any chance of being a respectable diplomat internationally and having a shred of integrity means I could not succeed domestically either
dougharrison

Postby saltandgin » 24 Jan 2017, 20:11

I'd personally like having some bits and pieces out there still. Most of Elliott Smiths unreleased work has been leaked, and there's something depressing about that final full stop, that final silence coming.
NOT for the likes of you. Image
saltandgin

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 25 Jan 2017, 07:07

dougharrison wrote:
Liese wrote:

You are too kind Liese, I'm really not sure I'm smart enough for a career in diplomacy, but even if I were, being British kills any chance of being a respectable diplomat internationally and having a shred of integrity means I could not succeed domestically either

:lol:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby beatfloh » 25 Jan 2017, 09:33

dougharrison wrote:
Liese wrote:

I agree with Liese, Doug if there's no place in diplomacy, you should at least consider writing
beatfloh

Postby dougharrison » 27 Jan 2017, 15:49

beatfloh wrote:
dougharrison wrote:
Liese wrote:

I agree with Liese, Doug if there's no place in diplomacy, you should at least consider writing

Again, i'm humbled by kind words from European friends :) However, I'm really not sure that I have anything interesting enough to say to justify a career in writing. Buggles may or may not consider penning Twitter Killed the Literary Star...
dougharrison

PreviousNext

Return to Blur