What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Re: What do you want Blur to play on the Magic Whip tour?

Post by Rubi » 20 Mar 2015, 11:29

Jensen wrote:Why so little love for Leisure? I wish they played any of the singles: She's so high, Bang, There's no other way... I know asking for anything else would be foolish, but Come Together, Wear me Down, Inertia, I know or Day upon Day would be lovely too :P
They'll probably play Sing, and one between She's So High and There's No Other Way. Tracks like I Know, Bang and Wear Me Down don't get any love despite being terrific tunes.

JackS

Post by JackS » 20 Mar 2015, 11:36

Rubi wrote:
Jensen wrote:Why so little love for Leisure? I wish they played any of the singles: She's so high, Bang, There's no other way... I know asking for anything else would be foolish, but Come Together, Wear me Down, Inertia, I know or Day upon Day would be lovely too :P
They'll probably play Sing, and one between She's So High and There's No Other Way. Tracks like I Know, Bang and Wear Me Down don't get any love despite being terrific tunes.
Wear Me Down is definitely in my top 20. There really are some under-rated tracks on that album. Repetition, Bad Day as well.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 20 Mar 2015, 11:42

JackS wrote:
Rubi wrote:
Wear Me Down is definitely in my top 20. There really are some under-rated tracks on that album. Repetition, Bad Day as well.
High Cool, too! I love that track. Leisure is not a bad album, far from it. It's just that, when compared to the rest of their catalogue, it's nowhere near as good. The only songs I consider filler are Slow Down, Fool and Birthday, which could have easily been replaced with Explain, I Know and Inertia and made for a much better record.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 20 Mar 2015, 11:57

I think I've heard somewhere that Damon is not particularly fond of Leisure, and that's probably why it is widely ignored with the exception of Sing (which is the least leisure-ish of the tracks, btw). It's a shame :(

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Mar 2015, 11:59

Damon wrote:I've made two bad records: Leisure, which was awful, and The Great Escape, which was messy.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 20 Mar 2015, 12:06

TripleJay97 wrote:
Damon wrote:I've made two bad records: Leisure, which was awful, and The Great Escape, which was messy.
This is one of those times I completely disagree with Mr. Albarn :mrgreen:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 20 Mar 2015, 12:22

Jensen wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:
This is one of those times I completely disagree with Mr. Albarn :mrgreen:
He's also prone to changing his opinion at the drop of a hat, so any given quote means very little!

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 20 Mar 2015, 13:15

Rubi wrote: High Cool, too! I love that track. Leisure is not a bad album, far from it. It's just that, when compared to the rest of their catalogue, it's nowhere near as good. The only songs I consider filler are Slow Down, Fool and Birthday, which could have easily been replaced with Explain, I Know and Inertia and made for a much better record.
Slow Down filler? It's a belter! The mid-section is the closest Blur got to replicating the madness of Seymour on Leisure, I really do think they would have preferred to have replicated more of that punkish energy on some of the other tracks. Birthday is a beautiful tune, I just think the production let it down a tad.

I wasn't initially a fan of High Cool, but I loved the 7" mix on Blur 21! Who knows why they didn't have that as the version on the album.

blurvert

Post by blurvert » 20 Mar 2015, 19:29

Looks Like TITMC will be making the list.

I too am a fan of the Leisure era (B_Sides included) whereas their other albums had duds like When the Cows, Crazy Beat, Badgeman Brown, Got Yer, Mr Robinson etc

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 20 Mar 2015, 21:12

blurvert wrote:Looks Like TITMC will be making the list.

What? Did they play it at the secret gig?
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 20 Mar 2015, 21:19

Forever Low Man wrote:

Yes, encore song.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 20 Mar 2015, 21:21

101reykjavik wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:

Yes, encore song.
Anything other surprises? :)

Edit: Oh my god I actually wrote that. Leaving it here so you people of the board remember to spell check your posts. PSA over.
Last edited by Forever Low Man on 20 Mar 2015, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 20 Mar 2015, 22:31

Really glad that they played Trouble In The Message Centre, one of the best tunes off Parklife. Still hoping for Clover Over Dover tho.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Mar 2015, 23:08

Forever Low Man wrote:Anything other surprises? :)

Edit: Oh my god I actually wrote that. Leaving it here so you people of the board remember to spell check your posts. PSA over.
E#

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 20 Mar 2015, 23:12

TripleJay97 wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:Anything other surprises? :)

E#
:lol:

I remember when I kept on misspelling Jamie Hewlett's name as "Jaime" and even wrote it that way to tweedz... so embarrassing! :oops: don't know why my brain suddenly shat, guess I spend too much time here on the forum and get used to seeing JAIME :lol: