B-Roads

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

stephen

Re: B-Roads

Post by stephen » 05 Feb 2018, 12:17

The tragedy of this is how little anyone else in the world gives the slightest f*#% about its existence
You're not wrong there.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Vern

Post by Vern » 05 Feb 2018, 21:36

This thing is going to leak someday, I have no doubt.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 06 Feb 2018, 13:12

Vern wrote:This thing is going to leak someday, I have no doubt.
That's the spirit!

There could well never be another Blur album, it's the only content of any significance to look forward to being available at some point in the foreseeable..

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 07 Feb 2018, 06:46

We're always fascinated with the unknown. I so badly wanted to see some Hong Kong recording video but it was not as good as I hoped. Hopefully more of that will be released someday too.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 07 Feb 2018, 10:42

If Pitchfork put up a headline saying 'Blur release 25 year old lost documentary' it would be news and people would give a shit, for sure.

The people who have this are by no means getting more interested in the band and less occupied with life. I'd say they're losing touch with forums and caring less so in a way the chances of them being privy enough to upload things privately and message the 10-20 active users on here is unlikely. They probably hold it and will see it thrown out on an old laptop they gave up.

At the same time, as great as it would be to sit down one night with a six pack and watch this all, and as enticing as mystery always is (I mean this is our last real beacon, right?), these are four humans with intense ups and downs and relationship strains. As privileged and great as their lives have been and are, it's obvious this film has a lot of shots of a broken person or two in their absolute lowest. Not only is it a painful reminder, but an embarrassing reminder – ever woken up ashamed of something minute after a night out? Imagine that on film coming to you as a man closer to old age than youth.

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 Feb 2018, 11:18

Pavlich wrote:Not only is it a painful reminder, but an embarrassing reminder – ever woken up ashamed of something minute after a night out? Imagine that on film coming to you as a man closer to old age than youth.
Exactly, let it sit where it belongs. In the past.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 07 Feb 2018, 14:23

stephen wrote:
Pavlich wrote:Not only is it a painful reminder, but an embarrassing reminder – ever woken up ashamed of something minute after a night out? Imagine that on film coming to you as a man closer to old age than youth.
Have you seen it Stephen?

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 Feb 2018, 14:47

TracyJosh wrote:
stephen wrote:
Have you seen it Stephen?
No, I've got no interest in it. There's loads of 'live' footage and TV appearances around the time of B-Roads. Youtube is great for that. There's also starshaped and no distance left to run which I think gives enough material for the fans to enjoy. You don't have to be an expert to understand why the band want nothing to do with it and you have to respect those decisions. If at some stage the record label / band want to release something more official then great watch it then.

I'm sure that if you did get your hands on it you'd be bitterly disappointed so for me to drag something up like this the cons outweigh the pros.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 08 Feb 2018, 15:28

Stephen and Pavlich have this right.

FWIW The EMI cease and desist communications were issued around 2007 if my memory serves correctly. Definitely post TT and pre-reunion and whilst Graham-less, there was no planned Blur activity of any sorts and they had ceased to be a going concern to EMI - certainly more so than they are now.

I have it, watched it once and haven't watched it again. It looked dated when I watched it (over 5 years ago) and it would look worse now, I don't think there'll ever be an official release for that reason alone, but my previous comments about the project being disjointed and surreal remain just as valid today. I understand the mystery and the intrigue, but if this is genuinely the most interesting thing to you on this forum it says more about you as an enthusiastic completionist than it does about the quality of the project. I can relate, the most interesting thing to me remains the proposed punk/live style gig/ep that never happened circa 2005, but tbh it's hard to imagine they would have succeeded with a hard rock sound that was actually worthy of the band without GC.

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 13 Feb 2018, 14:07

It probably does belong in the past. However, I just can't help wanting to see it and the ridiculous excitement everytime there a new post on this page just IN CASE it's been shared. Blur and it's history are everything to me a d like alot of other people I'd just love to see it. Even if it is underwhelming in the end. Rant over

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 21 Feb 2018, 03:59

I can understand not wanting people to see the bad footage, but is there anything GOOD in this? Having fun? Performing? A short positive film is better than nothing.

JackS

Post by JackS » 22 Feb 2018, 09:54

It's an intrigue thing for me. I am not going to get worked up about it and I can't say I ever think about B-Roads beyond the once every 5 months I log onto this forum. But I do find myself agreeing with the sentiment that there is only about 50 people if that who give a shit about it, and done discreetly it probably wouldn't do any harm.

The challenge is how do you then prevent it becoming an accidental wider release. By extending the people who have it, by the very act of doing that you are increasing the likelihood of it getting on a public YouTube channel and then Pitchfork and then NME and then Twitter is broadcasting the lowest of the low, and the four humans involved will have to relive it (well, 3 of them since one apparently doesn't use the internet)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Feb 2018, 17:19

I love B-Roads because it used to be really taboo but the Streisand effect set in so much with fans here and on the old forum over the years that its not only an open discussion but one that is constantly added to despite being perhaps the least discussable Blur item in terms of how much of it we know to actually discuss.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 21 Feb 2019, 02:53

Go on leak it already!!

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 22 Feb 2019, 10:17

:geek: