B-Sides

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Favourite era of B-Sides?

Leisure
10%
MLIR (inc. Popscene)
28%
Parklife
3%
The Great Escape
33%
Blur
21%
No votes
Think Tank
5%

Total votes: 39

stephen

Re: B-Sides

Post by stephen » 05 Dec 2018, 13:43

Looks like I'm the only one voting for Think Tank, that album had a tonne of extra material.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 05 Dec 2018, 14:56

Now that you say it, The Outsider would have been worthy of being on Think Tank. Brilliant song, reminds me of early MIA. Very eclectic.

Think Tank B sides probably on par with S/T.. I dunno why I just find TGE era a great time. Could tell they wanted to take the plunge into more free-form, experimental material but maybe felt under pressure to keep the formula that brought so much success with Parklife.

I'd go as far to say Tame is in my top 10 Blur songs.

stephen

Post by stephen » 05 Dec 2018, 16:25

Morricone
Some Glad Morning
Don't Be
Outsider
Colours
Me White Noise (Alt version)
Money Makes Me Crazy

All came out of the think tank sessions, not really songs you'd hear on the radio but good nevertheless.

I even like Tune 2 although I know I'm in the huge minority there.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 07 Dec 2018, 06:32

This thread's almost 4 years old and I didn't vote on it??? :roll:

Anyway, Leisure's the most consistent for me, the only OK ones are I'm All Over and Berserk, I love the rest. I would go for TGE if the CM b-sides were better. The other eras are a big hit and miss for me. And A Spell... tops my worst list.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 07 Dec 2018, 12:58

For some reason I just totally disregard the whole Leisure era of the band.. It just doesn't even feel like Blur save for 'Sing'. Popscene onwards is where my listening starts. I know it's an irrational prejudice to have, but I just can't commit to it!

Haven't listened to Leisure from start to finish in about 9 years :/

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 Dec 2018, 15:35

Yeah Leisure is a weird one. Doesn't sound like blur at all and lyrically pretty poor.

I'll listen to it every now and then but purely for curiosity.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 07 Dec 2018, 16:04

It's like they hadn't really discovered what kind of band they were.. I mean 'baggy' tunes on a Blur album!? They didn't have enough clout to not be told what to do by the label so it's just a bit of an identity crises album really. The lyrics other than Sing are just so empty. Even There's no other way, I mean what the hell is it about lyrically?

The entire album was put on life support by Sing and Graham's hendrix inspired riff on There's no other way.

stephen

Post by stephen » 10 Dec 2018, 11:32

It's crazy to look back on what the record label wanted them to sound like vs what they actually wanted/could do.

Something I'm sure we can relate to when it comes to work.

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 11 Dec 2018, 14:08

TracyJosh wrote: The lyrics other than Sing are just so empty. Even There's no other way, I mean what the hell is it about lyrically?
Mr Briggs actually is one of my favourite Blur lyric.

Wear Me Down, Come Together, Fool, even Bang isn't too bad. Not too far off from songs like Blue Jeans, Oily Water, Resigned on MLIR.
I think Leisure is super underrated, it always surprises me when I put it on
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Dec 2018, 19:29

I think you had to be there at the time to appreciate the 'Leisure' album, and its context in the development of Blur.

It compared favourably to much other indie music of that time, but the next two albums were better - and therefore a 'growth' in their music and stature.

I think that many people (quite logically) had 'Parklife' as their introduction to Blur. This means that they find 'Leisure' afterwards, and in so doing are disappointed.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 17 Dec 2018, 09:58

Leisure, especially the B-Sides, has some wonderful Syd Barretesque psychedelia that they didn't really develop after. Sing and Inertia are particularly great and stand up to anything Blur or Damon/Graham solo have done since.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 19 Dec 2018, 06:46

Yes, absolutely. The Barrett-esque sound was distinct and took the 'trippy indie' of the time to a deeper level.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."