INTERVIEW: Dave Rowntree (Parts 1 & 2)

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

INTERVIEW: Dave Rowntree (Part 2)

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Apr 2015, 14:59

Ok, here we go, Part 2 of my interview with Dave. In this part we discussed his introduction to the drums, The Magic Whip, Glastonbury and a few more tasty things! Enjoy. :)

https://tomcaswell.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ee-part-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Re: INTERVIEW: Dave Rowntree (Part 2)

Post by TripleJay97 » 29 Apr 2015, 15:05

Excellent read. I'm glad Dave's just like us, in that he finds it difficult to pick a favourite tune from the album :P

JackS

Post by JackS » 29 Apr 2015, 15:06

Some great questions! I guess we should assume that setlist that surfaced a while back won't resemble the Hyde Park setlist in the slightest then ;)

Also interesting that other songs from Think Tank is only "unlikely" as opposed to "never, ever".

themanwholefthimself

Post by themanwholefthimself » 29 Apr 2015, 15:09

tom_cas1 wrote:Ok, here we go, Part 2 of my interview with Dave. In this part we discussed his introduction to the drums, The Magic Whip, Glastonbury and a few more tasty things! Enjoy. :)

https://tomcaswell.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ee-part-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Part 2 is finally here! Thank you very much, Tom! Reading now...

Sean

Post by Sean » 29 Apr 2015, 15:10

Nice one Tom, good read.

Good old Dave.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

themanwholefthimself

Post by themanwholefthimself » 29 Apr 2015, 15:19

Blur have a long history of fantastic b-sides going all the way back to Leisure but The Magic Whip appears to be the first album where there won't be any at all. Were there any other songs recorded in Hong Kong (or that Graham/Stephen worked on last year) that didn't make the album that could see a release at some point?

Unlikely I think. It’s astonishing that we managed to get enough done in a week to fill an album really.

Damon said:
"We recorded 15 songs" (February 26, 2014)
So... as Rubi said: Gimme! :D

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 29 Apr 2015, 15:48

Very good questions Tom!
Dave wrote:Normally we decide what we’re going to play at a show when we’re rehearsing for the show.
:shock:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Apr 2015, 17:58

Thanks guys! One of his answers made me think a bit:
It would be great if we were organised enough to plan what songs we are going to play later in the year. I can’t say that’s ever happened though. Normally we decide what we’re going to play at a show when we’re rehearsing for the show.
To me, this is the first indication that Blur will play shows for the whole of this year.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 Apr 2015, 17:59

Cheers Tom - you're a star for arranging these interviews. Off to have a read...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Apr 2015, 18:02

:mrgreen:

Dave confirmed again that Blur WON'T be headlining Glastonbury.

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 29 Apr 2015, 18:13

I'm glad they're not playing glastonbury and I don't know why
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Apr 2015, 18:24

I agree, I don't think they have anything to prove by playing there again so soon after the last time. When their next album comes out though... ;)

tender

Post by tender » 29 Apr 2015, 18:54

themanwholefthimself wrote:
Blur have a long history of fantastic b-sides going all the way back to Leisure but The Magic Whip appears to be the first album where there won't be any at all. Were there any other songs recorded in Hong Kong (or that Graham/Stephen worked on last year) that didn't make the album that could see a release at some point?

Unlikely I think. It’s astonishing that we managed to get enough done in a week to fill an album really.

Damon said:
"We recorded 15 songs" (February 26, 2014)
So... as Rubi said: Gimme! :D
Not sure if this has been posted already but ......

"Blur bassist Alex James has revealed that the band are sitting on enough material to release another new album, having only used half of the tracks they wrote for 'The Magic Whip'"

http://www.nme.com/news/blur/85017#qLl8A7WyQ71Ht2xW.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Apr 2015, 18:59

I tend to see that as a bullshit article from NME with a misleading headline to boot. The band didn't have 26/27 ideas in Hong Kong, Damon had 26/27 song ideas BEFORE the sessions. And we know that the band jammed songs that Damon didn't have beforehand and then I Broadcast was made last year in the studio. Just a way to grab peoples attention.

tender

Post by tender » 29 Apr 2015, 19:06

tom_cas1 wrote:I tend to see that as a bullshit article from NME with a misleading headline to boot. The band didn't have 26/27 ideas in Hong Kong, Damon had 26/27 song ideas BEFORE the sessions. And we know that the band jammed songs that Damon didn't have beforehand and then I Broadcast was made last year in the studio. Just a way to grab peoples attention.
It´s suppose to be a quote from Alex but I´m sure that the best bits from that session were picked by Graham and Streety