The Needle Drop's review of The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

zoozilla

Re: The Needle Drop's review of The Magic Whip

Post by zoozilla » 02 May 2015, 00:36

I dunno, "The Magic Whip" sounds like a solid collection of songs to me.

Interesting way to start off, though, with "Lonesome Street," a lushly orchestrated track. You'd think that the first Blur album with Graham Coxon in 16 years would start off with at least a hint of guitar.

Then "New World Towers" is quite an abrupt change of pace, with a pronounced Middle Eastern influence. Again, not much of a spotlight on guitar. I wonder why?

"Go Out" follows, and it's the first time we hear really forceful guitar on the album. It's got a good driving beat to it. A lot of range on this album, so far.

"Ice Cream Man" is another lushly orchestrated track, backed by a lonely finger-picked guitar. It's quite a soft, melancholy song about isolation in the modern world. Don't know how ice cream fits in. This sounds like it could have been off Damon's solo album, there are no traces of the other band members.

"Thought I Was a Spaceman" is another mellow track, featuring some unconventional instrumentation. Again, this track features a Middle Eastern-vibe. I have to say, so far I haven't heard any Hong Kong in these songs at all.

"I Broadcast" features Graham on lead vocals on an acoustic track - following in the tradition of "You're So Great" and "Coffee + TV." I like it! The overall impression I get of the album thus far is that it's quite subdued. At this point I think I'd like something at a slightly faster tempo.

"My Terracotta Heart" is supposedly about the relationship between Damon and Graham, but if it its it's pretty obtuse about it. This is another slower song, with a groovy horn section adding some fun texture.

"There Are Too Many of Us" begins with a simple guitar lick before a chorus of "Everybo~dy" starts up and runs throughout the song. The guitar solo on this song is again, tinged with a Middle Eastern/African feel. In some ways these songs feel like a return to the sound of the Think Tank sessions, which took place in Morocco.

"Ghost Ship" is an experimental track, without a clear verse-chorus structure. In fact, it's got the loose, messy feel of their last effort as a four-piece, 13. Damon's singing is mostly unintelligible, I suppose he might've said the words "ghost ship" somewhere in there.

With "Pyongyang" we get the first overt reference to Hong Kong, with its East Asian-inspired instrumentation. A return to the orchestration of "Lonesome Street" and "Ice Cream Man," there's little discernible input by Graham, Dave, or Alex. Impressive that they could pull off such a complex arrangement in the space of five days in a cramped Hong Kong studio, though.

"Ong Ong" stands in stark contrast to the lushness of "Pyongyang." It's a simple but sweet song with charmingly nonsensical lyrics about different colors. Ong ong, indeed.

Final track "Mirrorball" goes in another direction yet again, with simple electronic beats leading into the refrain: "Don't bomb when you're the bomb." It's just like Damon to use an unconventional phrase like "mirrorball" to describe a bomb. It's definitely a risky track to end the album with, as it sounds pretty different from anything else on the record.

All in all, Blur's first release in over a decade is a surprising one, indeed. Perhaps what's most surprising is the lack of Graham Coxon's signature guitar on many of the tracks. Given that he was the one who took the initiative to turn the band's Hong Kong jams into structured songs, you'd think that Graham would prefer songs with stronger guitar elements. I guess I underestimated the man's humility.

The range of styles covered by the songs on "Magic Whip" is so large that I'm compelled to call the album disjointed. There's no solid musical throughline like on the band's previous output. That said, the songs are uniquely interesting and can solidly stand on their own.

7/10.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 02 May 2015, 00:38

FTR This forum has been screenshot on there

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 02 May 2015, 00:39

a song called Mirrorball with the lyrics ''Don't bomb when you're the bomb, don't bomb, don't bomb when you're the bomb, bomb, bo-bo-bo-bomb''

Miki

Post by Miki » 02 May 2015, 00:56

zoozilla wrote:I dunno, "The Magic Whip" sounds like a solid collection of songs to me.

Interesting way to start off, though, with "Lonesome Street," a lushly orchestrated track. You'd think that the first Blur album with Graham Coxon in 16 years would start off with at least a hint of guitar.

Then "New World Towers" is quite an abrupt change of pace, with a pronounced Middle Eastern influence. Again, not much of a spotlight on guitar. I wonder why?

"Go Out" follows, and it's the first time we hear really forceful guitar on the album. It's got a good driving beat to it. A lot of range on this album, so far.

"Ice Cream Man" is another lushly orchestrated track, backed by a lonely finger-picked guitar. It's quite a soft, melancholy song about isolation in the modern world. Don't know how ice cream fits in. This sounds like it could have been off Damon's solo album, there are no traces of the other band members.

"Thought I Was a Spaceman" is another mellow track, featuring some unconventional instrumentation. Again, this track features a Middle Eastern-vibe. I have to say, so far I haven't heard any Hong Kong in these songs at all.

"I Broadcast" features Graham on lead vocals on an acoustic track - following in the tradition of "You're So Great" and "Coffee + TV." I like it! The overall impression I get of the album thus far is that it's quite subdued. At this point I think I'd like something at a slightly faster tempo.

"My Terracotta Heart" is supposedly about the relationship between Damon and Graham, but if it its it's pretty obtuse about it. This is another slower song, with a groovy horn section adding some fun texture.

"There Are Too Many of Us" begins with a simple guitar lick before a chorus of "Everybo~dy" starts up and runs throughout the song. The guitar solo on this song is again, tinged with a Middle Eastern/African feel. In some ways these songs feel like a return to the sound of the Think Tank sessions, which took place in Morocco.

"Ghost Ship" is an experimental track, without a clear verse-chorus structure. In fact, it's got the loose, messy feel of their last effort as a four-piece, 13. Damon's singing is mostly unintelligible, I suppose he might've said the words "ghost ship" somewhere in there.

With "Pyongyang" we get the first overt reference to Hong Kong, with its East Asian-inspired instrumentation. A return to the orchestration of "Lonesome Street" and "Ice Cream Man," there's little discernible input by Graham, Dave, or Alex. Impressive that they could pull off such a complex arrangement in the space of five days in a cramped Hong Kong studio, though.

"Ong Ong" stands in stark contrast to the lushness of "Pyongyang." It's a simple but sweet song with charmingly nonsensical lyrics about different colors. Ong ong, indeed.

Final track "Mirrorball" goes in another direction yet again, with simple electronic beats leading into the refrain: "Don't bomb when you're the bomb." It's just like Damon to use an unconventional phrase like "mirrorball" to describe a bomb. It's definitely a risky track to end the album with, as it sounds pretty different from anything else on the record.

All in all, Blur's first release in over a decade is a surprising one, indeed. Perhaps what's most surprising is the lack of Graham Coxon's signature guitar on many of the tracks. Given that he was the one who took the initiative to turn the band's Hong Kong jams into structured songs, you'd think that Graham would prefer songs with stronger guitar elements. I guess I underestimated the man's humility.

The range of styles covered by the songs on "Magic Whip" is so large that I'm compelled to call the album disjointed. There's no solid musical throughline like on the band's previous output. That said, the songs are uniquely interesting and can solidly stand on their own.

7/10.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Miki

Post by Miki » 02 May 2015, 01:01

^ Actually, that's not a bad compilation to have. I might burn a CD :mrgreen:

saltandgin

Post by saltandgin » 02 May 2015, 01:35

So is this reviewer famous or something?
NOT for the likes of you. Image

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 02 May 2015, 01:36

saltandgin wrote:So is this reviewer famous or something?
kinda. he's big on 4chan because they have similar music tastes. he has a massive hard-on for death grips, odd future, and swans.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

SeverHense

Post by SeverHense » 02 May 2015, 01:39

That was definitely true a couple years ago, but his popularity has grown to the point where he now works full time doing reviews on Youtube. He's now got over 80,000,000 total views on his channel from all his videos.

Miki

Post by Miki » 02 May 2015, 01:39

saltandgin wrote:So is this reviewer famous or something?
Famous-ish. He posts on Youtube and has lots of subscribers and followers on Twitter. Enough to make money out of YT advertising, I think. Which makes him look like a real cheapskate downloading illegal leaks instead of buying the album... or at least listen to an official stream!

This is his channel https://www.youtube.com/user/theneedledrop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Miki on 02 May 2015, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 02 May 2015, 01:42

He's definitely famous, not famous-ish or whatever, and not just within music circles because my friends know about him.

Miki

Post by Miki » 02 May 2015, 01:43

I guess even more people will now :lol:

Seriously, this may all just be a ploy :P

wuw

Post by wuw » 02 May 2015, 04:49

Here's the review of the actual album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTt7YDzH054
He gave it a 7/10

Well that was quick.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 02 May 2015, 05:17

Apparently 7 is pretty good for his reviews too.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 02 May 2015, 05:33

correct score

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 02 May 2015, 05:53

He has a ''Loved list'' with his 8+ ratings, he liked, but perhaps not enough to get on that list