Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 09 May 2017, 04:05

tom_cas1 wrote:Blur haven't had a bad album opener, it's as simple as that. I mean:

My god, what a list of incredible songs. Aside from Lonesome Street perhaps, all of those songs could easily be in Blur's "top 10 songs" list.

I am just wondering (I know we're obviously entitled to our own opinion) why you wouldn't rank "Lonesome Street" up there? I understand since obviously it's a "newer" song of theirs that it might take time to realize fully the song's greatness. That song instantly for me (obviously for me) catapulted immediately up there as one of the best songs, not just by Blur, by anyone else in general! I cannot explain it in mere further in mere words! :D
KingLouieLouie76

Postby tom_cas1 » 09 May 2017, 04:33

Oh I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like the song, I absolutely LOVE IT and I remember the feeling of being blown away at MODE when Blur opened the show with it. I just don't think any songs on The Magic Whip make their top 10 songs list yet. :)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 09 May 2017, 04:37

tom_cas1 wrote:Oh I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like the song, I absolutely LOVE IT and I remember the feeling of being blown away at MODE when Blur opened the show with it. I just don't think any songs on The Magic Whip make their top 10 songs list yet. :)

Oh... I never was under the impression that you didn't like the song, but not already worship it! :lol:
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Rubi » 09 May 2017, 15:57

tom_cas1 wrote:Blur haven't had a bad album opener, it's as simple as that. I mean:

She's So High
For Tomorrow
Girls & Boys
Stereotypes
Beetlebum
Tender
Ambulance
Lonesome Street

My god, what a list of incredible songs. Aside from Lonesome Street perhaps, all of those songs could easily be in Blur's "top 10 songs" list.

She's So High not so much.
Rubi

Postby munch » 09 May 2017, 19:05

she's so high great
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man
munch

Postby 101reykjavik » 11 May 2017, 17:51

mwm1444 wrote:The album has some nice bits. I particularly like the guitar in New World Towers.
Lonesome street is like a bad MLIR Bside to me though, sorry if thats against popular opinion. I just cant stand 2 parts. Firstly, Damon singing that bit that goes 'or well it was' *shiver*

And secondly, the sudden drop in tempo and how long it lingers as if trying to find a depth that really isnt there.

That said, I think the album is a strong 6.8, 6.9 out of ten. I just wish they spent a few more weeks in the studio together. I was left feeling we and the rest of the band should have been grateful that Damon returned to write lyrics for a couple of days.

I like the song a lot, I really do, but I agree with this. Even when I first heard it my instinct was always that it should pick up again after 'And if you have nobody left to rely on, I'll hold you in my arms and let you drift' and bang, back in. It dithers too long after that bit in my humble opinion.
101reykjavik

Postby Rubi » 11 May 2017, 20:43

101reykjavik wrote:
mwm1444 wrote:The album has some nice bits. I particularly like the guitar in New World Towers.
Lonesome street is like a bad MLIR Bside to me though, sorry if thats against popular opinion. I just cant stand 2 parts. Firstly, Damon singing that bit that goes 'or well it was' *shiver*

And secondly, the sudden drop in tempo and how long it lingers as if trying to find a depth that really isnt there.

That said, I think the album is a strong 6.8, 6.9 out of ten. I just wish they spent a few more weeks in the studio together. I was left feeling we and the rest of the band should have been grateful that Damon returned to write lyrics for a couple of days.

I like the song a lot, I really do, but I agree with this. Even when I first heard it my instinct was always that it should pick up again after 'And if you have nobody left to rely on, I'll hold you in my arms and let you drift' and bang, back in. It dithers too long after that bit in my humble opinion.

Indeed. That's why I prefer the radio edit instead. It omits that unnecessary part you're talking about, and it's short and sweet.
Rubi

Postby Forever Low Man » 12 May 2017, 15:48

what part is edited out of lonesome street
Forever Low Man

Postby Rubi » 12 May 2017, 15:56

Forever Low Man wrote:what part is edited out of lonesome street

It's got to be that time again
And June, June will be over soon again

Plus the ending is shorter.
Rubi

Postby Forever Low Man » 12 May 2017, 15:59

Rubi wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:what part is edited out of lonesome street

It's got to be that time again
And June, June will be over soon again

why would you edit that out

it's part of the song

it's like the video edit of "sweetness and light" that removes the instrumental intro and the GLORIOUS noisy bit from the middle
Forever Low Man

Postby Dom » 16 May 2017, 00:46

tom_cas1 wrote:Oh I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like the song, I absolutely LOVE IT and I remember the feeling of being blown away at MODE when Blur opened the show with it. I just don't think any songs on The Magic Whip make their top 10 songs list yet. :)

imo Pyongyang would have made it if it had the live version's guitar
Dom

Postby Rubi » 16 May 2017, 21:53

Dom wrote:

imo Pyongyang would have made it if it had the live version's guitar

Indeed. The live version of Pyongyang is sublime.
Rubi

PreviousNext

Return to Blur