Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

101reykjavik

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by 101reykjavik » 22 Feb 2015, 14:00

I think I will go to Hyde Park, purely because of the new material. I don't think I would consider it otherwise. And it acts as a bit of a policy against missing out on warm up gig tickets etc, though with a bit of luck I'll see something from those too.

twostep

Post by twostep » 22 Feb 2015, 14:27

Yeah, I was only interested in attending another blur show if there was new material. I'm sure hyde park will be a great time! I was in two minds, but I think £75 tickets is just too much for that venue, plus Im not keen on gigs with any kind of 'priority entry' that you have to pay extra for. Basically I think I got my hyde park fill in 2009 and 12.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

munch

Post by munch » 22 Feb 2015, 14:37

I feel extremely lucky to have gone to the 2009 Hyde Park show, as well as their warm up in Plymouth. Plus I saw Gorillaz twice in the UK and met Damon at Dr Dee!!

But my days of UK gigs are over unfortunately! As I now sit in the desert of Australia. They did cancel their last one though so very much hoping they will come.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 22 Feb 2015, 15:07

aldamasta wrote:
sara-m-a wrote:
aldamasta wrote:Ah another person to show Blur that America is interested!
America was interested! As far as I can tell the shows in Mexico, Argentina and Chile were massive, not sure about Perú and Brazil, but probably decent sized crowds. It was USA that wasn't so much, just how many clueless people showed up at coachella thinking "well well my, these guys might have a bright future!" :lol:

Now what really surprised the last time around, was that I heard no moanig whatsover from Canada, for some reason I thought they might have been more popular there
Yeah haven't really heard much from Canada haha. Yes Mexico, Chile, and Argentina do seem to LOVE Blur! I have a Blur friend from each of those countries. Chile has been so lucky lately!! My Chilean friend went to see Blur in 2013, then last year saw Dave DJ and Damon perform! They love South America :D So I'm sure if they tour in the western hemisphere, they definitely will in Chile.
In fact Damon said that the best concert during 2014 was here in Chile. The atmosphere was perfect, and everybody sang every song in a beautiful way
Also Dave said "Gotta love Chile" in Valparaíso and was very very happy with the atmosphere too.

Well, and considering that we also pay the most expensive tickets in the continent ("thanks" to the local producers :x ), I'm confident about a 2nd visit of my favorite band to Chile.

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 22 Feb 2015, 15:28

Jaime, I'm curious about the quote in your signature, where is it from?

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 22 Feb 2015, 15:33

Indiana wrote:Jaime, I'm curious about the quote in your signature, where is it from?
Hi Indiana.
Well, it's only my personal "adaptation" of the line "It was 20 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play" (Blur and The Beatles are my favourite bands). ;)

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 22 Feb 2015, 15:41

sara-m-a wrote:
dparrott wrote: I vote for inserting some random b-sides into the live set.
Yes! Dancehall, No monsters in me, Tame, day upon day, there are SO many good b sides, certainly one of the best Blur's qualities is that even their spares are good! XD
I'm thinking Inertia, Explain, Hanging Over and/or Magpie. DUD is a good call, possibly an encore. Let's not forget us older fans!

With songs from TMW, it can't just be all singles obviously. Their set list was getting too predictable. It needs to be a good mix of TMW, singles, album tracks and b-sides.

They should have a poll on the website to be in touch with what the fans want to hear. (ex: no more Parklife)

Too-small-cardigan

Post by Too-small-cardigan » 22 Feb 2015, 15:58

Hi. Been peaking on the old forum for ages (I was waiting for news about the follow up album to 13 as a four piece). So thrilled about Magic Whip. In 09 I went to Hyde Park - now I am considering the June gig in Hyde Park, but I might be more keen on a smaller warm up gig. But does anyone here - who dosen't live in the UK - have experience on buying tickets to any of the earlier UK/London warm up gigs?

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 22 Feb 2015, 16:20

dparrott wrote:Let's not forget us older fans!
They've been away so long by now we're all older fans.
dparrott wrote:no more Parklife
I bet that the majority of ticket buyers will disagree.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 22 Feb 2015, 16:28

dparrott wrote:
They should have a poll on the website to be in touch with what the fans want to hear. (ex: no more Parklife)
I think The Rolling Stones quite often have a poll for each gig whereby you can vote which lesser-known song they perform that night. Maybe one or two of these is more likely than a setlist which is half b-sides.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 22 Feb 2015, 16:35

No way they won't play all the obvious hits at Hyde Park, it's that kind of crowd (mix of fans and the curious onlooker). If they do an album supporting tour / gigs however, I'd hope and expect a more varied set list to please the core fan base that would attend.

Fena

Post by Fena » 22 Feb 2015, 18:58

i think, it's a good idea in "Advert" say the number's count in chinese with pronunciation... a say, but only a think.
My name is Fernanda, and finally know Graham

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 22 Feb 2015, 19:40

Maybe it is granted, but I have to say how excited I am with the new album. The announcement was unexpected, I too had given up on my hopes (if not entirely, at least for a short-medium term) when Damon declared that those Hong Kong recordings were not going to see the light.

So apparently they made this album in five days, and one could think that it's rushed. But I am very confident about its quality for three reasons. The first one is the fact that it was Graham who started everything. I really love that he seems to be so implicated with this new material. The second one is that Damon was so impressed with the results of the Graham+Stephen reworks that he had no choice but to approve it :lol: I mean, it is Damon who always seemed so reluctant about reigniting the Blur flame, at least creatively speaking, so this time it must be really great stuff.

The third one is, of course, Go Out. I was somehow nervous when in the press conference they said they were playing the new song straight away, but then, as soon as I heard the beginning... I felt relieved. It sounded so BLUR, and slightly different at the same time. But I could recognise all of them and my biggest fear was that after all this time and all their different evolutions they could've lost their unique sound. But this song is so them that I could easily place it somewhere between Self Titled and 13.

I still can't believe that in two months I am going to have a brand new Blur record in my hands. And I was thinking 2015 was going to be quite lame musically speaking... :D

rich

Post by rich » 22 Feb 2015, 19:42

well said Jenson :) Exciting times!

rich 8-)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

JordanPowers

Post by JordanPowers » 22 Feb 2015, 20:14

Gene By Gene would be perfect to play at an event like Hyde Park. Imagine the crowd's reaction to Graham playing the intro.
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section
You should be off the Blur forum