GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

metalhipslop

http://www.vblurpage.com/forum/Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Th

Post by metalhipslop » 28 Jan 2018, 21:51

it's a good album but definitely their worst. I even like The Fall better (still can never understand why people don't like that album). I played the shit out of humanz and loved it (still do, but much less). then once you go back to their other albums you see the faults in humanz.
i have the same problem with humanz as everyone else does. there isn't enough 2d. i'm glad Damon and Jamie know this now and I think the Phase 4.5 will have more of 2d. I went back to the debut album and realized it is my favourite Gorillaz album. simply because there are only 2 songs without 2d and every song is a gem. and Damon was still doing heroin. you can tell (dont know if that is positive or negative but I atleast damon has once said it was positive). and I think he was still not over Justine when he was making it, that's why it has the same crazy spirit of 13.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mallard No. 22

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jan 2018, 08:31

I much prefer recent albums by Black Grape, Shed Seven and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. They are on energetic form (esp. Shaun Ryder & Rick Witter) and I keep playing them.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Feb 2018, 21:10

I'm starting to agree if this wasn't a Gorillaz album (or if Damon wasn't involved in any capacity) that everyone on this forum (or the VAST majority) would completely dismiss "Humanz" altogether! I still contend that the bonus tracks were even better than the actual album ones. I hope that Damon does more lead vocals on the next one!

Going back to "Plastic Beach"...."Stylo" had so much potential w/Bobby Womack and Mos Def both collaborating however it was such an overall disappointment to me!

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 08 Feb 2018, 13:04

Recently played it again. Like it much better than I'd remembered. It's just more of a "background music" type album than anything previously. I still can't decide which of the 4 main Gorillaz albums I love the best...they're all so different but real works of art
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

stephen

Post by stephen » 08 Feb 2018, 13:10

anothermario wrote:Recently played it again. Like it much better than I'd remembered. It's just more of a "background music" type album than anything previously. I still can't decide which of the 4 main Gorillaz albums I love the best...they're all so different but real works of art
Demon Days is the best one for me hands down. It's such a complete album with great singles.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 08 Feb 2018, 13:40

Plastic Beach for me. I love the tropical island vibes of that record. I love how eclectic it is and the different directions it goes in from rap to 80s synth pop, to soul to rock to classical and yet it still sounds really cohesive as an album. And It definitely has the prettiest songs of all of the Gorillaz albums - Empire Ants, On Melancholy Hill, To Binge, Cloud of Unknowing.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Feb 2018, 16:30

anothermario wrote:Recently played it again. Like it much better than I'd remembered. It's just more of a "background music" type album than anything previously. I still can't decide which of the 4 main Gorillaz albums I love the best...they're all so different but real works of art

I agree w/you on how "Humanz" is more "background" or "atmospheric" music.

"Demon Days" was my absolute fave...especially "Kids With Guns"!

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Feb 2018, 20:38

I'm so so so sorry I take everything back of what I said about this album in the last 9 months.

I've haven't been listening to it loud enough.

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Feb 2018, 20:42

This is Gorillaz 13.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 09 Feb 2018, 23:04

I'm exhausted watching this back story of the Gorillaz, Just because of the guy commenting on the video
https://youtu.be/EAXWR7umFvY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saying that I really missed the Gorillaz mythology during the Humanz era.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 10 Feb 2018, 22:04

stephen wrote:I'm so so so sorry I take everything back of what I said about this album in the last 9 months.

I've haven't been listening to it loud enough.
sarcastic much
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 11 Feb 2018, 00:07

I still really dislike Hunanz Lord knows I tried to like it!

As for Plastic Beach, I recently purchased it on vinyl so I've been listening to it again. While it's no where near Demon Days, it's really a good album. I still dislike Glitter Freeze, but I love everything else on the record. Absolutely underrated.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Feb 2018, 05:42

Yes good points above about 'Demon Days' being the best album, and 'Humanz' being a background-type listen.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 26 Feb 2018, 02:54

anyone else realize that humanz has the worst closer in damon's discography? if you look/listen at all his albums made most of them have amazing closers. especially gorillaz... m1a1, demon days, pirate jet, seattle yodel (california and the slipping on the sun)... and all the blur closers... wear me down, resigned, this is a low, yuko and hiro, essex dogs, no distance left to run, battery in your leg, and mirrorball...
and then... We Got The Power? probably my least favourite song on the album. but I absolutely LOVE IT LIVE. having seen it LIVE in the front row after finishing a bottle of rum and smoking a joint. they should of stuck the krautrock version that they do live on the album. it would of been a way better closer. After Hallelujah Money, which is top 3 songs on Humanz. We Got The power album version could of been better. but that's only my opinion
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

bugman

Post by bugman » 26 Feb 2018, 19:21

WGAP is much, muuuch more better than resigned and yuko. i hate those tracks!