Blur 'Converse' Show Live In Brooklyn, 1st May 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Re: Blur 'Converse' Show Live In Brooklyn, 1st May

Post by Rubi » 04 May 2015, 12:34

Jensen wrote:Still, both songs sounded great in Tom's recording, so I don't know... maybe the technical difficulties were regarding the video part?
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 04 May 2015, 13:10

a Instagram profile called @blurnorthamerica comment that:
"Friday in Brooklyn Damon said the band still doesn't feel confident enough to play the song live."

Levitz

Post by Levitz » 04 May 2015, 13:24

Jensen wrote:
Rubi wrote:
It's not strange. Ice Cream Man and Ghost Ship were not included in the MODE stream due to technical difficulties. It had nothing to do with the band's performance per se.
Still, both songs sounded great in Tom's recording, so I don't know... maybe the technical difficulties were regarding the video part?

The fact is, Ice Cream Man hasn't been played since (and it wasn't even streamed properly) so it's about to gain cult status XDD

We though it sounded great, but if it doesn't sound like they want it to, I can understand as professionals they want to get it sounding perfect to them before they start playing it as a matter of course.

rich

Post by rich » 04 May 2015, 13:29

Ice Cream Man sounded great at MODE (I was lucky enough to be there :) ) but some of the background noises were different to the album version, as has been said before. The fact that they want to perfect this live adds credence to the theory that it will be coming as a summer single - maybe?

let's hope so...

rich 8-)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 04 May 2015, 13:37

Rubi wrote:
Jensen wrote:Still, both songs sounded great in Tom's recording, so I don't know... maybe the technical difficulties were regarding the video part?
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Sorry :oops:
rich wrote:Ice Cream Man sounded great at MODE (I was lucky enough to be there :) ) but some of the background noises were different to the album version, as has been said before. The fact that they want to perfect this live adds credence to the theory that it will be coming as a summer single - maybe?

let's hope so...

rich 8-)
I hope so too! :)

ciregno16

Post by ciregno16 » 04 May 2015, 17:14

This was such a fantastic show! One of the best I've ever been to. Blur was the last band on my bucket list to see live and I'm so glad I was able to make it. I haven't been able to get around to these forums until today but holy hell I'm still thinking about this gig. I ended up paying about 90 bucks for a ticket and 40 for another through two separate people on craigslist. My girlfriend was waiting on line for me so I was able to be up front and center for this gig. Tickets were scanned and ended up working. I didn't mind paying to see this gig but was surprised at how easy it was for me to find tickets.

The look on Alex's face when he walked out was something else. He looked so overwhelmed and shocked by the amount of people and love they were receiving when they first came out. Damon was as energetic as I think I've ever seen him (I've seen Gorillaz at Apollo, TGTB&TQ for a small soho gig, and his solo tour at Irving Plaza) but this gig was on a whole other plane. Graham seriously couldn't stop laughing during the show and looked very happy. Dave looked very relaxed. The highlight really was when Damon hugged all his band mates one by one in the middle of the set. It looks like people have stated the reason why they haven't played Ice Cream Man already.

There was this one particular instance, where Damon leaned into the crowd right by me and grabbed this girl's hand while staring/singing to her for a good 15 seconds. Damon even pulled her up towards him and the stage and throughout this, this girl was freaking out like a fan girl and Graham was hysterically laughing at the sequence of events for the rest of the song (it may have been during Ghost Ship). It looked like Graham Almost lost it and kept having to look away to hide his laughter. It was so great to see how happy the guys were to be there. The crowd clearly loved every second of this show and were by far the friendliest NY crowd I've ever been around. No douches. The only time people pushed was during the encore with Beetlebum and Song 2 but no one gave a crap since everyone was jumping anyway.

When Damon mentioned playing Ice Cream Man "if we'd have them back," the crowd erupted in response. To those who missed out, I think this crowd knew how big of a deal it was to have Blur there back in America after so many years, and we did everything in our power to show them that America truly does love Blur. I spoke to a couple of fans there who were pissed about the ticketing system, but it seems like we all got in. Here's to hoping that our positive energy and love that we showed them brings them back so that more Blur fans can see them live. They are truly in their musical peak together and it was magnificent to witness. Came away with one of Dave's drumsticks and they were giving away posters too. Damon, Graham and Alex all got into a van prior to the gig while I was waiting in line and I was fortunate enough to shake Damon's hand. He gave me a huge high five during Go Out. What an experience.

And all the Magic Whip songs sounded even better than the performances I've seen thus far. They're definitely tightening up their act and it really showed.

SeverHense

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by SeverHense » 05 May 2015, 00:51

Look who was on the front of the arts section in today's New York Times!

CrossWires

Post by CrossWires » 05 May 2015, 10:24

Ghost Ship and Song 2 from the gig. More stuff added this week apparently. http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/la ... -from-blur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blureu

Post by Blureu » 05 May 2015, 15:36

Nice! Might want to bump this topic back as an announcement.

CrossWires wrote:Ghost Ship and Song 2 from the gig. More stuff added this week apparently. http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/la ... -from-blur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sean

Post by Sean » 05 May 2015, 15:50

Another link for Ghost Ship (and Song 2)

http://www.sub.tv/videos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Sean on 05 May 2015, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 May 2015, 15:56

Can someone rip these for us?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 05 May 2015, 16:23

The Tele neck pickup is a good sound for Ghost Ship but I do miss the vibrato...

He's So High

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by He's So High » 05 May 2015, 16:34

SeverHense wrote:Look who was on the front of the arts section in today's New York Times!
Nice! Was it a good review?

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 05 May 2015, 16:44

tom_cas1 wrote:Can someone rip these for us?
https://mega.co.nz/#F!AMFzmJQb!gIbj8wPVxXvl12MpmnHQug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you know what to do

will add the rest as and when theyre released

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 May 2015, 16:52

Thanks chief!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...