Blur on TFI Friday special on 12th June 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Liese

Re: Blur on TFI Friday special on 12th June

Post by Liese » 13 Jun 2015, 20:15

miko wrote:Seeing it properly now without the sound delay and stuff it shows that apart from a little bit at the end, Damon didn't really sing at all, just mimed I guess :lol:
Given this was kind of a 90s revivial show they might as well have gone for a cardboard Damon. :lol:
miko wrote:Still no matter though Graham did a splendid job, and what a lovely touch with the backing vocalists.
Indeed. I really enjoyed it.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Jun 2015, 23:31

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/tfi- ... rn-5873751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lol

miko

Post by miko » 14 Jun 2015, 00:40

There was special praise for Graham after the track as host Chris Evans noted Damon had a sore throat, so his bandmate took over vocal duties.

Thanking him, the presenter added: "Taking one for the team."

Maybe the star had a bit of help with his performance, as the show was officially blessed by the Archbishop of York just before their appearance
wtf?...... :lol:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Jun 2015, 00:49

They got him on from out of nowhere and he sort of sprayed the audience with holy water. :lol:

Levitz

Post by Levitz » 14 Jun 2015, 03:18

@scott_mills: Just caught up on TFI Friday. Didn't see it last night. Erm.... Blur

@scott_mills: Nice to see them really making the effort there

@scott_mills: To be fair "coffee and TV" was always rubbish

Clueless.

3d

Post by 3d » 14 Jun 2015, 03:52

Sean wrote:Just watched the performance back here...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/tfi- ... /60679-001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it me or does, right at the very end when Graham decides to have one little last blast of distortion :lol: , the camera is on Damon and as Graham rips into it he seems to cast a glance of pure panic at Graham... :lol: ..."WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING MAN, THIS IS THE END!" ....but it all works out just fine. :mrgreen:
haha, clocked that too... loved it.... well done G

Sean

Post by Sean » 14 Jun 2015, 08:51

Levitz wrote:@scott_mills: Just caught up on TFI Friday. Didn't see it last night. Erm.... Blur

@scott_mills: Nice to see them really making the effort there

@scott_mills: To be fair "coffee and TV" was always rubbish

Clueless.

Totally clueless prick.

I must admit............as I've said before I always wanted Blur to make another record cos I knew they had a great record (or two) left in them, but my one worry was that they'd be out of place in today's uber-slick climate. Look at wank like Years & Years who were also on TFI. And Rudimental. Slick, robotic and soulless shite. And I think to many - not to any of us or those who have any nous whatsoever - Blur do seem almost out of place and a relic of another era.

Don't get me wrong, that's not how I see it - they're a proper band who are not robots and show little imperfections now and again. But people today want robotic, glossy shite, stuff that when played live sounds identical to their shitty records. And I think there's an element of that in how Blur's TFI performance is being received by casual observers and fucking bellends like Scott Mills.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Jun 2015, 09:08

I liked Blur's performance. I think it is likely that Damon, in the midst of touring, has a sore throat.

The show was much like I expected it to be. It wasn't too different to how it had been originally.

Though there were some subtleties, nodding to what Sean in the above post refers to as "today's ultra-slick climate". Memorable features of the original run, like 'Fat Lookalikes' and 'Ugly Bloke' were not included (or mentioned). They made sure that amends were made to the two youngsters who had lost the 'staring contest' in 1999. And the recurring ugly bloke ('Steve') wasn't included or referred to. Neither was Cedric (The 'Comment From The Caff' man) yet these guys had been prominent IIRC.

And (what I think of as) the current trend for including 'family life' in everything (albeit for financial reasons ultimately), Chris Evans had his daughter (and her husband) and his mother on the show.

As expected there was a slight tone of "we do everything correct now, whereas we didn't in the past". But the strange thing is, the 'political correctness' movement was already in full swing when TFI was first broadcast. If fat lookalikes and ugly bloke features are offensive now, they were just as much so then.

Watching the show got me to go back to some original broadcasts and compare. I had some on VHS in the depths of my collection. And there are loads out there on You Tube. Here is a good one with Damon, probably knowing that the Gallaghers were going to sweep up at the BRITS, being difficult for Chris to interview. Followed by a performance of 'Stereotypes' - Alex had his trademark ciggy in the mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeT4JxAheZg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 14 Jun 2015, 09:16

Oh well, That's Mr Mills opinion and I'm sure it got him the likes and retweets he wanted... Jog on.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 14 Jun 2015, 09:26

The day I take Scott Mills opinion on music seriously is the day I stop caring about music. Gormless pop puppet.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Jun 2015, 22:17

Scott Mills is worse than Chris Moyles imo.

(And no I don't like either)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2015, 11:12

Scott Mills lol, a radio has-been.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 Jun 2015, 13:19

Both the Telegraph and Independent moaned about Blur's performance :roll: :evil:

Sean

Post by Sean » 15 Jun 2015, 13:51

AdvertBreak wrote:Both the Telegraph and Independent moaned about Blur's performance :roll: :evil:
Blur looked like a slightly worn troupe of indie dads performing a lacklustre version of Coffee and TV, presumably chosen because the sheepish looking Damon Albarn didn't have to sing it.
....written by Neil McCormick. :roll:

Enough said. His idea of musical heaven is fucking U2. Kiss it, McCormick!
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 15 Jun 2015, 15:35

Sean wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:Both the Telegraph and Independent moaned about Blur's performance :roll: :evil:
Blur looked like a slightly worn troupe of indie dads performing a lacklustre version of Coffee and TV, presumably chosen because the sheepish looking Damon Albarn didn't have to sing it.
....written by Neil McCormick. :roll:

Enough said. His idea of musical heaven is fucking U2. Kiss it, McCormick!
Whilst it's clearly written to invoke derision, lets not forget 3 of the 4 do have teenage kids, as such they definitely are indie dads.
Think it was very transparent that's exactly why C&TV was chosen, as explained Damon's voice wasn't 100%.

If the quote is indicative of the review of Blur's performance as a whole it's fairly clear he hasn't understood (or tried to understand) what the song itself is about or what it's trying to achieve.

As per the Brits show, I hope Blur never appear on these sort of things and play note perfect, tempo perfect versions of songs already recorded. If I want to listen to the studio version of C&TV I can do that any time, sadly it's indicative of where the "entertainment" industry is at, as is the TFI compilation album (being that the songs are all studio version rather than live).