The Good, The Bad & The Queen Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

The Good, The Bad & The Queen Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Mar 2015, 23:50

About time we had a thread for this amazing band (and album!)

I'm listening to the album from start to finish for the first time in ages and the excitement is still there for me! I recall vividly when Herculean dropped in our laps and being blown away immediately. Everything about this album is perfect from Damon's lyrics and melodies to the instrumentation and overall production. What a great album!! I really can't believe this is 8 years old now...wow, that makes me feel really old. It still sounds just as good today as it did then. Overall I'd say it's one of the best albums that Damon has done, right up there with Demon Days.

I've always been disappointed that they didn't record a second album immediately, even though I think Damon said they had a recording sessions for one. I know there were a few rumours at the start of this year about a new album, I really hope it's released at some point!

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Re: The Good, The Bad & The Queen Thread

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2015, 23:51

Much better than Everyday Robots and did enjoy the album a lot...actually felt like a Blur album that could have been...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 Mar 2015, 23:56

Funny, I was just listening to a few tracks myself just now and a couple of live performances on YouTube.

It is a pretty good album, with some really great tracks. History Song, Kingdom of Doom, Herculean, Three Changes and Green Fields are superb. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Mar 2015, 23:59

An 8/10 for me. I have a lot of great memories from when this album came out, including collecting the 7" singles and listening to the b-sides from each. What a great period!! The last Damon album to feature b-sides I believe...

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Mar 2015, 00:06

I love love love this album. A masterpiece, one of the finest things Damon has ever done. Can't wait for more GBQ! Well... actually I can wait if he has to push it back because of a huge Blur tour or more Blur music :lol: The 7"s from this album are great, some of my favorite ones in my possession. Such a cool idea to have 2 part series for Kingdom of Doom and Green Fields with half of them colored vinyl.

And besides the Everyday Robots b-side Electric Fences, these were technically Damon's last b-sides, yep.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Mar 2015, 00:14

I do love this album, I just wish the production had been handled differently. I always come back to that Pig's Nose warm up gig in '06 when I very first heard the songs. I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. They were astonishing. And I waited months and months in anticipation for the album, and whilst it is a great album with brilliant songs, they didn't capture them as they might have done, in my opinion. How I wish audio existed of that gig... :(

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 25 Mar 2015, 00:16

101reykjavik wrote:I do love this album, I just wish the production had been handled differently. I always come back to that Pig's Nose warm up gig in '06 when I very first heard the songs. I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. They were astonishing. And I waited months and months in anticipation for the album, and whilst it is a great album with brilliant songs, they didn't capture them as they might have done, in my opinion. How I wish audio existed of that gig... :(
I agree. I'm not so fond of the production either.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 Mar 2015, 00:33

I didn't dislike the production at the time but I see what you mean. The album was a different animal live. That said, I think the production sounds better now than it did back then. I just finished listening to it from start to finish and it sounded great!

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 25 Mar 2015, 05:45

Great album, but I definitely think the production stopped it from being the best it could be. The songs all sounded 100 times better live, except Hurculean, which was one of the few successes production wise.

The production sucked a lot of the emotion out of the album and made the album kind of sterile, the overall strength of the songs though, meant I still really enjoy it.

munch

Post by munch » 25 Mar 2015, 06:40

tom_cas1 wrote:About time we had a thread for this amazing band (and album!)

I'm listening to the album from start to finish for the first time in ages and the excitement is still there for me! I recall vividly when Herculean dropped in our laps and being blown away immediately. Everything about this album is perfect from Damon's lyrics and melodies to the instrumentation and overall production. What a great album!! I really can't believe this is 8 years old now...wow, that makes me feel really old. It still sounds just as good today as it did then. Overall I'd say it's one of the best albums that Damon has done, right up there with Demon Days.

I've always been disappointed that they didn't record a second album immediately, even though I think Damon said they had a recording sessions for one. I know there were a few rumours at the start of this year about a new album, I really hope it's released at some point!

Loved the album. But I do think it had a bit rubbish production. The live tracks sounded much better

I remember being so excited when they appeared on TV for the first. The BBC went crazy for it! They really should do more. But some of the tracks went to Plastic Beach I believe.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 25 Mar 2015, 08:13

Embarrassing confession: I've never heard this album. Apart from The Good, The Bad & The Queen itself, which is outstanding. I might get it this evening and give it a spin though! :oops:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Mar 2015, 09:49

My Name Is Mud wrote:Embarrassing confession: I've never heard this album. Apart from The Good, The Bad & The Queen itself, which is outstanding. I might get it this evening and give it a spin though! :oops:

Seriously - do that. It's a collection of really beautiful songs. Things like Northern Whale and The Bunting Song are such pretty melodies. I just dig the whole concept of this album and that it sits in the tradition of Damon's other great English / London themed work. Makes me feel all wistful for old Albion.

Anyway, on to more important sartorial matters - who else thought Damon looked well cool in his top hat? :D

JackS

Post by JackS » 25 Mar 2015, 10:11

I absolutely love this album. Saw it live many times back in the day, but the gig at the Coronet in 2011 (?) was amazing as I hadn't listened to the album for a good two years at that point. Stood there throughout the gig with a smile on my face from beginning to end.

CrossWires

Post by CrossWires » 25 Mar 2015, 11:11

One of my favourite things Damon has ever done. Tops all the Gorillaz records for me (yes even Demon Days) my girlfriend just bought me a promo copy on vinyl for my birthday. It's in a black sleeve.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 25 Mar 2015, 12:24

All I know is A Soldier's Tale moves me like no Gorillaz (or any of the other Damon's projects) track has ever done. It could've easily been part of Think Tank <3