INTERVIEW: Dave Rowntree (Parts 1 & 2)

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

My Name Is Mud

Re: INTERVIEW: Dave Rowntree (Part 2)

Post by My Name Is Mud » 07 May 2015, 15:20

stephen wrote:I think they are some of the most honest answers I've heard from a politician :lol:
This! :lol:

101reykjavik

Re: INTERVIEW: Dave Rowntree (Part 2)

Post by 101reykjavik » 07 May 2015, 18:27

My Name Is Mud wrote:
stephen wrote:I think they are some of the most honest answers I've heard from a politician :lol:
This! :lol:
We won't get many tonight with the election in the UK, that's for sure...

tom_cas1

Re: INTERVIEW: Dave Rowntree (Parts 1 & 2)

Post by tom_cas1 » 09 May 2015, 02:10

I'm glad people got a kick out of the two interviews. :)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Mar 2017, 16:48

Just thought I'd give this thread and my interview a bump as I know many new people have joined the forum since I interviewed Dave. I asked him a lot of questions us fans have always wanted answers to including the Bill Laswell sessions and the 2005 EP.

FULL INTERVIEW: https://tomcaswell.net/2015/10/06/full- ... -rowntree/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 11 Mar 2017, 21:57

Great to read again thanks, but pisses me off a little he plays down the 2005 EP gig so much, me and my wife had tickets booked for this gig and I had the time booked off work to visit London, so it was a little more than talk, interviews in the Blurb at the time confirmed a lot more too.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 12 Mar 2017, 16:26

northernmonkey wrote:Great to read again thanks, but pisses me off a little he plays down the 2005 EP gig so much, me and my wife had tickets booked for this gig and I had the time booked off work to visit London, so it was a little more than talk, interviews in the Blurb at the time confirmed a lot more too.
Excatly what I said, Dave doing his best Labour politician act here i'm afraid, there is much more to the 2005 punk EP than we will ever know about, a gig was booked, new songs were ready, the gig was only cancelled the night before, imo Damon had another fall out with Alex/Dave and was only finally happy with Blur when Graham finally came back.

A shame as a punk EP was my Blur dream as Popscene/Song/Chinese Bombs is my fave Blur style...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 12 Mar 2017, 21:08

A punk EP would have worked as a three piece, I will dig out the Blurb for a read as there was a pretty big interview with all 3 members. I still have the apology letter slip thing saying they wanted to concentrate on developing the EP further and that was why the gig was cancelled. As far as I remember it was a one off gig and I remember researching the location of the club/venue it was at. I was gutted when hearing about the cancellation and remember calling the ticket company for my refund praying they were going to tell me it would still go ahead. There must be recording from that time, I can't imagine it getting to the point of taking money off fans for tickets if they had nothing recorded. Can't remember if Martin from BFC shed any more light on this on the old forum.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 13 Mar 2017, 00:13

Damon has long been a scatterbrain, loves moving on and changing. If it weren't for other people how much of his music would we actually hear? He needs someone telling him what to do and something to convince him to hunker down and get work published. I reckon he'd be fairly happy just doing stuff in his studio 9-5 and wouldn't care if none if it was properly released. Geezer doesn't need the money. Dave was pretty much secretive about the whole thing and in the end, not to hang shit on this interview, but he came across very beige and indifferent. He was trotting out the company line where possible and we really got no insight at all.

I would say there's a lot of stories that could come out of Blur and the 2000s would have been an interesting time to see. I really hope Damon one day releases an odds and ends demo album, ala Rivers Cuomo's Alone series. Having a release for each era would be really interesting. Publishing it with a book or something would be well worth it.

However, his management is stupid, dude has no real impetus nor incentive to get these things going (especially as for this to be good, he'd have to do the archive work himself. Who can be bothered sifting through what's perceived as pointless off-cuts that span probably nearly 30 years?). Ah well.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Mar 2017, 13:08

^ True enough. After all, it was Graham who put the leg work into the 21 box set? He was the one with the tapes etc. Damon is focussed on the future, is he not? I could be wrong, but I'm not sure rifling through archives holds any interest for him.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Mar 2017, 13:42

What if the punk record was indeed release and we didn't know? I am being sarcastic, but didn't Damon claim they will release an EP or album and wouldn't identify themselves? :lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Mar 2017, 21:06

Now there's a thought. :lol:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Mar 2017, 23:40

101reykjavik wrote:Now there's a thought. :lol:

But is my memory serving me correctly? Damon claimed that they would put it out in all black without revealing who it was? Lord, I cannot believe it's already been 12 years since!

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 13 Mar 2017, 23:54

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:What if the punk record was indeed release and we didn't know? I am being sarcastic, but didn't Damon claim they will release an EP or album and wouldn't identify themselves? :lol:
Considering how much time have passed, if it ever was released somebody what have noticed that it sounds like blur... unless they have distorted all the instruments and voices :lol: I wish that was the case, though - as much as Think Tank is not a "blur" record with the absence of Graham, it had great sound and that EP might have expanded it in some way. But hey, at least Damon got preoccupied with the other two projects - Demon Days and TGTBATQ instead and they turned out to be masterpieces, so "a lost blur EP" is a decent price to pay to get those :)
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

2020sound

Post by 2020sound » 14 Mar 2017, 16:07

northernmonkey wrote:A punk EP would have worked as a three piece, I will dig out the Blurb for a read as there was a pretty big interview with all 3 members. I still have the apology letter slip thing saying they wanted to concentrate on developing the EP further and that was why the gig was cancelled. As far as I remember it was a one off gig and I remember researching the location of the club/venue it was at.
it was strongly hinted that there would be a special guest at that gig, ie graham. me thinks they were trying to coax graham back and he backed out. lots of unexplained shit went down during that period.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 15 Mar 2017, 06:43

2020sound wrote:
northernmonkey wrote:A punk EP would have worked as a three piece, I will dig out the Blurb for a read as there was a pretty big interview with all 3 members. I still have the apology letter slip thing saying they wanted to concentrate on developing the EP further and that was why the gig was cancelled. As far as I remember it was a one off gig and I remember researching the location of the club/venue it was at.
it was strongly hinted that there would be a special guest at that gig, ie graham. me thinks they were trying to coax graham back and he backed out. lots of unexplained shit went down during that period.
Interesting.

This is the start of the internet era but even up until about 2007 or '08 you could more often than not see physical places to buy tickets on gig posters. Basically, you didn't just put up a Facebook post and send out a press release and then say 'tickets on sale from blur.com at 10am GMT Friday.' How was this advertised? How was it sold? All entirely via the fan club and that was done through an email? Were there further correspondence between the band and the media or fans about this show? Or simply did it go from announcement, to that Damon interview, to the cancellation notice?

I agree with you too. I get the feeling there's been a lot of interesting shit go down in Blur town over the years. Interesting may be the insensitive word to use...