Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon, 30 Apr 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
sara-m-a
Posts: 549
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 12:54
Location: Chile

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by sara-m-a » 01 May 2015, 15:47

I've boarded the ghost ship love bandwagon, and I think It would have been BRILLIANT if they'd played that one, pasty englishmen being so smooth? oh boy I can imagine the faces in The root's members' faces.

And blur going

Image

yeah we do that... we can do anything 8-)
Image

Danilo
Posts: 50
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 23:19
Location: Brazil

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by Danilo » 01 May 2015, 15:58

Blur does not need America .
America needs Blur , so they should play whatever they want .

La la la la la la la la la la la la ....
:twisted:

User avatar
sara-m-a
Posts: 549
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 12:54
Location: Chile

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by sara-m-a » 01 May 2015, 16:02

Danilo wrote:Blur does not need America .
America needs Blur , so they should play whatever they want .

La la la la la la la la la la la la ....
:twisted:
A revamp of the "y'all need Jesus!"

"Y'all need Blur, you fools!" :evil:
Image

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 301
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 17:16

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by Foggy » 01 May 2015, 16:06

sara-m-a wrote:I've boarded the ghost ship love bandwagon
Everybody seems to love that, yet to me it sounds like the sort of wishy-washy soft soul record that made me go off Lenny Kravitz 20 odd years ago.

I'm sure it'll click eventually.

Anyway, I don't think Ong Ong was a mistake. It's the most accessible and immediate tune on the album, but I guess the point is they can't please all the people all of the time. We've all different tastes and ideas. Let's just be glad that they're doing something for someone.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

jayums
Posts: 38
Joined: 22 Mar 2015, 13:56

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by jayums » 01 May 2015, 16:49

Sounded to me like they're really figuring out how to play the songs properly... The British tv performances were dodgy and that's the best performance of ong ong I've heard.

As for Brits band being faggy wankers, what's wrong with being faggy and/or wanking? I didn't realise this was some sort of weird cult with the aim of converting non believing disinterested Americans into liking Blur.

Blur will never ever ever ever be a successful band in America...Why on Earth do you want them to be? The fact is, music that has mass appeal in America is inevitably f@cking awful, and being universally popular is a sure sign of being shit.

I like blur cos I like them, I'm not interested in whether people who listen to Mumford and sons, Sam Smith and James Bay like them. In fact I rather hope they don't.

User avatar
Rubi
Posts: 1847
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Room on fire

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by Rubi » 01 May 2015, 17:12

They should have played Y'all Doomed. :mrgreen:

User avatar
themanwholefthimself
Posts: 181
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 17:50

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by themanwholefthimself » 01 May 2015, 17:26

jayums wrote:Sounded to me like they're really figuring out how to play the songs properly... The British tv performances were dodgy and that's the best performance of ong ong I've heard.

As for Brits band being faggy wankers, what's wrong with being faggy and/or wanking? I didn't realise this was some sort of weird cult with the aim of converting non believing disinterested Americans into liking Blur.

Blur will never ever ever ever be a successful band in America...Why on Earth do you want them to be? The fact is, music that has mass appeal in America is inevitably f@cking awful, and being universally popular is a sure sign of being shit.

I like blur cos I like them, I'm not interested in whether people who listen to Mumford and sons, Sam Smith and James Bay like them. In fact I rather hope they don't.
^Totally this!

I know this forum is for all us fans to express ourselves about our own experiences and share different opinions. We're not an homogeneous mass of fans who all like the same thing or been a fan for the same amount of time. There is diversity here, we should all understand and respect that. But it's true, sometimes some comments on what the band is doing, what they're playing and what not or the management not promoting the band properly, trends to be boring and annoying. I'm not saying it should stop but it should be measured.

I would like to imagine all the people here literally insulting someone here face to face, either the band itself, the management, etc,. Go tell them your opinion and see if they care, go ahead and tell Damon Ong Ong is shit on his face, or go to their manager and tell them they should play in your town. Go tell the band their choice of songs is stupid and they should play whatever you particularly like or consider is best. Go on and see if they care or see if you even dare. You go on with your trashy comments here, but whenever you see Graham online commenting here, you all go praise him. People need to understand that the band have a large group of professionals working behind them, advising, promoting, doing PR, etc., and if you don't like what they do, you're entitled to an opinion but it should end there, just as an opinion and stop taking it too serious.

You know the band is very aware of this forum and might have some sort of consideration for the forum at some level. What makes you think you're not hurting someone's feelings by saying something is shit? Or what makes you believe that you're making a fool of yourself by making such ridiculous statements?

Just think about it.

I love this forum because it's a common place for people like us who like Blur on some level and we couldn't get this passionate about Blur with anyone in the real world. I know trolls are an endless species, just like cockroaches, and they could be fun sometimes but they could also be dangerous if not treated properly, so the best advice available is still do not feed the trolls and keep this place fan friendly forever.

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1438
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by aldamasta » 01 May 2015, 17:27

I liked the performance, and I'm glad that Jimmy Fallon seems like a genuine fan! Cannot WAIT to see that Tender thing Monday, or whenever it releases! :)

User avatar
Indiana
Posts: 149
Joined: 21 Jan 2015, 11:28

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by Indiana » 01 May 2015, 17:31

Finally, the voice of reason! @themanwholefthimself
Image

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1122
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by Mark72 » 01 May 2015, 17:33

themanwholefthimself wrote:
jayums wrote:Sounded to me like they're really figuring out how to play the songs properly... The British tv performances were dodgy and that's the best performance of ong ong I've heard.

As for Brits band being faggy wankers, what's wrong with being faggy and/or wanking? I didn't realise this was some sort of weird cult with the aim of converting non believing disinterested Americans into liking Blur.

Blur will never ever ever ever be a successful band in America...Why on Earth do you want them to be? The fact is, music that has mass appeal in America is inevitably f@cking awful, and being universally popular is a sure sign of being shit.

I like blur cos I like them, I'm not interested in whether people who listen to Mumford and sons, Sam Smith and James Bay like them. In fact I rather hope they don't.
^Totally this!

I know this forum is for all us fans to express ourselves about our own experiences and share different opinions. We're not an homogeneous mass of fans who all like the same thing or been a fan for the same amount of time. There is diversity here, we should all understand and respect that. But it's true, sometimes some comments on what the band is doing, what they're playing and what not or the management not promoting the band properly, trends to be boring and annoying. I'm not saying it should stop but it should be measured.

I would like to imagine all the people here literally insulting someone here face to face, either the band itself, the management, etc,. Go tell them your opinion and see if they care, go ahead and tell Damon Ong Ong is shit on his face, or go to their manager and tell them they should play in your town. Go tell the band their choice of songs is stupid and they should play whatever you particularly like or consider is best. Go on and see if they care or see if you even dare. You go on with your trashy comments here, but whenever you see Graham online commenting here, you all go praise him. People need to understand that the band have a large group of professionals working behind them, advising, promoting, doing PR, etc., and if you don't like what they do, you're entitled to an opinion but it should end there, just as an opinion and stop taking it too serious.

You know the band is very aware of this forum and might have some sort of consideration for the forum at some level. What makes you think you're not hurting someone's feelings by saying something is shit? Or what makes you believe that you're making a fool of yourself by making such ridiculous statements?

Just think about it.

I love this forum because it's a common place for people like us who like Blur on some level and we couldn't get this passionate about Blur with anyone in the real world. I know trolls are an endless species, just like cockroaches, and they could be fun sometimes but they could also be dangerous if not treated properly, so the best advice available is still do not feed the trolls and keep this place fan friendly forever.
Wow, this is brilliant!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by MrMagpie » 01 May 2015, 17:34

Danilo wrote:Blur does not need America .
America needs Blur , so they should play whatever they want .

La la la la la la la la la la la la ....
:twisted:
This is true. I think beyond it, Blur don't *care* whether they do well or not in America. I think this promo is going through the motions, not in the sense that they aren't putting in the effort (because they certainly are) but because they HAVE to, it being such a huge market and all. My guess is that if they didn't have (or weren't expected) to do any promo here, they wouldn't.
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by MrMagpie » 01 May 2015, 17:39

jayums wrote: As for Brits band being faggy wankers, what's wrong with being faggy and/or wanking? I didn't realise this was some sort of weird cult with the aim of converting non believing disinterested Americans into liking Blur.

Blur will never ever ever ever be a successful band in America...Why on Earth do you want them to be? The fact is, music that has mass appeal in America is inevitably f@cking awful, and being universally popular is a sure sign of being shit.

I like blur cos I like them, I'm not interested in whether people who listen to Mumford and sons, Sam Smith and James Bay like them. In fact I rather hope they don't.
I'll respond one at a time:

1) *I* don't care how the band are perceived here...75% of everything I listen to, from the 60s to today, are British bands so clearly they have a sound and feel I love. And I agree mainstream music here in the USA blows. I *want* the band to be successful here...my point was they were playing right into the (incorrect) perception that English rock bands are wimpy by playing "Ong Ong."

2) Why wouldn't I want them to be successful here? That would mean more $ for them, more of an incentive to play gigs here, more of an incentive to make more music...all good things. And I didn't realize bands like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead (to name but a few) were shitting bands because they're universally popular here in America. My bad.

3) I also like Blur because *I* like them. What's your point? I don't care what other people listen. If you actually read what I've been posting, ALL I said was that if the goal was to try and do better here with this album, IN MY OPINION they picked the wrong song to do it with. That's all.
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

ciregno16
Posts: 41
Joined: 21 Apr 2015, 14:43

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by ciregno16 » 01 May 2015, 17:41

Guys, Ong Ong was the perfect song to play for Fallon. Considering NY is getting a lot warmer now, sunnier, and the track is a feel good summer jam, it was totally fitting to play it.

We Americans, have grown to appreciate Blur throughout the years. Was awesome to see them on late night here. :)

Sarah
Posts: 60
Joined: 17 Apr 2015, 01:20

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by Sarah » 01 May 2015, 17:45

FYI the video was pulled by NBC for copyright. Hope you got to see it. If you haven't I guess we can work something for a download.

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1438
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by aldamasta » 01 May 2015, 17:46

ciregno16 wrote:Guys, Ong Ong was the perfect song to play for Fallon. Considering NY is getting a lot warmer now, sunnier, and the track is a feel good summer jam, it was totally fitting to play it.

We Americans, have grown to appreciate Blur throughout the years. Was awesome to see them on late night here. :)
Agreed! Nice just to have them here :D

Post Reply