The Magic Whip Tour 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tender

Re: The Magic Whip Tour

Post by tender » 15 Sep 2015, 02:56

MrMagpie wrote: But surely some slightly larger halls in key cities across the country (New York, Boston, Chicago, DC, San Fran, LA) would have made more sense? Maybe I'm just being too pragmatic about it...in actuality, it's probably the band don't give a fuck about succeeding here and figure why not just play 2 gigs, see how many people show up, and call it a day.
Everyone would like to see them in smaller venues but i'ts not they way they are touring , it's not about the band giving a fuck about succeding in the US. Besides warm ups, they are playing massive shows, which means many have to travel if they want to see them or if they are lucky to live in a city that in included in the tour it will be in a 15,000 or more sized venue , and that's it.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 15 Sep 2015, 08:39

Blur don't care about succeeding anywhere at this point. I mean, they care about it from an ego-perspective, but is not selling out Madison Square Garden going to hit you that hard anyway?

They are men in their mid and late 40s with kids. They have millions of dollars, they can work when they want, they can choose to leave their families for a week at a time here and there and still headline festivals and get the thrill of playing live. They've amassed a really impressive catalogue of albums, they have a huge name, they've lived the lives and have the stories and memories to back it all up... and no band's going to ever hit an upward trajectory this late into a career – especially when their peak in Britain, and even in the US with a huge track like Song 2, was so pointy.

It gets annoying travelling after two months when you're doing nothing but having beers, meeting people, checking out brand new cities, and wearing t-shirts every day. It's frustrating, angering, lonely... you can't blame them for not putting up with the travelling/touring lifestyle when the benefit is really pretty negligible.

I don't think anywhere can be too angry. It's piss easy to travel in Europe and the UK in comparison to huge places like the US, and to a bigger extent, Australia. I think the Magic Whip has seen some good shows and they've probably covered the ground you'd expect them to.

downisthenewup

Post by downisthenewup » 17 Sep 2015, 15:18

sparkiepop wrote:Temporary subject change, feeling I'll get yelled at for starting a "GIG: Madison Square Garden" thread six weeks ahead of the event so I'll ask here - anyone have an extra GA floor ticket for sale? Where should I post this? Hi. I'm cool. 8-)
My friend's girlfriend can't make it. I believe I have an extra west ga to sell for face value.

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » 17 Sep 2015, 18:04

Worst British album tour ever! *whine, whimper , moan of despaaaaaaair!!*

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Sep 2015, 06:43

Pavlich - very good points made in your post above.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 23 Sep 2015, 00:42

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Pavlich - very good points made in your post above.
Agreed. I get tired of seeing people moan and moan. Look at things realistically, and just think about how awesome the gigs have been, and how fucking great it is that there were more gigs in the first place...... especially with a fantastic new album to play live!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Sep 2015, 12:02

You're absolutely right of course. Nobody saw TMW coming, so to have all we've had is a wonderful surprise really. We should all just be grateful for what we've had.

Perhaps it's just human nature to want more, then more, then more again... Personally, I'm happy with what we've had. My thing about the RAH was always just a bit of a joke / pipe dream really.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 23 Sep 2015, 12:42

I don't think wanting more is bad by any means. The RAH would be perfect, it would be a great way to end a great year.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 24 Sep 2015, 13:31

I didn't mean to come off as whining or any such nonsense like that, I'm just disappointed that there are only 2 gigs here and in such lousy venues (in terms of their capacity to fill them). But hey, life goes on and I'll live 8-)

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Sep 2015, 00:53

Yeah don't get me wrong, I would loooove to have some club gigs. But honestly, I'm just happy with whatever I can get. Probably my first and ONLY chance to see Blur live!

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 26 Sep 2015, 14:13

MrMagpie wrote:I didn't mean to come off as whining or any such nonsense like that, I'm just disappointed that there are only 2 gigs here and in such lousy venues (in terms of their capacity to fill them). But hey, life goes on and I'll live 8-)
Playing Devil's advocate a bit here Drew, but they have played as many shows in NYC as London, post-2012 and more shows in this time frame in LA.

The promotion/gigs/tour does seem a bit strange, but I'm looking at that from a very self-centred (not to mention UK oriented) POV (was hoping for a smallish full length gig within 3 hours of me).

daii

Post by daii » 26 Sep 2015, 14:32

two weeks for argentina :D

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 26 Sep 2015, 14:45

Yes! Getting closer and closer to the South & North American tour. Can't wait!!! Hoping for an interesting addition or 2 in the setlist, but hell I'll definitely take what we can get haha.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 28 Sep 2015, 08:15

Blur will perform at the Abu Dhabi Gran Prix, November, 28th https://twitter.com/ymcofficial/status/ ... 1601011713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm over the moon right now!! Seeing them for the second time :-)

P.S. I think that the concert management messed up a little - seems like they will perform on Sunday, which is November 29th. Maybe when the band announces the performance it will be clearer
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 28 Sep 2015, 09:53

When I was out in Abu in '09. the circuit had a gig every night of the Grand Prix days (Fri,Sat and Sun). So maybe the 28th is right.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”