The Magic Whip Tour 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

twostep

Re: The Magic Whip Tour

Post by twostep » 16 Jun 2015, 22:08

TripleJay97 wrote:
twostep wrote:Foo Fighters have officially cancelled Glastonbury. But I think it's very unlikely that Blur will play in their place.
And their Edinburgh show that I was supposed to be going to :cry:
aw man I'm sure they'll be back
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Jun 2015, 22:21

twostep wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:I don't think they'd have anything to worry about. I know 2009 was the pinnacle in terms of emotions but 6 years later with the addition of new material...they'd be loved. 2009 all over again. I'm sure they'll be asked and after the reception they've received at every show so far I think they could be tempted. We'll have to wait and see...obviously most people will be casual Blur fans though.
the crowd in 2009 didn't feel like casual fans :lol: everyone in the band has said glastonbury was their favourite/best ever show, so yeah, they could go back and play a great set, but it could never top 2009. Is that a reason not to do it? I don't know. For what it's worth (nothing really) there is a lot of support for Blur to fill the slot on the Glasto facebook page, and all the 'who could replace Foo Fighters' articles list them as the 'obvious choice'.

feels super weird that 2009 was six years ago :shock:
I should have been clearer, sorry. I meant that if Blur DO headline then not as many hardcore Blur fans will be there compared to in 2009 when Blur were announced months in advance. :)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

twostep

Post by twostep » 16 Jun 2015, 22:24

yeah, I guess, maybe. Though even in 2009 the festival sold out before blur were announced as headliners or indeed even before they'd announced they were reforming. I just lucked out already having tickets 8-) sure, there are resales closer to the festival, but they're for a fraction of the tickets in question. So I doubt it would make much difference either way
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

danisrubbish

Post by danisrubbish » 17 Jun 2015, 06:49

thestunt wrote:I thought this may happen after the broken leg last week... Wonder if hyde park or isle or white contracts would prevent it but they are the ready made available replacement
I'd say they probably couldn't announce it until those gigs are over so it doesn't affect any sales. So, if it is Blur, they'll probably announce it on Sunday.

danisrubbish

Post by danisrubbish » 17 Jun 2015, 06:51

If they were announced I reckon they'd have to dust off Country House though.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 Jun 2015, 06:56

danisrubbish wrote:If they were announced I reckon they'd have to dust off Country House though.
Probably. Glastonbury, especially if parachuted in last minute, would need to include all the favourites to placate the varied audience.

They've just been talking about it on 6 Music and they were speculating on possible replacements, based on which bands are touring and available that night. Names included Blur of course, Fleetwood Mac, Muse, AC DC. Matt Everitt suggested Florence could step up to the headline slot but can't see that myself.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 17 Jun 2015, 07:49

Let's face it, it will probably be Muse.

JackS

Post by JackS » 17 Jun 2015, 08:25

TripleJay97 wrote:Let's face it, it will probably be Muse.
Nope - they are playing in Sweden on that day, just had a look at their tour dates.

thespider

Post by thespider » 17 Jun 2015, 08:54

I don't think Blur should do it. They've already headlined twice in their career plus they're already doing Isle of Wight. If they could book AC/DC that would be brilliant.

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 17 Jun 2015, 09:08

Blur are probably the only band in a position to step into the slot at such a late stage. But I think they'll just re-jig the existing line-up and give it to Florence.
They're big fans of her and have said in the past she was a future headliner.

Sean

Post by Sean » 17 Jun 2015, 10:24

A sign of the times when someone as piss poor and insignificant as Foghorn & The Machine might HEADLINE Glastonbury. Dear Lord.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 17 Jun 2015, 10:35

Damon has the premiere for Wonderland coming on, not sure about Glasto and think he still suffers from the Gorillaz gig "disaster"

Sarah

Post by Sarah » 17 Jun 2015, 10:37

I may be a bit high off 4 in a week but it's been amazing and exhausting and worth it. good fun good people and I've had lovely waves of nostalgia for how it used to be and is again. Glasgow was the best and going from having 1 ticket at 6:55 to all 3 of us in at 7:20 was a miracle we still can't get over. Roll on Hyde Park and New York. They're playing at the best form of their lives and enjoying it too.
And I had an ice cream from an ice cream van yesterday that was playing the tunes. :D

JackS

Post by JackS » 17 Jun 2015, 11:12

Blur (through a spokesman) have ruled themselves out now, according to NME.

twostep

Post by twostep » 17 Jun 2015, 11:14

It's just been announced that Florence + The Machine are doing it
it's me, d4p