GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

metalhipslop

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4?

Post by metalhipslop » 12 Dec 2015, 07:09

Keep an eye on Gorillaz.com
Once it update or "is underconstuction", I will die of excitement. Their websites have always had a huge effect on me, just as much as the music and videos
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 27 Dec 2015, 18:18

http://mybandnews.com/2015/12/gorillaz- ... vel-album/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie talking about Gorillaz. Can anyone give a translation? :)

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 27 Dec 2015, 19:58

From what I heard under the voiceover it sounded like the same quotes we've been getting, just in video form.

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 27 Dec 2015, 20:08

Jamie says that damon has booked his month of December to work on the next gorillaz album. Jamie will try to renew his work, he doesn't see the point in doing the same old things over and over again. They'll try to give a very positive message to the world in those dark and sad times.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Dec 2015, 20:35

I'm just gonna come out and say it... Whilst I'm looking forward to the new Gorillaz release, it makes me sad that our Blur reunion is over, for now at least, so I haven't wanted to think about it lol. But I actually know people in real life looking forward to the new Gorillaz release who didn't even know that The Magic Whip existed, lol.

daii

Post by daii » 27 Dec 2015, 21:07

AdvertBreak wrote:I'm just gonna come out and say it... Whilst I'm looking forward to the new Gorillaz release, it makes me sad that our Blur reunion is over, for now at least, so I haven't wanted to think about it lol. But I actually know people in real life looking forward to the new Gorillaz release who didn't even know that The Magic Whip existed, lol.
I've never got this, how can you like gorillaz and not like blur? or the other way round. I can understand someone could prefer blur because of graham and the rest of the boys, and I can see someone really into art/cartoons/experimental music loving gorillaz and not feeling really excited for blur. BUT THE SONGWRITTING IS THE SAME! is the same guy with the same four string guitar, the same piano, the same melancholic songs, the same madness. You may like blur a bit more, or gorillaz, but there's people who don't give a shit for the other band, is very weird. I don't know, maybe I'm just a fangirl and I love everything Damon does. :P

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Dec 2015, 21:33

I agree. Although I guess a lot of people I know who like Blur and not Gorillaz are only concerned with the Britpop stuff, plus I guess Song 2 and maybe Coffee. But for those more familar with Blur, or those with Gorillaz and not Blur, it doesn't make sense. Imagine Demon Days as the second album by "Lur", for example. It's easy to do so. So whenever I see someone who likes Gorillaz and not Blur, I basically choose to believe that they don't really know Blur that well.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 27 Dec 2015, 22:28

I still don't enjoy the first Gorillaz record :/ Later stuff is definitely closer to blur, so I enjoy it a lot more. That said, I agree that because the songwriting is the same, the guy behind this all is the same, it is a bit strange not to even try to dig into the other projects after liking one of them.
It is always a good time to be a fan of Damon Albarn, because he always works on something :lol:
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

maffed

Post by maffed » 27 Dec 2015, 22:39

I can see a lot of similarities between the two projects, of course, but I understand why some people might like one better than the other or like just one of the two.
Let's say I really love guitar driven music, well, I that case I may like blur for Graham's genius and for the balance between his playing and Damon's songwriting.
On the other hand, if I'm into hip hop and electronica, I'd rather listen to songs like "Feel Good inc", "November Has Come" or "Glitter Freeze" without caring about, let's say, tunes like "Clover Over Dover" or "For Tomorrow".

However, since the two bands are extremely eclectic, it's easy that some people will like both of them. I'm a huge fan of both Blur and Gorillaz, I see them as complementary, like two sides of the same, brilliant, amazing coin.
Sugar Plum Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 27 Dec 2015, 23:01

Maffed, I like the Beatles reference in your signature. 8-)

maffed

Post by maffed » 28 Dec 2015, 00:04

101reykjavik wrote:Maffed, I like the Beatles reference in your signature. 8-)
Thanks a lot! I'm glad you noticed it!! ;)
Sugar Plum Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 Dec 2015, 18:47

Where's it actually from? I only know it as the Love intro to ADITL

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 28 Dec 2015, 19:38

It's John's count in on Take 1 of A Day In The Life (can be found on Anthology 2).

Edit: Actually, have a listen (with George Martin) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QmA8Cz5vK0

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 28 Dec 2015, 21:17

daii wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:I'm just gonna come out and say it... Whilst I'm looking forward to the new Gorillaz release, it makes me sad that our Blur reunion is over, for now at least, so I haven't wanted to think about it lol. But I actually know people in real life looking forward to the new Gorillaz release who didn't even know that The Magic Whip existed, lol.
I've never got this, how can you like gorillaz and not like blur? or the other way round. I can understand someone could prefer blur because of graham and the rest of the boys, and I can see someone really into art/cartoons/experimental music loving gorillaz and not feeling really excited for blur. BUT THE SONGWRITTING IS THE SAME! is the same guy with the same four string guitar, the same piano, the same melancholic songs, the same madness. You may like blur a bit more, or gorillaz, but there's people who don't give a shit for the other band, is very weird. I don't know, maybe I'm just a fangirl and I love everything Damon does. :P
I love Blur but I don't like Gorillaz, not my thing really, well, I like some songs here and there but that's it, not the whole thing and I know a lot of people who loves Blur and don't like Gorillaz..I'm sad that He is working now with the Gorillaz project because I really don't care -happy for you guys who are waiting for it but not me..- and maybe I'm the only one here but I'm more excited for the new TGTB&TQ...

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 29 Dec 2015, 12:57

AstronomyD81 wrote:I love Blur but I don't like Gorillaz, not my thing really, well, I like some songs here and there but that's it, not the whole thing and I know a lot of people who loves Blur and don't like Gorillaz..I'm sad that He is working now with the Gorillaz project because I really don't care -happy for you guys who are waiting for it but not me..- and maybe I'm the only one here but I'm more excited for the new TGTB&TQ...
100% agreed and you're not the only one. I love TGTB&TQ (not Gorillaz at all).