GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1438
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by aldamasta » 04 Oct 2016, 21:03

I'm definitely more interested in the music side of things, as Damon is my favorite musician of all time, but I ADORE Jamie's artwork. The art and the lore make Gorillaz very special in a way that just having the music wouldn't, IMO. the cartoons are what helped me get into Gorillaz back when I was 11, when I didn't really have concrete feelings about/preferences for music.

Not to say the albums wouldn't be amazing without the cartoons. They don't affect how much I like the music in any way, they only add to the band as a whole for me.

davidsutter
Posts: 914
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 17:06
Location: Clarksville, IN
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by davidsutter » 05 Oct 2016, 00:20

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLJX7Q-gIwM ... odle&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this video seems to have a second or two of new gorillaz music
sounds like a raspy damon rap bit

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7031
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by TripleJay97 » 05 Oct 2016, 06:39

aldamasta wrote:I'm definitely more interested in the music side of things, as Damon is my favorite musician of all time, but I ADORE Jamie's artwork. The art and the lore make Gorillaz very special in a way that just having the music wouldn't, IMO. the cartoons are what helped me get into Gorillaz back when I was 11, when I didn't really have concrete feelings about/preferences for music.

Not to say the albums wouldn't be amazing without the cartoons. They don't affect how much I like the music in any way, they only add to the band as a whole for me.
Precisely this.
Image

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by 101reykjavik » 05 Oct 2016, 12:08

Maybe it's an age thing. The cartoon stuff is really not that interesting to me – I'm mildly curious, but I really don't care about the intricacies of the story line. But then I was 25 when the first album came out so it was Damon's foray into solo work which grabbed my attention rather than the concept around it.
Image

dougharrison
Posts: 243
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 03:01

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by dougharrison » 05 Oct 2016, 13:50

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I hope I'm not the only one who's not into their cartoon thing at all. I get that it's a huge part of the band's identity and all that but I dunno, I just want to hear the music.
I'm just the same, as someone else said, maybe just an age thing (I'm 34 now). I appreciate that people like the cartoons and story line, more power to them, certainly wouldn't want to ruin that for anyone, but I'm pretty much only interested in the music. Would be far more happy to listen to another album of demo's/ideas at various stages of completion than ready a Noodles comic book. However I'm just one bloke, plenty of people who probably feel completely the opposite

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7708
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Oct 2016, 14:50

The cartoons are integral to Gorillaz in my opinion. Demon Days was the classic example. Fantastic videos, each with a story, the connection between Feel Good Inc. and El Mañana regarding the windmill. The El Mañana video still makes me sad to this day. But the combination of the incredible visuals and music is what made Demon Days Damon's best ever album, just fantastic in every way. Plastic Beach was a mess on both fronts and I personally hated that the band toured the way they did, being able to see each member. The way they played shows in 2005 in Manchester was PERFECT. Each band member in shadow, the music at the forefront, completely unselfish. Same with 2001. As much as I loved the music when I saw Gorillaz in 2010 in London I felt let down because Gorillaz, to me, are a cartoon band. It felt weird seeing an ACTUAL band play on stage.

BRING ON THE CARTOONS!!
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

davidsutter
Posts: 914
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 17:06
Location: Clarksville, IN
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by davidsutter » 05 Oct 2016, 14:55

Cartoon Network introduced me to Gorillaz and Gorillaz led to most of the things I enjoy now.
So I like to thank the cartoons for without them I could have ended up a juggalo.

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by Forever Low Man » 05 Oct 2016, 21:47

davidsutter wrote:Cartoon Network introduced me to Gorillaz
what

please inform me of the connection because this is new to me
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

davidsutter
Posts: 914
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 17:06
Location: Clarksville, IN
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by davidsutter » 05 Oct 2016, 22:30

Forever Low Man wrote:
davidsutter wrote:Cartoon Network introduced me to Gorillaz
what

please inform me of the connection because this is new to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfmDehdLQd8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the birth of dave12d3

User avatar
Miki
Posts: 2034
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:35
Location: South of England

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by Miki » 05 Oct 2016, 23:09

I like the cartoons. I like multimedia art.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Image

metalhipslop
Posts: 803
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 02:13
Location: The Great White North

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by metalhipslop » 07 Oct 2016, 00:11

tom_cas1 wrote:The cartoons are integral to Gorillaz in my opinion. Demon Days was the classic example. Fantastic videos, each with a story, the connection between Feel Good Inc. and El Mañana regarding the windmill. The El Mañana video still makes me sad to this day. But the combination of the incredible visuals and music is what made Demon Days Damon's best ever album, just fantastic in every way. Plastic Beach was a mess on both fronts and I personally hated that the band toured the way they did, being able to see each member. The way they played shows in 2005 in Manchester was PERFECT. Each band member in shadow, the music at the forefront, completely unselfish. Same with 2001. As much as I loved the music when I saw Gorillaz in 2010 in London I felt let down because Gorillaz, to me, are a cartoon band. It felt weird seeing an ACTUAL band play on stage.

BRING ON THE CARTOONS!!
I agree about everything except what you said about Plastic Beach. I think they had a good thing goin at the start, but just wasn't executed to it's potential and was unfinished... which sucked. I love the idea of Plastic Beach. Stylo and OMH were probably the best music videos from them in my opinion. Especially Stylo. I get chills even today, I just think that song is amazing. Definitely one the best things Damon has written - what an achievement, I hope he realizes....
But yeah, the Gorillaz concert I saw in 2010 was amazing but I DO prefer Damon and the band as silhouettes. That was way better. because they didn't hide the GUESTS. I mean, The PB tour was great. I loved the show I saw but when I look back, artistically it is just looks amazing. ehhh, both are amazing. but Demon Days Live man... That's the shit. For the record PB is my favorite Gorillaz album. I was scared Plastic Beach wouldn't be as good as Demon days, but when it released it ended up just as good, and over time ended up being better. So , I'm pretty optimistic about this fourth album... BRING ON PHASE 4
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

User avatar
Consigliere_11
Posts: 1713
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:34
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by Consigliere_11 » 07 Oct 2016, 11:40

It looks like Noodle arrived in the UK http://pitchfork.com/news/68834-gorilla ... ny-jaguar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The video is somewhat dullish (there is like nothing going on, other than a lap on a slow car and some lines), but we're waiting for Phase 4 anyway
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7708
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by tom_cas1 » 07 Oct 2016, 12:31

It's a promotional video for Jaguar, my guess is they've paid a lot of money to use Noodle in their video knowing a new album is coming. And it's a Formula E racing car. Genius on the part of Jaguar and Gorillaz. Something is coming.

http://youtu.be/bSqPj3gdBBw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
Consigliere_11
Posts: 1713
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:34
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: The Book Of Noodle

Post by Consigliere_11 » 07 Oct 2016, 16:22

The Book of Murdoc apperead, the band is getting together... I hope when November comes, we will have at least a single!
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

User avatar
Veikko
Site Admin
Posts: 724
Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 19:44
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: Books & Jaguar partnership

Post by Veikko » 07 Oct 2016, 16:45

The new album will be finished in "two weeks", according to Damon:
http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/96955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply