Honest question

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Honest question

Post by AdvertBreak » 17 Apr 2015, 01:23

How much of the rarities discs in Blur 21 do you remember? For me I find a lot of it memorable but most people here don't mention any of it, as such I also forget they even exist. For example in The Worst Of thread, surely some of you would include a thing or two from them, and hey I should have included 'One Minute' in addition to the many One Born Every Minutes but yeah I forgot it exists.

Some great stuff on there!

tom_cas1

Re: Honest question

Post by tom_cas1 » 17 Apr 2015, 02:37

The Worst Of was limited to album tracks to be fair but my favourite rarities disc was Blur, 13, Best Of & Think Tank Era mainly because the tracks are from my favourite Blur period, 13 anyway. However I do think a lot more could have been included, we were pretty much given one disc for three albums worth of rarities which is ridiculous. There must be a load more Blur/13/Think Tank stuff in the vaults. Ambulance demo being one I'd love to hear.

But as much as I like the rarities they don't come close to the actual albums. They're nice to have and I listen to them but it's all about the albums for me. And b-sides.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 17 Apr 2015, 02:53

Ah OK thanks for clearing that up about The Worst Of. I agree that aren't as superior to the albums and B-sides, I mean, I suppose much of it went unreleased for a reason (and most of it is demos and early versions), but it seems there was inevitably conversations about them at the time but seldom mentioned since. I agree on both points about disc 4, being the best and the most annoyingly crammed. If I was in charge I'd remove the Seymour stuff from the first disc and combine them on a separate set within the box set with the rest of the Seymour stuff, including Superman and then the stuff not on the boxset. This way there'd be more room for later stuff.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 17 Apr 2015, 04:30

AdvertBreak wrote:How much of the rarities discs in Blur 21 do you remember? For me I find a lot of it memorable but most people here don't mention any of it, as such I also forget they even exist.
I clearly remember and love the rarities from 1995: Cross Channel Love, Hope you find your suburb and Saturday Morning (in fact I listen to Saturday Morning every Saturday morning :mrgreen: ).

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 17 Apr 2015, 04:33

they clearly should have made each album a tripple disc

album, complete bside (too many missing really) and rarites from that era

its disapointing having 97-2003 all crammed on 1 disc

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 17 Apr 2015, 04:34

JAIME wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:How much of the rarities discs in Blur 21 do you remember? For me I find a lot of it memorable but most people here don't mention any of it, as such I also forget they even exist.
I clearly remember and love the rarities from 1995: Cross Channel Love, Hope you find your suburb and Saturday Morning (in fact I listen to Saturday Morning every Saturday morning :mrgreen: ).
funnily enough they were some of my favourite tracks on there, despite TGE being my least fave album

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 17 Apr 2015, 04:39

elasticaman wrote:its disapointing having 97-2003 all crammed on 1 disc
Agreed.
elasticaman wrote:
JAIME wrote:
funnily enough they were some of my favourite tracks on there, despite TGE being my least fave album
Same here! (but TGE is my 2nd least favourite album).

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 17 Apr 2015, 05:08

sadly alot of the demos from discs 1-2 and 3 (parklife era) are very close to the finished structure and lyrics, so its just like listening to the album being played down the phone. the parklife demos were circulated a few years earlier, so i havent felt any need to replay those

as for the unreleased tracks - pap pop - meh,beached whale - elastica did it better, and most of the stuff on disc 4 is really throwaway

best bits are the partridge recordings especially, and the TGE demos... as they all sound very different to their completed version Cross Channel Love/The Universal being the real interesting moment, along with hope you find your suburb... how saturay morning was never released i do not know

of course there are a few other demos that are interesting but theyre few and far between (beetlebum & for tomorrow)

fool demo vocal delivery still makes me laugh, shes so high rehersal is still unlistenable, and high cool 7" verison makes me wish it had been a single more than i already did

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 Apr 2015, 06:16

elasticaman wrote:
JAIME wrote:
Yes, I really like those too. Was listening to them only the other week.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 17 Apr 2015, 06:19

How come all the good TGE tracks were left off the album? :lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 Apr 2015, 06:30

TripleJay97 wrote:How come all the good TGE tracks were left off the album? :lol:
Ha ha. Well, Cross Channel Love morphed into The Universal so not all were left off of course. I always have 'it really, really, really could happen...' go around my head when the chorus comes in. :)

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 17 Apr 2015, 07:29

I always thought he lack of rarities and b sides from the Blur album onwards was due to the fact that they hadn't recorded quite as much material. Still, putting the Blur, 13, Best Of and Think Tank rarities onto one disc is a bit mad. But I'm not complaining. Still a great boxset. The only major qualm I have is the Showtime DVD. The quality doesn't seem to be any sort of improvement on the VHS weirdly. Great and all as it is to have it on DVD!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 17 Apr 2015, 08:54

Cross Channel Love was morphed into The Universal? I don't hear it.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 Apr 2015, 09:13

Rubi wrote:Cross Channel Love was morphed into The Universal? I don't hear it.
Verses are nothing like The Universal. It's just the little bit before and as Damon sings 'Cross Channel Love' in each chorus, sounds like the 'really, really, really' bit in The Universal.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 17 Apr 2015, 09:20

☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷