Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

windymiller

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by windymiller » 22 Feb 2015, 20:31

Still can't believe Thursdays announcement. Then was shocked to see the official forums had gone. Hadn't looked in for a few months.
Just hope when it comes to the warm-up gigs us long term fans get a heads up warning and advance pre-sale like previous years.
Had to miss out on Hyde Park last time due to my son ending up in hospital that morning, but having seen them at Wolves Civic the week before didn't completely miss out.

Rudolf

Post by Rudolf » 22 Feb 2015, 21:12

Jensen wrote:Maybe it is granted, but I have to say how excited I am with the new album. The announcement was unexpected, I too had given up on my hopes (if not entirely, at least for a short-medium term) when Damon declared that those Hong Kong recordings were not going to see the light.

So apparently they made this album in five days, and one could think that it's rushed. But I am very confident about its quality for three reasons. The first one is the fact that it was Graham who started everything. I really love that he seems to be so implicated with this new material. The second one is that Damon was so impressed with the results of the Graham+Stephen reworks that he had no choice but to approve it :lol: I mean, it is Damon who always seemed so reluctant about reigniting the Blur flame, at least creatively speaking, so this time it must be really great stuff.

The third one is, of course, Go Out. I was somehow nervous when in the press conference they said they were playing the new song straight away, but then, as soon as I heard the beginning... I felt relieved. It sounded so BLUR, and slightly different at the same time. But I could recognise all of them and my biggest fear was that after all this time and all their different evolutions they could've lost their unique sound. But this song is so them that I could easily place it somewhere between Self Titled and 13.

I still can't believe that in two months I am going to have a brand new Blur record in my hands. And I was thinking 2015 was going to be quite lame musically speaking... :D
exactly! you could have said that the voice of damon is young again! :lol:

---

I had posted this topic, saying that the music was weak, now a thinks is very fine!

Westway

Post by Westway » 22 Feb 2015, 21:53

metalhipslop wrote:
Westway wrote:
tweedz wrote:Ambulance?? What's that?? Haha
one of the top 5 blur tunes, keep up bro
that's true, except for you talking to Graham like he is just some random guy on the internet.
thats what he is

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 22 Feb 2015, 22:07

JordanPowers wrote:Gene By Gene would be perfect to play at an event like Hyde Park. Imagine the crowd's reaction to Graham playing the intro.
:lol:

Thanks for the good laugh, man!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 22 Feb 2015, 22:07

Yeah, you stick it to Graham, Westway. I'm sure he's really impressed. :roll:

Westway

Post by Westway » 22 Feb 2015, 22:11

101reykjavik wrote:Yeah, you stick it to Graham, Westway. I'm sure he's really impressed. :roll:
im not sticking it to anyone bro, i have never met him and we dont know eachother, so why should i treat him any differently than anyone else ?

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 22 Feb 2015, 22:41

Gene by gene?? I imagine that is one of the songs Damon is thinking of when he talks about the stinkers on Think tank.

Dreadful dreadful song!

twostep

Post by twostep » 22 Feb 2015, 22:59

Yeah it's bad. I don't like Think Tank in the main though. In light of Damon's comments about it not being a blur album I doubt we'll hear much, if anything, of it live
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 22 Feb 2015, 23:08

twostep wrote:Yeah it's bad. I don't like Think Tank in the main though. In light of Damon's comments about it not being a blur album I doubt we'll hear much, if anything, of it live
booo, but I love "Out of time"

..if there's a Gorillaz song on TT, I would say gene by gene

and now I have to think about vanilla ice scream and masturbating

Plexihead

Post by Plexihead » 22 Feb 2015, 23:12

The Think Tank album will be way off the radar. If you're lucky , Battery In your leg will be played at the warm ups and Out of time will hold in the main set. The other material on that album is too weak. There's far more interesting and stronger stuff to put in the set, stuff that's a true representation of Blur as a band, let's be realistic.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 22 Feb 2015, 23:29

Daysleeper wrote:Gene by gene?? I imagine that is one of the songs Damon is thinking of when he talks about the stinkers on Think tank.

Dreadful dreadful song!
Agreed. Along with Crazy Beat. Both produced by Cook.
Plexihead wrote:The Think Tank album will be way off the radar. If you're lucky , Battery In your leg will be played at the warm ups and Out of time will hold in the main set. The other material on that album is too weak. There's far more interesting and stronger stuff to put in the set, stuff that's a true representation of Blur as a band, let's be realistic.
Too weak? Nah. Think Tank is full of gems. Ambulance, Good Song, Caravan and Sweet Song are some of the band's best. I would personally kill for a live performance of Caravan.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Feb 2015, 23:36

I wouldn't say Think Tank is weak at all, songs like Ambulance, Good Song and Caravan would be great. Some Glad Morning and Battery In Your Leg are easily done. We'll have to wait and see, no doubt the boys have already discussed Think Tank tracks sometime in the last 7 years since reuniting.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 22 Feb 2015, 23:50

It is going to be a tough setlist to call, if you think about the endless debates since the reunion about song choices, well imagine maybe 8 or more songs off the new album too, there will be no correct setlist, too many good songs to choose from.

I still can't believe the quality of the new track, I would have expected it to sound rushed and under developed with what seems like the band were just seeing if they could create something new and ok there sounds like there has been more done to the tracks since, it shows what a difference a great producer and a lot of love from Graham in particular can do.

My thought are the same as many others on the forum, I was so happy to hear the track and think it sounded like Blur rather than a Damon project, almost like the years after 1999 never happened.

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 22 Feb 2015, 23:53

Caravan is SO beautiful, hauntingly so and the lyrics feel so heartfelt
A couple of days ago I was listening to it non stop and I almost felt like tearing up a bit, that doesn't happen often :cry:
I'd say the only hideous song in TT is indeed gene by gene, there rest are ok and some are very very good

rich

Post by rich » 23 Feb 2015, 00:34

hey Mr Magpie, you get a mention here!
http://rwffmusic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02 ... o-out.html
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405