Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon, 30 Apr 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

themanwholefthimself

Re: Blur on US TV: The Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon 30th Apr

Post by themanwholefthimself » 25 Apr 2015, 04:53

It's quite difficult for me to believe they're going to America for one day to do one tv show only. If they're actually going, the least they could do is 3 nation wide tv shows with large crowds, another 3 or 5 radio shows and a couple of in-stores.
They're starting rehearsings next month, so they have no time to lose but also may not feel comfortable to do a big gig or two before the main gig at Hyde Park.
Of all US shows, i'd rather see them with Jimmy Fallon, he's got the best format and audience. He does these performances with his musical guests playing the biggest hit with kindergarden instruments along with The Roots. They could easily play Parklife or Ong Ong! I can't believe that's this coming Thursday!!!
I'll be nice and think the management team are working this promotion strategically and all this is cleverly planned following a logical reason, but neglecting all social networks, leaving all to speculation and last minute surprises, doesn't make any sense at all nowadays. If it wasn't for the advertising each show has been doing for the band appearences, nobody would know Blur is on the show until we're actually watching or listening. This secretive promotion strategy better be good ffs

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Apr 2015, 05:03

elasticaman wrote:will be playing lonesome street surely!

imagine theyll be either doing some itunes session or some radio shows (live or pre-recording) world cafe/morning becomes eclectic
surprissed theyre not going on Late Late Show with James Corden... makes sense to do that one, but thats all the way in LA, so seems unlikely until they do a full tour...

I agree about "Morning Becomes Eclectic"...If my memory isn't failing me, Blur appeared on there back in 1997 minus Dave who was "under-the-weather".....Perhaps they'll also perform at Amoeba Records or some other record store (perhaps a secret last minute gig)......

JackS

Post by JackS » 25 Apr 2015, 07:19

tom_cas1 wrote:Ghost Ship/Slow Country. Very interesting. I can see it actually...
Kinda makes sense considering Damon resurrected Slow Country from nowhere for the solo tour, he'd have had that song very firmly in his mind around the time the lyrics and arrangement of these Blur songs was going on.

tender

Post by tender » 25 Apr 2015, 07:56

imagine theyll be either doing some itunes session or some radio shows (live or pre-recording) world cafe/morning becomes eclectic
surprissed theyre not going on Late Late Show with James Corden... makes sense to do that one, but thats all the way in LA, so seems unlikely until they do a full tour...
I think this is the way it will go, just like ER promotion . It would a waste if they didn't play a small set at least in Rough Trade NY.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Apr 2015, 08:04

tender wrote:

I think this is the way it will go, just like ER promotion . It would a waste if they didn't play a small set at least in Rough Trade NY.
Yes, I agree that seems likely. Maybe some other TV shows. Some other media, radio etc, in-stores. Stuff like that.

In terms of Fallon, don't know anything about it, but it's the big one is it? My gut reaction is Lonesome Street but then that's me coming at it from a British perspective thinking what would appeak to a mainstream UK audience. Maybe US audiences would be turned on by something else, something a bit harder - I Broadcast as was mentioned?

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 25 Apr 2015, 08:05

Does this kind of thing get put up on YouTube?
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Apr 2015, 08:06

Hopefully there will be a stream. Don't know what sort of time of day it'll be in the UK though. Very late.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 25 Apr 2015, 08:15

Leahscarlet2 wrote:Does this kind of thing get put up on YouTube?
I'm not sure. Beck's performance is on YouTube, but it's on his official VEVO as opposed to The Tonight Show's channel. With Blur's social media team, I doubt that's going to happen.

tender

Post by tender » 25 Apr 2015, 08:18

Leahscarlet2 wrote:Does this kind of thing get put up on YouTube?
I think it will be on the Jimmy Fallon site and as far as i know it can be watched everywhere but not 100% sure

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 25 Apr 2015, 08:27

elasticaman wrote:
surprissed theyre not going on Late Late Show with James Corden...
Instead of being introduced by Josh Widdecombe they could use Adele.

☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

Sean

Post by Sean » 25 Apr 2015, 08:51

I really really hope they don't do Ong Ong, I Broadcast or Lonesome St this time. Surely Spaceman, Pyongyang or Mirrorball would be best for this audience.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 25 Apr 2015, 09:07

Pyongyang would be a sure victor!

Sean

Post by Sean » 25 Apr 2015, 09:12

Problem with most of the best stuff on the record is they all clock in at around 5 mins - are band performances on US chat shows usually time constrained?
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

ildi

Post by ildi » 25 Apr 2015, 10:51

jimmy fallon <3

daii

Post by daii » 25 Apr 2015, 12:25

last year when damon was there he played "lonely press play", wich was broadcasted, and "this is a low", that was only for the web. So maybe we'll get lonesome street + song 2

I would choose I broadcast and Pyongyang.