Magic Whip, achievements

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JackS

Re: Magic Whip, achievements

Post by JackS » 11 Mar 2015, 14:34

Also want to leap in to the defence of Everyday Robots - loved it, and the tracks were superb live. In the context of recent Damon releases, I definitely prefer it to, say, Plastic Beach. Up there with GBQ for me.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 11 Mar 2015, 15:46

JackS wrote:I definitely prefer it to, say, Plastic Beach.
I think most people would think that

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 11 Mar 2015, 15:51

Plastic Beach doesn't get enough love. :cry:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Mar 2015, 15:56

I'm not a massive fan of Plastic Beach as a whole (the weakest Gorillaz album not including The Fall) but it's head and shoulders above Everyday Robots, at least to me. Songs like Some Kind Of Nature, On Melancholy Hill and To Binge are awesome.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 11 Mar 2015, 16:07

Plastic Beach is my favorite Gorillaz album. Love everything about it. My only gripe with it is that there are a tad too many rap songs, especially in the beginning of the album. Having four of the first six tracks with rap just doesn't sit right with me. White Flag should have been scrapped altogether, or replaced with something else. Not saying the quality of the rap songs is bad, it's just my personal preference.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 11 Mar 2015, 16:17

Pasta wrote:
JackS wrote:I definitely prefer it to, say, Plastic Beach.
I think most people would think that
Speak for yourself! :P
Rubi wrote:Plastic Beach doesn't get enough love. :cry:
I love it, believe me. It'd be a toss between Plastic Beach and Demon Days for best Gorillaz album for me.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 11 Mar 2015, 17:13

I give Plastic Beach a lot of love! It's a close 2nd favorite Gorillaz album for me, with the S/T being my favorite. Of course I love Demon Days, I think it's one of the best albums of all time! But they're all so great, so coming in third isn't bad at all.

I too think Everyday Robots is up there with GBQ and Plastic Beach.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 11 Mar 2015, 17:26

aldamasta wrote:I give Plastic Beach a lot of love! It's a close 2nd favorite Gorillaz album for me, with the S/T being my favorite. Of course I love Demon Days, I think it's one of the best albums of all time! But they're all so great, so coming in third isn't bad at all.
Yep, they're all great. That's why I love Gorillaz. They've only made three albums (I don't really count The Fall) but they're all top, top quality.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 11 Mar 2015, 17:48

Rubi wrote:
aldamasta wrote:I give Plastic Beach a lot of love! It's a close 2nd favorite Gorillaz album for me, with the S/T being my favorite. Of course I love Demon Days, I think it's one of the best albums of all time! But they're all so great, so coming in third isn't bad at all.
Yep, they're all great. That's why I love Gorillaz. They've only made three albums (I don't really count The Fall) but they're all top, top quality.
Yes they are! The Fall is sort of a second Democrazy for Damon. A bit more refined, but in the same sort of tradition. Both filmed while on tour in the US as well. I always hear people talking about how much they hate the Fall, but if they listen to it for what it is (some songs Damon made on an iPad while touring, nothing more than an experiment and gift to the fans. DEFINITELY not a full-fledged Gorillaz album!) then they will be able to find a new appreciation for it instead of so blindly hating it. Though that's just my thoughts on it, everyone is entitled to their opinion! :)

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 11 Mar 2015, 17:59

If you take it for what it is, the The Fall is not that bad. It has a few pretty good tracks. Amarillo could possibly make it in my Top 10 Gorillaz songs. Love it to bits. Then the first three tracks, Little Pink Plastic Bags and Bobby in Phoenix are pretty good. The rest is just Damon messing around, but it's passable.

rich

Post by rich » 11 Mar 2015, 19:45

Love for ER here too (but not the title track - worst song on the album...). History of Cheating Heart is my favourite - very moving...

And I've always rather liked The Fall too - Revolving Doors is a good Damon song...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 12 Mar 2015, 01:58

Revolving Doors is one of his finest IMO. Makes me crave a listen right now. And I agree completely about History of a Cheating Heart. I was listening through ER again yesterday (after reading this thread haha), and when History of a Cheating Heart came on, I was nearly moved to tears... despite hearing it plenty of times before! Damon's voice sounds especially amazing in that song.