Secret London gig, 20 March 2015 (stream on March 25)

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Foggy

Re: Secret London gig, March 20

Post by Foggy » 21 Mar 2015, 12:30

You couldn't have been far from me, Rich. I found a vantage point up in the wings too. Great vid, thanks for that.

To be honest I took in too much to process. I know I really like the one where Graham was doing some nifty finger picking on his SG whilst Damon strummed his acoustic, but I can't remember which song it was. The whole set washed over me, and I didn't really get much of a handle on individual songs.

To generalise, it's a great album. More about musicianship and credibility than easy safe poppy success. They deserve to feel proud of it.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Mar 2015, 13:07

bugman wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:My write up will be up later tonight, I haven't had the chance to sit down and do it yet. I've been listening to my recording over and over though and these new songs are simply exquisite. Graham's guitar in particular was amazing last night.
Tom, give us something,please :-)
Well Lonesome Street is a FANTASTIC album opener and it really set tone for the rest of the album. The opening track was the one track I was really keen to hear because of how GREAT Blur's opening tracks have been on previous albums. She's So High, For Tomorrow, Girls & Boys, Stereotypes, Beetlebum, Tender, Ambulance. Lonesome Street is right up there with them!!

As far as the album goes (in a live setting at least) it could be one of the best Blur albums. Certainly top 3 in my opinion. It's very much a mixture of Blur and 13 with a few little tastes of Think Tank on a few songs, and some MLIR as well. I'm still getting goosebumps right now, the songs were amazing. For those doubtful whether Blur could "come back" to their past form, you don't need to worry one bit!! BLUR ARE BACK!!
JackS wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:My write up will be up later tonight, I haven't had the chance to sit down and do it yet. I've been listening to my recording over and over though and these new songs are simply exquisite. Graham's guitar in particular was amazing last night.
Obviously really keen to hear the recording! :) if you have the chance to upload today
I will try later on! I'll be writing an article on my website so I will embed the audio in it.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 21 Mar 2015, 13:11

Now, after reading all your comments I really can't wait for the new album! :P

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 21 Mar 2015, 13:11

Damn Tom, you're setting very high standards there. If I'm disappointed by the album I know who to blame. ;)

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 21 Mar 2015, 13:17

I have to say Tom, it's really nice seeing you as happy as you are about the new album and everything. I remember you being one of the people really disappointed with the lack of new material. Also, I'm trying to take your opinion on the new album with a pinch of salt, but I really can't wait to hear this album now!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 21 Mar 2015, 13:20

How did There Are Too Many of Us sound live? Some people thought it would be an improvement on the studio version.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 21 Mar 2015, 13:20

What about the closing track, Mirrorball? What kind of song is it?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Mar 2015, 13:47

Jensen wrote:What about the closing track, Mirrorball? What kind of song is it?
NME called the album closer 'heavy' and 'weighty'. I'm imagining a Battery In Your Leg type song. :?: Hopefully Tom can fill us in.

ballad_man

Post by ballad_man » 21 Mar 2015, 14:03

I have to agree with Tom, the album seems like a mix of Blur / 13. In my eyes, the best two Blur albums.

Highlights: I Broadcast (classic thrasy blur), Lonesome Street (Brilliant album opener, tinges of MLIR / Fools Day), There are too many of us (recorded version does not do it justice, really strong and emotive live), Thought I was a spaceman (started with the processed drum beat, but when the drums kick in half way through, great guitar from Graham to finish, poppier version of Battle).

Message centre was a lively finish to what was a slow atmosphere (to be expected, I suppose). The band were very quiet until the message centre.

Alex looked either nervous, concentrating or a bit miserable (no real sly smiles or winks as usual). Graham was very subdued, but may have been concentrating on playing the new stuff. Damon was well up for it. Dave is Dave.

The memories of the night will stay with me forever and I was exceptionally lukcy to be there.

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 21 Mar 2015, 14:11

http://instagram.com/p/0eKlbWx23g/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What song is this? I really like it from the two snippets I've heard. I'm assuming it's either Pyongyong or Mirrorball.

Ice Cream Man sounds wicked!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Mar 2015, 14:13

^ At ballad man. New tracks, audience doesn't know them, the boys curious / nervous how they might be received? I can see all that playing a part in the atmosphere.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 21 Mar 2015, 14:37

UnderThePuritan wrote:http://instagram.com/p/0eKlbWx23g/

What song is this? I really like it from the two snippets I've heard. I'm assuming it's either Pyongyong or Mirrorball.
The guitar on that is fucking incredible. I need that in my life ASAP

rich

Post by rich » 21 Mar 2015, 14:42

Salmon wrote:
rich wrote:HERE IT IS..............
the encore - Trouble in the Message Centre :shock:
https://vimeo.com/122806489
rich 8-)
Thanks Rich, awesome video and pictures. Stephen Street just tweeted your TITMC vid!
wow :shock: :) thanks for the link Salmon...

couple more pics from last night - the wristband...

and the ice cream van (crappy blackberry photo this one...)

rich 8-)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 21 Mar 2015, 14:44

Very awesome rich! And that's so cool that Damon bought an ice cream van :lol:

That should be their tour bus! And on album release day Damon should drive it to some record stores and give out ice cream. How cool would that be? :mrgreen:

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 21 Mar 2015, 14:47

aldamasta wrote:Very awesome rich! And that's so cool that Damon bought an ice cream van :lol:

That should be their tour bus! And on album release day Damon should drive it to some record stores and give out ice cream. How cool would that be? :mrgreen:

Cool idea, but I'd rather Damon not drive. He'd be much better suited behind the wheel of a bike I think :D