Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Feb 2015, 17:58

To be fair I don't dislike the Go Out video, but I didn't pay attention to it. I was just listening to the music.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 27 Feb 2015, 18:26

tom_cas1 wrote:To be fair I don't dislike the Go Out video, but I didn't pay attention to it. I was just listening to the music.
+1

'Allo Vera

Post by 'Allo Vera » 27 Feb 2015, 18:30

Blur maintains the weirdest ability to keep perpetual, story-line continuity for the band. I don't know how they do it and if it's consciously done. "Go Out" sounds like pensive, even mopey Damon from "Everyday Robots" is being scrubbed up and pulled out of the house by the rest of the band. You can feel the whole machine having the rust cleaned off, starting-up again.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Feb 2015, 19:10

Just read that the song "There Are Too Many Of Us" from the new album was inspired by the Sydney hostage situation. Pretty recent then, unlike other tracks that originated in 2013.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

twostep

Post by twostep » 27 Feb 2015, 19:22

They already said that damon added lyrics recently to music they'd recorded in Hong kong and later built upon. So it could just be new lyrics on an existing track from Hong kong
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

rich

Post by rich » 27 Feb 2015, 19:24

tom_cas1 wrote:Just read that the song "There Are Too Many Of Us" from the new album was inspired by the Sydney hostage situation. Pretty recent then, unlike other tracks that originated in 2013.
I think it's the lyrics that reflect (very) recent work from Damon, with the music dating back to those initial workouts in HK in late 2013 and Graham and Stephen refining tracks last autumn - this is what I got from the launch interview - managed to listen to most of it live as I was trying to work - as I am now :roll: ...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 27 Feb 2015, 20:14

twostep wrote:They already said that damon added lyrics recently to music they'd recorded in Hong kong and later built upon. So it could just be new lyrics on an existing track from Hong kong
Exactly.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

preston

Post by preston » 28 Feb 2015, 11:48

A week after the release of Go Out I can say that it's not bad but far from all previous first singles of a new album (she's so high - for tomorrow - girls&boys - country house - beetlebum - tender - out of time)...it seems a very good bside :roll:

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 28 Feb 2015, 13:45

Is anyone else just still totally buzzing about this?

I've loved listening to all the new interviews, just listened to the Jo Whiley one, shame Graham didn't get Blue Jeans on!

I'm loving the build up to a new album and tour again;loving the first song especially after listening to it through my headphones!

I'm loving that we now have a forum that is busy with people and there is something to talk about! Although disappointed the official one closed, the lack of life on there due to there being nothing new to talk about was pretty depressing and a reminder that the band no longer made music.

I had totally given up on a new album, turned on 6 music and Out of time was playing and then Steve Lamacq said that it was from the last Blur album or so we thought until today, or something along those lines, the excitement I felt at that moment I will always remember. Similar to when the reunion was announced in 2009.

I'm 31 years old and married now, but spent an hour last night looking at Blur pictures on Google to set as my desktop background on my computer! It has totally taken me back to my late teens/early 20s when a new album by my favourite band was the biggest thing. I like loads of bands and look forward to their albums but not like this. Really has brought an extra buzz back into my life.

I also find it breathes that extra bit of life into the back catalogue when I'm listening to it! :-)

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 28 Feb 2015, 21:18

tom_cas1 wrote:Just read that the song "There Are Too Many Of Us" from the new album was inspired by the Sydney hostage situation. Pretty recent then, unlike other tracks that originated in 2013.
Yeah, he wrote the lyrics in Sydney. So it was being worked on right up until at least late December last year.

Tbh, knowing he wrote lyrics about it, I'm not sure how I'll go listening to that song. Still a bit raw for me. :?

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 28 Feb 2015, 21:27

Wish people wouldn't ask Damon what songs are about before the songs are even heard...
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 28 Feb 2015, 23:09

US mag Entertainment Weekly gave Go Out an A- rating. I don't think it's THAT good. But their musical tastes are very questionable.

twostep

Post by twostep » 01 Mar 2015, 00:38

There's an interview with Graham here:
http://gu.com/p/46878
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 01 Mar 2015, 02:59

dparrott wrote:US mag Entertainment Weekly gave Go Out an A- rating. I don't think it's THAT good. But their musical tastes are very questionable.
Eh, that magazine is a crap magazine.

However, it word gets around to them that Americans really like it and it's in print like a rating in a magazine maybe they'll take note and come around here. :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 01 Mar 2015, 09:53

twostep wrote:There's an interview with Graham here:
http://gu.com/p/46878
Interesting, thanks. True what Graham says, Blur has always been very hierarchical - Damon has always driven a lot of the creative decisions really. So it's exciting in prospect to this time have a Blur record coming from a slightly different angle, with Graham taking the lead. And the easy assumption is therefore to think it will mean lots of guitars, but he suggests he was careful not to simply go to his default sound, so that's intriguing too. Can't wait to hear the results.