Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Mar 2018, 07:49

JackS wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:
Kibarry wrote:What's the song they play at 1:11:30? I've heard them play it before at other gigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1q4W2XdnHA
parklife
Never heard of that one, how does it go??

Still loving TMW three years on. Right up there with the best.

Kibarry was referring to this.... This... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS8Th4O8VT4

The other time they did it was during Showtime after Damon jumped into the crowd during "There's No Other Way"......

Yeah.... I still am in love w/"TMW"....... I believe right now I rank it my 3rd favorite Blur release, but not too far behind "13" and "Blur" respectively and still gaining ground on those two!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 May 2018, 04:21

I'm sorry, but I'm still in love with this album and I keep on returning back to it all the time..... It's rapidly becoming one of my top fave albums of all-time!

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 02 May 2018, 06:29

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm still in love with this album and I keep on returning back to it all the time..... It's rapidly becoming one of my top fave albums of all-time!
Don't apologize. It's a masterpiece! 8-)
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 02 May 2018, 08:40

It became 3 years old last Friday. But, broadly speaking, it still feels fairly contemporaneous and recent.

By way of contrast, however, just 2 years and 4 months separated the release of Modern Life is Rubbish from the release of The Great Escape - no wonder it all felt totally manic!

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 02 May 2018, 12:13

I'd say it was my 3rd favourite after all this time, I just love the feeling of how Blur'y it actually sounds, with something special from ever member of the group and like they have never been away. I'd sit it behind 13 and maybe Blur too, I still rate the likes of Parklife and MDLIR but have always preferred the direction Blur have gone since TGE.

I do have my doubts a little with regards to a new album, although it is good to know Graham has been working a lot with Gorillaz from his recent interview, so it may spark something hopefully, but I would be happy to hear something like TMW again.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 May 2018, 01:55

I promptly become depressed whenever "Mirrorball" comes on...And no....not because of the song itself, but knowing during the ominous beginning of the song that it signals the final track of "TMW" and I'm always yearning for more. I contend that "Mirrorball" is among the or is the best Blur album finale.

The only song that took awhile to grow on me was "There Are Too Many Of Us" but I began to realize the essence of the song and the urgency they create all throughout and it is so brilliantly layered! The tension builds/mounts all throughout the song and it's so captivating. Not too many songs have that type of impact!

"Ghost Ship" deserves all the love it gets and BEYOND..... I again can go on and on which I already have regarding this EXCEPTIONAL body of work! Blur has to reform again because they still have it!

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 04 May 2018, 09:29

I don't see how The Magic Whip could have been any better. With maybe the exception of Lonesome street, there was no attempt to recreate any past glories from the britpop hayday. It's the sound of 4 hugely creative, accomplished musicians moving forward and it proved that Blur deserve their place in the modern music world.

A frequent criticism I have seen is that they didn't write any big singles, but to be honest, I don't think there was any less effort to do so on TMW than any of the previous 2 or 3 albums. The charts and the industry in general was just different 15 years ago and singles like Coffee and TV and Out of time - which are both pretty alternative tracks - stood a chance of chart success and rotation on MTV. If the music industry had the same mechanics it did in 2005, Ghost Ship, Go Out and even bloody Ong Ong would probably have been relative hits.

stephen

Post by stephen » 04 May 2018, 12:48

I really thought Ong Ong would be a catchy summer hit. It just never caught on.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 May 2018, 14:08

stephen wrote:I really thought Ong Ong would be a catchy summer hit. It just never caught on.
It did for me! Every time I put that one on I'm transported back to driving along winding roads in the English countryside near where I lived before moving to America. I was on my way to see friends to play some basketball and hire a boat on the river, with a few cold beers. I remember it well. Every time I hear that song I am taken back to that day. Hot sun, blue sky. A beautiful summers day.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 04 May 2018, 16:22

Ong Ong and Ghost Ship will forever frequent my summer playlists. Out of all of the blur albums I deeply love and feel joy from, I think TMW is the most joyous by far. It has its melancholy moments as always on a blur album, some of which are just gorgeous (Pyongyang, I'm looking at you.) But with tracks like Lonesome Street, Go Out, Ghost Ship, and Ong Ong, I am always filled with bliss when I hear those tunes. Both because of the tunes themselves and the now nostalgic fondness I have for that album/year in general. It was the first time I could actually experience a blur album release, the excitement of new tunes and a tour, and I got to finally see blur perform in all of their glory. And this forum was a constant source of excitement for me. I could hardly keep up with all of the new posts! Everyone was just so giddy, and for great reason. Out of all the years I wish I could've experienced as a blur fan, I don't think I'd trade 2015 for any of them.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 May 2018, 20:32

If it wasn't for the "TMW", I wouldn't have ventured over the pond for 9 days in June of 2015 and witnessed two amazing days worth of live music (the 18th, Beck, Strokes, Syd Arthur, etc and obviously Blur and the others on the 20th). Also, meeting up w/Jaime from Chile, Gabriel from Brazil, Niklas from Sweden, etc. Hanging out a few times w/them and others deep until dawn in their hotel cafe singing along to Blur and Beatles songs w/them as Gabriel perfected them on his newly bought acoustic guitar. Meeting two lovely females on the 20th, one from London and the other from Argentina and still have kept in touch w/them. All of that was priceless!

I cannot figure out though some of the hate towards "Lonesome Street". I know several find that lyric "And June, June will be over soon again" very grating but Damon somehow managed to predict Hyde Park and all that mounted leading up to that grand spectacle!

thespider

Post by thespider » 01 Jun 2018, 22:14

The Magic Whip is absolutely excellent. 8.5/10 for me. the only thing stopping it being a 9/10 is that there isn't a punk song with a BIG FUCK OFF DISTORTED GRAHAM RIFF. I Broadcast almost manages it but he sounds a bit restrained. I still like that song but I couldn't put it next to Bugman or Coping.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 02 Jun 2018, 11:18

^That’s what Y’all Doomed is for ;)

thespider

Post by thespider » 02 Jun 2018, 13:02

Don't think bonus tracks/discs count.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 09 Aug 2018, 19:18

To think the main bulk of this album was made with the band together in just a week, if Damon could just give 100% to Blur, he hasn't done that for nearly 20 years!

Two very sub par Gorillaz albums in 12 months, BLUR DESERVED MORE RESPECT.