Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by TripleJay97 » 28 Apr 2015, 05:13

afrock817 wrote:Im almost positive this has been covered already...but seriously 240+ pages of this convo...my question is, are there any special versions being released of this album? Thank you :)
Nothing's been announced as of yet. I'm suspicious though, especially because that documentary would make an excellent bonus DVD...

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 28 Apr 2015, 06:18

darkeyelids wrote:
Miki wrote:I held the vinyl in my hand for a few minutes and was really tempted... but I think I'll wait a few months and see if the price goes down a bit.
Don't be so sure, Everyday Robots was around the same price at launch and it has hardly dropped in price.

Vinyl typically doesn't go down in price like other media
Errr yes it has, you can get everyday robots for £13 on vinyl now

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 28 Apr 2015, 06:25

http://thequietus.com/articles/17758-blur-interview

pretty interesting interview
mentions of that "Sandra Song's piece for tQ in February"
graham about it " We're talking about ourselves in another city, not making sweeping statements about people in another city. Just us. You know, Damon actually goes and does stuff. Does research. After he listened to what Stephen and I had done, he went to Hong Kong, filmed, made notes, wrote lyrics about this idea of dislocation. The album's not all, 'It smells here, the food's weird, and all foreigners'."
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

JoelT

Post by JoelT » 28 Apr 2015, 06:46

So did you guys get your download of the album in an email or was it with the physical product? Still waiting on my vinyl...

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 28 Apr 2015, 07:04

tom_cas1 wrote:Also I didn't know Demon Days was worth £100 on vinyl!! I bought one a year or so after a release, wow. Not that I'm selling it of course. :D
I ordered mine on eBay. Placed a bid and then immediately noticed it said UK delivery only. So I sent the seller a PM saying something like, "Sorry mate, I didn't notice it said UK only delivery, I'm in the Republic of Ireland, is that cool? If not, I'll let someone else outbid me." He replied saying it was fine. So I won the record at around £25 around mid January 2010. A few weeks went by and no record. So I sent another PM telling the guy it'd never showed up. This time he was quite surly, saying "This is why I didn't want to deliver outside the UK!" He refunded my money and asked that I give positive feedback and do the right thing if the record did show up. I assured him I would.

Then one random day the following May, on a day off from work I got a notice from the local post man that there was a parcel waiting for me in the post office. I had no albums on the way recently at the time. The only thing it could possibly be was Demon Days. I couldn't believe it when I opened the parcel and there it was, in perfect condition too. I emailed the guy saying "You're not going to believe this but the record's only gone and shown up this morning! Here's your money again." He thanked me for my honesty. It wasn't until about 3 years later that I found out how expensive the album is on eBay about 99% of the time. :shock:

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 28 Apr 2015, 07:08

Finally, i've got mine!! It's beautiful! Love love love it!! :P :D
Beautiful day at work today, whith TMW in my ears, I just hate when somenone rings or disturb me......

munch

Post by munch » 28 Apr 2015, 07:40

My friend just bought the Gorillaz self titled album orderedin. Not sure how rare that one is
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 28 Apr 2015, 08:14

munch wrote:My friend just bought the Gorillaz self titled album orderedin. Not sure how rare that one is
It's weird, but the first one and Plastic Beach are easy to get since they're not out of print I don't think. Demon Days is long out of print though, hence the prices on eBay.

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 28 Apr 2015, 08:22

Just had an e-mail off Amazon telling me I've been refunded £2 for my pre-ordered CD because it has dropped down to £8.99 :D

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 28 Apr 2015, 08:43

metalhipslop wrote:http://thequietus.com/articles/17758-blur-interview

pretty interesting interview
mentions of that "Sandra Song's piece for tQ in February"
graham about it " We're talking about ourselves in another city, not making sweeping statements about people in another city. Just us. You know, Damon actually goes and does stuff. Does research. After he listened to what Stephen and I had done, he went to Hong Kong, filmed, made notes, wrote lyrics about this idea of dislocation. The album's not all, 'It smells here, the food's weird, and all foreigners'."
Gotta love Graham's answer! That article of cultural appropriation (when the album wasn't even out yet, just announced!) was quite absurd.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 28 Apr 2015, 08:44

windymiller wrote:Just had an e-mail off Amazon telling me I've been refunded £2 for my pre-ordered CD because it has dropped down to £8.99 :D
Hey, I only got refunded £1. No fair! :D

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 28 Apr 2015, 08:44

JoelT wrote:So did you guys get your download of the album in an email or was it with the physical product? Still waiting on my vinyl...
Download code comes with the physical record.

Kirkudu

Post by Kirkudu » 28 Apr 2015, 10:08

afrock817 wrote:Im almost positive this has been covered already...but seriously 240+ pages of this convo...my question is, are there any special versions being released of this album? Thank you :)
Still only Japanese CD with Y'all Doomed as bonus track.

james948

Post by james948 » 28 Apr 2015, 10:27

Me too Jay please.
and don't give up on me yet

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 Apr 2015, 10:36

The disc of The Magic Whip reminds me somewhat of the disc of The Spinning Top. Yes they are different but they are both sun-like faces.