GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

aldamasta

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Post by aldamasta » 01 Nov 2017, 20:27

I agree, it's the least Gorillaz track ever. Live it's soooo much better... actually feels like it belongs alongside the Humanz songs when the band does it. I agree with people saying the beat is great, but it just doesn't breathe in the studio like it does when you have the Gorillaz live force behind it.

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 01 Nov 2017, 20:41

munch wrote:The only issue with the song is it never builds to anything, like a nice bridge or chorus or throw in a nice damon vocal. it needs a bit where it chills out to fill the song up a bit more.
100% agreed. One problem with the Phase 4 songs is their rather bland structure (at least compared to the Demon Days era).

bugman

Post by bugman » 03 Nov 2017, 15:37

https://imgur.com/r/gorillaz/KLjEp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

see this!!!! super deluxe is coming!

bugman

Post by bugman » 03 Nov 2017, 16:22

new tracks leaked!

Renny

Post by Renny » 03 Nov 2017, 17:02

Please please please please

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 03 Nov 2017, 17:23

can't post here I'm guessing? so I wont..
but the non features are instrumentals..awesome onese at that.
Duetz and Five Whales In A Dream have Damon vocals, but I won't spoil them :D
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

bugman

Post by bugman » 03 Nov 2017, 17:30

3/4 of new songs sound like tracks from the fall.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 03 Nov 2017, 20:39

found the tracks, here are some thoughts
(a couple of them were just beats that i didn't really have any thoughts on)

Long Beach sounds like it could have been a really good song if, well, a song were written around it. Duetz is the first time Damon has sounded good with autotune on his voice. I like the ideas in Midnite Float, some of them got worked into Momentz. Has some pretty neat ambience in the beginning too. I figured the alt-version of Charger would be better, mostly because Grace Jones' performance was so cut-and-pasted but Pauline Black's vocal style doesn't really fit the song to my ear. The Carnival special is definitely better. The extended intro and Damon's bridge add a lot. Five Whales is pretty cool. I mean, definitely not fully formed (Damon's obviously not saying any actual words) but his falsetto scatting combined with the laid back vibe give it a kind of computerized phase 1 quality. Phoenix on the Hill doesn't really do anything for me at all. And wow, Tranzformer has such a nice vibe to it. Good melodies too, really should have been fleshed out or at the very least brought into the land of high-definition.

tldr, some of this is cool but it's definitely not worth the (supremely high) price of admission

bugman

Post by bugman » 03 Nov 2017, 21:04

worse than the fall/ 3/4 songs are 0/10 .

listen it only once and never afgain. never understand the fact, who want to listen demos,unfinish songs ?

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 04 Nov 2017, 09:17

bugman wrote:worse than the fall/ 3/4 songs are 0/10 .

listen it only once and never afgain. never understand the fact, who want to listen demos,unfinish songs ?
I think it is always interesting to listen to demos... they aren't going to be great like the finished product of course, that's why they are demos.. they are just interesting to listen to.
Sometimes Demos are better than the finished product.. Like Sweet Song by Blur (in my opinion)

I can listen to Duetz and Five Whales in a Dream over and over. They sound great to me , even if they are demos. Classic Damon
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 04 Nov 2017, 15:12

I love listening to demos, but I also always wonder "what if?" about the songs. I always think about Half a Song from Democrazy. One of the most beautiful little songs Damon has ever written IMO, but it never became an actual song. What if?

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 06 Nov 2017, 06:58

Never thought Damon would reach such a terrible low as this year, Humanz a terrible unlistenable mess and yet he persists with it. Never thought I would say it, but hope he leaves Blur alone now, he has lost his magic.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 Nov 2017, 15:57

I think he's spread himself too thin in recent years. He doesn't seem to have a rock solid schedule for anything, instead just doing something that takes his fancy. Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing but earlier this year he said he was moving on to TGTB&TQ but now he's recording another Gorillaz album. He must be a pain in the ass to work with, no wonder it's up to Damon whether Blur get back together or not. The other guys have no idea if he's going to change his mind and do something else instead.

The guy is a music legend, no doubt about it, but I think he needs to take a couple of years off and come back more focused. I stand by my comment that he hasn't released a solid album since TGTB&TQ. After that album he spread himself too thin whether it be Gorillaz, Dr Dee, the musicals, Everyday Robots, Rocket Juice, Blur, now Gorillaz again. The guy doesn't stop. At some point he'll have to take a break.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

stephen

Post by stephen » 06 Nov 2017, 16:49

tom_cas1 wrote:I think he's spread himself too thin in recent years. He doesn't seem to have a rock solid schedule for anything, instead just doing something that takes his fancy. Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing but earlier this year he said he was moving on to TGTB&TQ but now he's recording another Gorillaz album. He must be a pain in the ass to work with, no wonder it's up to Damon whether Blur get back together or not. The other guys have no idea if he's going to change his mind and do something else instead.

The guy is a music legend, no doubt about it, but I think he needs to take a couple of years off and come back more focused. I stand by my comment that he hasn't released a solid album since TGTB&TQ. After that album he spread himself too thin whether it be Gorillaz, Dr Dee, the musicals, Everyday Robots, Rocket Juice, Blur, now Gorillaz again. The guy doesn't stop. At some point he'll have to take a break.
Yup it feels to me he's more of a guest on those albums rather than having a strong input. It seems to work well for him personally but I think we all just want a bit more as fans because we know how good he is on his day.

He seems to be enjoying this aspect of his life and fair enough he has earned it.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

tender

Post by tender » 07 Nov 2017, 11:24

davidsutter wrote:found the tracks, here are some thoughts
(a couple of them were just beats that i didn't really have any thoughts on)

tldr, some of this is cool but it's definitely not worth the (supremely high) price of admission
Agreed , very , very expensive. There are things about this phase that seem a bit greedy but suppose lesson learnt from Plastic Beach era .

Ps: I think the She is My Collar Spanish version is terrible and wish it had never come out just awful