Blur - The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Blureu

Re: NEW ALBUM: The Magic Whip

Post by Blureu » 17 Jun 2015, 19:49

ha! Just thought the same while watching the Paris show.
daii wrote:does anyone already mentioned that the new version of girls and boys sounds like the pet shop boys remix?

Sean

Post by Sean » 18 Jun 2015, 07:21

Yes that breakdown is very PSB remix. Nice little touch.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 18 Jun 2015, 08:25

I don't know if it's already written, but Graham is now interviewed by Shaun Keaveny on BBC6 radio

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 18 Jun 2015, 08:41

I wrote it on the general blur thread
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Sean

Post by Sean » 22 Jun 2015, 11:57

So what next? It feels like this latest chapter is drawing to an end, certainly as far as the UK is concerned.

They have a couple of European festivals in July, playing in Hong Kong en route to Australia where they play 4 dates, then that's it until September when they Electric Picnic in Ireland. Four dates in October - two in South America and two in the US - and that's it.

What do people think the future holds? I'll be surprised if they don't make another record. I reckon the fact they can knock together a great record in what in music-making terms was about five minutes will have given them great confidence. On the other hand it could be argued they'll wanna finish on this high note and not risk jeopardising anything by releasing a crap record after this.

Touring wise it must be difficult.......at their age! :lol: Seriously though it's arduous and has taken its toll.

For me personally it feels like this chapter is just about done. It's been amazing...a wonderful surprise that worked out better than I could've hoped. I'm proud of them, I still love them and I hope I haven't seen the last of them.

daii

Post by daii » 22 Jun 2015, 12:10

2016 > Gorillaz and Graham new records
2017 > Another Blur album (?? (or TGTBTQ...or MAYBE damon takes a year off -highly unlikely-)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Jun 2015, 12:24

This chapter isn't done yet, it'll be done when they play their final show of the year. I still think there'll be more UK shows at some point as well, either in September or November. Plenty of shows to go until the end of the year!

As far as 2016 goes, we have no proof whatsoever that a new Gorillaz album is coming. I doubt Damon has had much time to work on it IF it's on the cards. Saying that, I'd certainly welcome it!

I do think Blur will carry on though and release more albums. Why wouldn't they? It's not like The Beatles where they were falling out and decided to make one last great album (Abbey Road), Blur are on great terms and if anything this year will make them realise how loved they are and how much people have enjoyed the new albums. We want more!!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

bugman

Post by bugman » 22 Jun 2015, 13:12

Hmm i Think those shows are good,very good but im not sure if Damon give us 100% his soul. For me 2009-12 shows Were better. If we get someday a new album it wont happend soon. Gorillaz,solo,gbq.. I Dont Think Damon really care about another blur record

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Jun 2015, 13:31

bugman wrote:Hmm i Think those shows are good,very good but im not sure if Damon give us 100% his soul. For me 2009-12 shows Were better. If we get someday a new album it wont happend soon. Gorillaz,solo,gbq.. I Dont Think Damon really care about another blur record
That's not the impression I got when I saw them live. Damon was well into it and he seems to be enjoying this new period.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sean

Post by Sean » 22 Jun 2015, 13:40

I think Damon has loved it too. He's proper, he doesn't do half measures, and after 09/12 he wouldn't have done this without it being proper. They had some great new material, he lost weight, got fitter, everything. He even juggled all this at the same time as him doing the wonder.land stuff.
Last edited by Sean on 22 Jun 2015, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 22 Jun 2015, 13:40

tom_cas1 wrote:This chapter isn't done yet, it'll be done when they play their final show of the year. I still think there'll be more UK shows at some point as well, either in September or November. Plenty of shows to go until the end of the year!

As far as 2016 goes, we have no proof whatsoever that a new Gorillaz album is coming. I doubt Damon has had much time to work on it IF it's on the cards. Saying that, I'd certainly welcome it!

I do think Blur will carry on though and release more albums. Why wouldn't they? It's not like The Beatles where they were falling out and decided to make one last great album (Abbey Road), Blur are on great terms and if anything this year will make them realise how loved they are and how much people have enjoyed the new albums. We want more!!!
Quite agree with you that this chapter isn't yet done and that's a very anglo-centric point of view to say its done, I expect there will be more dates added yet too (possibly including the UK).

Think it's genuinely very undecided if there will be future Blur records or not. On stage Blur still seem to have a lot of chemistry, but the individual interviews and things suggest that they don't want to spend all their time in each other's company. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I relate it to my relationship with my brother, under the same roof we used to bicker and argue a lot about mostly stupid pointless crap. Living apart now we find much more in common and let minor things go with greater ease. I suspect relationships within Blur could easily be similar and another album means more gigs and/or touring which means more rehearsals too. As much as its clear they didn't always enjoy the promotional grind of days gone by, I wonder if it was also being forced to spend so much time together too, not much room for space if you've just had a disagreement for example.

I also think it was probably telling that TMW came out of the third attempt to record an album since 09 and there was some truth in Damon's comments that it can be difficult to create music with only him and Alex as working musicians. One thing I am sure on is Blur won't release another record unless they are totally happy with it and I don't think they will force one out if they feel it's not working on a personal or artistic level. Fair play to them for that. (admittedly a perspective I've totally invented that I'm giving them credit for).

Sean

Post by Sean » 22 Jun 2015, 13:45

LOL I didn't say it was done - I said it feels like it is drawing towards an end from a personal and a UK perspective. And since there are no more UK gigs currently scheduled, I'd say that's reasonable. :lol:

daii

Post by daii » 22 Jun 2015, 14:26

tom_cas1 wrote: Damon was well into it and he seems to be enjoying this new period.
this, he looks more happy now than in the 2013 tour. Anyway, even if he's enjoying it, I don't think he has in mind make another blur record in the near future.
And about Gorillaz, when damon was in US last year he said that he already wrote a lot of stuff for gorillaz. And in other interview he said he was planing to record it in the fall, to finish it around christmas. Probably it will be delayed a bit but I'm pretty sure that it will be released in 2016

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 22 Jun 2015, 14:57

Sean wrote:I think Damon has loved it too. He's proper, he doesn't do half measures, and after 09/12 he wouldn't have done this without it being proper. They had some great new material, he lost weight, got fitter, everything. He even juggled all this at the same time as him doing the wonder.land stuff.
This. Damon is always at pains to ensure he's fully able to commit to something before he does it. Think that's why I was so incredibly surprised - as we all were - that this ever happened at all, as I wasn't convinced Damon was up for a proper Blur campaign again. But I completely get the sense he's thrown himself into it with every ounce of his energy and appears to have enjoyed every minute - from the larking about in photo shoots to the Ong Ong costumes and everything in between.

It's just a feeling, but I do think something will happen in terms of UK gigs towards the end of the year. If not though, what an incredible time, so far, this has been.

It's left me feeling cautiously positive for the future, and this is coming from someone who was pessimistic previously. I don't think they know if they'll ever do something again, but having had such a great time with the TMW (and so critically lauded) if the time was right in the future, I'd hope they would feel it's worthwhile returning to the band once more.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Jun 2015, 15:24

Yes this is the first year since 2009 where I've been hopeful for more in the future. Also the feeling at gigs and the vibe being given off by the band while they've been playing is the best yet since coming back in 2009. Maybe that's due to the new material, I think that's certainly one of the reasons. They've proved they can write together again, record together again, promote, tour, etc etc.