general blur thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

aldamasta

Re: general blur thread

Post by aldamasta » 05 Mar 2019, 11:19

I also have a (perhaps blind) hope that blur will be next up… after Damon’s next Malian endeavor. The thing about that is it’s probably quite close to finished by now, relatively speaking, especially considering the pace at which damon works and his recent trip to Mali.

I think the stars may align. The boys are on their best terms in ages, maybe ever, after TMW. Damon will be done soon with TGTBTQ (no way they tour past this year) and again, I doubt the Malian musical will get too in the way of other projects (but I may be proved wrong). Graham has been more active musically than he has been in ages, and seems to be having a great time collaborating with other musicians — and who better to collaborate with than Damon, as they’re unlike any other duo when put together. Alex is probably just waiting for the call any day, other than when he’s planning the Big Feastival, and the timing may work out now that Dave will be available.

Again, this may be blind hope, but I seriously doubt we have seen the last of blur. And I would love to have Tony Visconti producing a new blur album based on how great Merrie Land is. Also, TracyJosh, I would also like another Damon solo album. But hopefully after blur! :)

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 05 Mar 2019, 11:37

Everytime I think maybe we won't have anymore Blur, I watch New World Towers doc and the part Damon says how great it is to have Blur as a fully functional band again (rather than just touring nostalgia I'd imagine) and the part about having plenty more adventures left in Blur. I also agree about the producer, amazing job on Merrie Land.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 01 Apr 2019, 12:54

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news ... es-2325227

Here's a pretty cool look back at Blur's 1995 show in Grimsby.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 07 Jun 2019, 03:25

Blur are ten songs into their much hyped Hyde Park 2019 reunion concert. Its basically the same as 2009 and 2012, and only one Magic Whip song has survived (Ong Ong), and it seems to be very hits-oriented, but everyone's having a good time.

"I want to introduce you to a friend," Damon announces to the sold out crowd, who cheer loudly, perhaps anticipating Noel Gallagher, Snoop Dogg or Paul McCartney

"Oi!", shouts a cockney accent from the side of the stage. But the crowd knew it was Phil Daniels before they even saw him walk to the stage front.

Half the crowd, the long time fans, are rolling their eyes thinking "stop wheeling Phil out do 'Parklife' for crying out loud! You do this everytime! We've heard it everytime!". The other half of the crowd, the more passive among them, are cheering "Yay they're gonna do Parklife! my favourite!"

But the passive fans turned to quick bemusement when, instead of leading them in with his riff, Graham disappears from the stage and is replaced with a steadily ticking electronic beat.

"Y'all muggy little tart," Phil announces. Yep, it's Me White Noise!

The huge Blur fans in the audience are stunned that this is being performed. What the hell!? The other half of the audience are totally annoyed by what to them seemed like a meandering nothing, with a drunk Phil atonally intoning some random nonsense about nothing over these beats.

It turned out to be a 15 minute extended version. It had all the loud bits from the original - CAN WE STOP NOW! PLEASE!, YOU'RE BORINGGGGG! - except Phil took it in his stride to amplify the menace by going down to the front of the audience, shouting "YOU'RE BORING!" and "CAN WE STOP NOW!" into the individual ears of about 30 people, who it seems were deafened by the experience.

After this avant-garde HORROR, Damon announces to the exhausted, disgruntled audience that "we're gonna do another with Phil actually. Stay for one more, won't you Phil?" Phil of course replies, "my pleasyah"

Half the crowd, the long time fans, are rolling their eyes thinking "stop wheeling Phil out do 'Parklife' for crying out loud! You do this everytime! We've heard it everytime!". The other half of the crowd, the more passive among them, are cheering "Yay they're finally gonna do Parklife! my favourite!"

Blur and Phil then immediately start performing the Sunnyside Farm theme tune.

For 30 minutes.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Jun 2019, 04:16

Damon likes to keep everyone guessing.... :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."