The Magic Whip Tour 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Caitlin

Re: The Magic Whip Tour

Post by Caitlin » 10 Sep 2015, 06:51

I don't really understand why there's this sense of entitlement when it comes to the US and gigs. Like, there's been about the same amount of shows as anywhere else outside of Europe. I'm not taking a dig at you, Drew, just trying to make a more general statement about shows in the US.

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 10 Sep 2015, 08:41

MrMagpie wrote:
JAIME wrote:American Tour 2015:

South America:
October 7. Movistar Arena, Santiago(Chile) 8-) :P
October 10. Plaza de la Música, Córdoba(Argentina)
October 11. Estadio Cubierto de Tecnópolis, Buenos Aires(Argentina)

North America:
October 15. Palacio de los Deportes, México D.F.(México)
October 17. Parque Trasloma, Guadalajara(México)
October 20. Hollywood Bowl, Los Ángeles(USA)
October 23. Madison Square Garden, New York City(USA)
Two US dates...still so pathetic... :roll:
We've had three gigs in the UK, all week dates and in areas not easily accessible to everyone. Some perspective, please... think how much you've gotten since the announcement back in February, which you didn't think you were ever going to get. Try to be more positive and more appreciative of what you have, honestly, you'll feel a lot better for it, it really is the way to go.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 10 Sep 2015, 13:42

Caitlin wrote:I don't really understand why there's this sense of entitlement when it comes to the US and gigs. Like, there's been about the same amount of shows as anywhere else outside of Europe. I'm not taking a dig at you, Drew, just trying to make a more general statement about shows in the US.
No offense taken, Caitlin! For me it's not a sense of entitlement so much as, after years of making their feelings about us as a country known, they finally hold out a (small) carrott aaaaaaaaaand...2 gigs. Plus the one Coachella appearance 2 years ago. I'm fine with it, but it still irks me a bit. It's just a little surprising too since Damon has had loads of success here on his own so the band's profile has never been higher, nor has an album sold as well (apart from the s/t). Remember, they tried to make it here in the 1990s in the pre-internet age...nowadays they are so much more well known. I guess it just feels like we're being punished as a fanbase for not "getting it" 20 years ago (although many of us, myself included, *DID*). Such is life...first world problems indeed 8-)

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 10 Sep 2015, 14:34

I think there have been enough US shows - even a free show in NY...

When was the last time they came to Canada?
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 10 Sep 2015, 14:55

metalhipslop wrote:I think there have been enough US shows - even a free show in NY...

July 2003.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 10 Sep 2015, 17:50

metalhipslop wrote:I think there have been enough US shows - even a free show in NY...

5 (counting the free one) in 2 cities (2 in NYC, 3 in LA which included the 2 Coachella shows in 2013) in 12 years is not "enough," although compared to Canada I see your point. Even more baffling as they were arguably MUCH more popular in Canada than they ever were here in the US in the 1990s.

zoozilla

Post by zoozilla » 10 Sep 2015, 18:57

Maybe if the two shows had sold out we would've seen more dates.

As it is, though, I think it's time to accept that the US isn't a good market for Blur and likely never will be.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 10 Sep 2015, 19:20

Exactly. I feel for the US fans, but to be honest, if the dates don't sell out who in their right minds would think 'Yeah, let's book some more!'

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 10 Sep 2015, 20:14

^Why is that? I mean, I can't in all honesty come up with an idea why there become so popular in Canada but not in the U.S. :-)
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 10 Sep 2015, 20:17

Consigliere_11 wrote:^Why is that? I mean, I can't in all honesty come up with an idea why there become so popular in Canada but not in the U.S. :-)
Canada was owned by Britain for a while. I guess it rubbed off on them.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Sep 2015, 21:07

The MSG show hasn't sold out? I thought it did. Not surprising if it hasn't to be honest, the place is too big for Blur. They would have been better suited playing a few dates at the Beacon or another venue of that size.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 11 Sep 2015, 07:06

It's times like these I'm so glad I'm living next door to the UK. Blur only have to come across the water to play here, so we've been very lucky.

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 11 Sep 2015, 07:30

But also Europe hasn't seen a lot of dates with this album. Could it be possible that the tour ends like this?
I find it quite strange, I'm still hoping for some more Europe dates, but maybe Damon it's already in Gorillaz-mode and hasn't free time.

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 11 Sep 2015, 12:05

I really wish I could see them again :( but seeing the fews dates on this tour I can say I'm a privilege person although it was on a festival.... I really hope more dates to add but don't think it finally happens... maybe this summer some festivals.....

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 14 Sep 2015, 16:32

zoozilla wrote:Maybe if the two shows had sold out we would've seen more dates.

As it is, though, I think it's time to accept that the US isn't a good market for Blur and likely never will be.
Oh, I totally agree. But I thought it was dumb for them to book two huge venues they'll be lucky to half-fill. Talk about dispiriting for both band and crowd. And I know they don't want to ever do a huge slog of clubs across the country. But surely some slightly larger halls in key cities across the country (New York, Boston, Chicago, DC, San Fran, LA) would have made more sense? Maybe I'm just being too pragmatic about it...in actuality, it's probably the band don't give a fuck about succeeding here and figure why not just play 2 gigs, see how many people show up, and call it a day.