Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Blur - The Magic Whip

Postby tom_cas1 » 03 May 2017, 22:38

Ambulance is the best Blur album opener of all time.

Ambulance demo...THAT I would love to hear. I take it it's never been released?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby Forever Low Man » 03 May 2017, 23:19

tom_cas1 wrote:Ambulance is the best Blur album opener of all time.

tom, you and me...we dont agree on much, but you are oh so very right about that.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners
Forever Low Man

Postby dougharrison » 03 May 2017, 23:22

Forever Low Man wrote:

tom, you and me...we dont agree on much, but you are oh so very right about that.

I really love Ambulance, it sets the mood perfectly fot TT, but Beetlebum has got to be the best album opener
dougharrison

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 04 May 2017, 17:04

"Lonesome Street" to me is their best album opener immediately followed by "Ambulance" and then "Beetlebum"......
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Dekagamer7X9 » 04 May 2017, 18:41

Though I like The Magic Whip, ever since it came out I've felt that the track order really doesn't work. So, I decided to make my own version of the album (which includes Y'all Doomed), and I think the album flows much better with the tracks placed in this order.

1: Lonesome Street
2: Go Out
3: Ong Ong
4: New World Towers
5: Ice Cream Man
6: Thought I Was A Spaceman
7: I Broadcast
8: Ghost Ship
9: Mirrorball
10: There Are Too Many Of Us
11: My Terracotta Heart
12: Pyongyang
13: Y'all Doomed

Now obviously this track order isn't going to work for everyone, but for me it makes the album much, much better, and eliminates all the problems I had with the album (New World Towers being the second track, Mirrorball being the finale, Y'all Doomed not being included at all, mood whiplash), without removing anything from the album at all.
Dekagamer7X9

Postby Consigliere_11 » 07 May 2017, 10:38

Forever Low Man wrote:

And that makes the three of us. Ambulance is such a killer opener, on record and live - such a shame there is no demo available (yet?) and that blur stopped performing it after 2003-04 (should have brought it from the TT era instead of Caravan they were playing during the latest tour, imo)
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)
Consigliere_11

Postby Rubi » 07 May 2017, 11:17

Consigliere_11 wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:

And that makes the three of us. Ambulance is such a killer opener, on record and live - such a shame there is no demo available (yet?) and that blur stopped performing it after 2003-04 (should have brought it from the TT era instead of Caravan they were playing during the latest tour, imo)

Justs three? I'm pretty sure Ambulance has many fans. It's a fucking brilliant song.
Rubi

Postby MrMagpie » 07 May 2017, 15:06

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:"Lonesome Street" to me is their best album opener immediately followed by "Ambulance" and then "Beetlebum"......

Those are my top three as well. Hard to forget "For Tomorrow," but for me it's "Ambulance" and "Beetlebum" tied at the very top.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem
MrMagpie

Postby Styopa » 08 May 2017, 14:09

For me, good as Ambulance and Lonesome Street are, their best album opener has to come from one of either For Tomorrow, Girls & Boys or Beetlebum. These 3 were all career defining and era defining tracks that have stood the test of time and still sound great today. They're all bona fide classics and a major part of the band's legacy. Collectively they represent a lot of what Blur are about - the classic, quintessential Englishness as evidenced in For Tomorrow, the playfulness and ability to experiment with other genres as evidenced in Girls & Boys, and the darker, more obtuse side as evidenced in Beetlebum.
Styopa

Postby munch » 08 May 2017, 15:10

Blur is the best band ever
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man
munch

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 09 May 2017, 02:17

Styopa wrote:For me, good as Ambulance and Lonesome Street are, their best album opener has to come from one of either For Tomorrow, Girls & Boys or Beetlebum. These 3 were all career defining and era defining tracks that have stood the test of time and still sound great today. They're all bona fide classics and a major part of the band's legacy. Collectively they represent a lot of what Blur are about - the classic, quintessential Englishness as evidenced in For Tomorrow, the playfulness and ability to experiment with other genres as evidenced in Girls & Boys, and the darker, more obtuse side as evidenced in Beetlebum.

That is a solid post! "Blur" obviously was the album they transitioned and reinvented their sound the most on and just the instrumental intro between the bass and guitar helped punctuate that. I absolutely love "For Tomorrow", but I often wondered if even "Popscene" was included on "MLIR" would have made for a better album opener.

I love how "Lonesome Street" (which I absolutely immediately fell under its spell) set the tone for "TMW"..... Just again even the mere intro really presents the dynamics/impact of the album.

"Stereotypes" obviously isn't the best album opener, but it essentially does convey the rather darker tone on "TGE"..... "Tender" I've always been mixed on, "She's So High" is probably the absolute worst Blur album opener, "Girls & Boys" sets the celebratory and rather ironic mood of "PL" and the aforementioned "Ambulance" entrances everyone.

Yes, indeed one of the best bands of all-time, definitely within the past 25+ years!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby tom_cas1 » 09 May 2017, 02:22

Blur haven't had a bad album opener, it's as simple as that. I mean:

She's So High
For Tomorrow
Girls & Boys
Stereotypes
Beetlebum
Tender
Ambulance
Lonesome Street

My god, what a list of incredible songs. Aside from Lonesome Street perhaps, all of those songs could easily be in Blur's "top 10 songs" list.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

PreviousNext

Return to Blur