Favourite Blur album

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Favourite Blur album?

Leisure
9%
Modern Life Is Rubbish
23%
Parklife
14%
The Great Escape
No votes
Blur
18%
27%
Think Tank
5%
The Magic Whip
5%

Total votes : 22

Re: Favourite Blur album

Postby Mark72 » 08 Jun 2017, 19:35

My heart will always be with MLIR after first seeing them live at Reading festival back in '93. Bought the album when I got back and It Really was and still is a great angry British record that really stood out to what was going on at the time(Grunge,Suede). And that hit a cord with a 22 year old me that I became a Fan from that day to this day!...I'm 45 now and listen to it at least 4 times a year and it brings back memories of My Younger years and growing up during the '90s

My Updated list
1 MLIR
2 13
3 ST
4 Parklife
5 The Magic Whip
6 The Great Eascape
7 Leisure
8 Think Tank
Mark72

Postby bugman » 08 Jun 2017, 20:03

1. 13 (forever, yes im boring :P)
2. blur
3. the magic whip
4. think tank
5. modern
6. parklife
7. TGE
8. leisure
bugman

Postby DK42 » 14 Jun 2017, 19:31

Well, well, well, I think 13 is gonna my pick. It's predictable perhaps, but I just genuinely love the musical and emotional terrain that album explores. I had heard Song 2 before, like many Americans, it was their big breakout hit here. But I think Coffee & TV was what made me fall in love with them, thanks to Cruel Intentions. It's loaded with songs I continue to listen to, most notably Tender, Bugman, Coffee & TV, Swamp Song, Battle, Caramel, Trimm Trabb, & No Distance Let to Run.
DK42

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 20 Jun 2017, 04:59

Mark72 wrote:My heart will always be with MLIR after first seeing them live at Reading festival back in '93. Bought the album when I got back and It Really was and still is a great angry British record that really stood out to what was going on at the time(Grunge,Suede). And that hit a cord with a 22 year old me that I became a Fan from that day to this day!....

I like MLIR for similar reasons. It was a bit quirky, and a breath of fresh air, amongst what was going on at the time. When indie fans often had to look to such as Carter USM, Crowded House or Shakespeare's Sister for musical excitement :roll: :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby 101reykjavik » 20 Jun 2017, 23:20

My list:

1. 13
2. MLIR (first two pretty interchangable though, I even voted for MLIR in the poll for example to even it up a bit!)
3. S/T
4. Parklife
5. The Great Escape
6. The Magic Whip
7. Think Tank
8. Leisure
101reykjavik

Postby billyhunt » 25 Jul 2017, 18:45

1, Blur
2, 13
3, Parklife
4, MLIR
5, TGE
6, Leisure
7, Think Tank
8, The Magic Whip
billyhunt

Postby sara-m-a » 26 Jul 2017, 23:31

Hard to put them in order, I like all for different reasons, except for leisure... that I don't really listen that much other than sing and there's no other way... I actuallu think that leisure b-sides are better than most tracks in the album :?
sara-m-a

Postby MsMagicAmerica » 27 Jul 2017, 02:41

sara-m-a wrote:Hard to put them in order, I like all for different reasons, except for leisure... that I don't really listen that much other than sing and there's no other way... I actuallu think that leisure b-sides are better than most tracks in the album :?

I feel the exact same about Leisure except I also like Bang. I can't get through the rest of the album though
MsMagicAmerica

Postby northernmonkey » 27 Jul 2017, 10:42

billyhunt wrote:1, Blur
2, 13
3, Parklife
4, MLIR
5, TGE
6, Leisure
7, Think Tank
8, The Magic Whip

How anyone could put Think Tank over TMW is beyond me, yes it has stand out tracks such as Ambulance, Out of Time, Battery & Caravan, but it also has Gene by Gene, Crazy Beat, MPRBC and Jets!! TMW may not have the singles of say Parklife or TGE but it has consistent quality running through it and compared to much of Think Tank it actually sounds like Blur, with that Graham essence.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Think Tank but don't think it holds together quality wise when listening from start to finish.
northernmonkey

Postby billyhunt » 29 Jul 2017, 21:25

Easy. As much as I love Graham's playing and input to the band, I have never taken to TMW..just found the album a bit lacklustre...Even after repeated playing, I've never really warmed to it, IMO.
billyhunt

Postby northernmonkey » 30 Jul 2017, 21:03

Fair point, if you don't warm to it, you can't force it. There have been albums by other artists who I like a lot and had albums for me that just never clicked, despite rave reviews and sales.

Time and future releases can often sway you one way or another. I remember ranking TT up there with Parklife when released in 2003 but it hasn't stood the test of time as well as other Blur releases for me and certainly left a bad taste a little as the years rolled on before 2009 with what happened with Graham and Damon's refusal to commit to Blur again. In some ways TMW has cemented some of TT's songs as classics in the Blur cannon but let's not forget it did have a few turkeys on it, but I do think that was due to not having Graham's input.
northernmonkey

Previous

Return to Blur