Wonder.land....Damon Albarn's New Project.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Veikko
Site Admin

Re: Wonder.land....Damon Albarn's New Project.

Post by Veikko » 04 Jul 2015, 18:52

Press reviews:
The Guardian (3/5)
The Independent (3/5)
The Telegraph (3/5)
Manchester Evening News (4/5)
Digital Spy (4/5)
Daily Mail (3/5)

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 05 Jul 2015, 05:49

Fairly average then :P

daii

Post by daii » 08 Jul 2015, 23:09

this was broadcasted today in the BBC, is a demo that damon did for the Cheshire Cat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bwIth ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 09 Jul 2015, 01:27

daii wrote:this was broadcasted today in the BBC, is a demo that damon did for the Cheshire Cat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bwIth ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that's great. i'd be happy with a whole album of demos
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

munch

Post by munch » 09 Jul 2015, 12:11

So gooooood.

I'd be happy with an album of the whole show with bonus demos
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 14 Sep 2015, 19:46

I've just looked at my new National Theatre brochure for the coming quarter. Interestingly, it includes information of continuing performances for wonder.land, so if anyone is interested, there are more dates now up 28th February now. So the tickets must be selling well. Good news! :D

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 05 Nov 2015, 14:50

Behind the scenes shots from rehearsals:

https://instagram.com/explore/tags/alysdiary/

Can't wait to see this on 28th. :D

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 06 Nov 2015, 00:01

almost forgot about this project. the fact that people outside of UK who haven't seen the show really can be unaware about this production. still haven't heard any music from it... just read reviews of the show. if they are expecting me to fly to UK from Canada to see the show, sorry I can't afford it at the moment. but i'd prefer a DVD of it! tHANKS!
I doubt an album/cd will happen soon too... damon's working on Gorillaz as we know. this is totally different from DR DEE and MONKEY. both albums were made when Damon was over Gorillaz
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 13 Nov 2015, 16:18

Damon on BBC breakfast promoting wonder.land

http://youtu.be/7gf_XrQzSoA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Nov 2015, 21:39

Mark72 wrote:Damon on BBC breakfast promoting wonder.land

http://youtu.be/7gf_XrQzSoA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers Mark, Enjoyed that. I had no idea they were appearing on there this morning, but then I was driving to work anyway, so it wouldn't have made a difference. :lol:

Fascinating / terrifying to hear them say they had their first preview last night and all was chaos and yet here we are a couple of weeks from when I go to see it (and sooner for people at Manchester) and they'll have it all straightened out and perfected by then. Yikes. I guess that's how theatre works. Really looking forward to it though.

I agree with Damon by the way. Dr Dee was GREAT! Wish I could see it again... :(

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Nov 2015, 22:49

Also agree about Dr. Dee. I was lucky enough to see it at ENO! I'd love it if they had another run of Dr. Dee in the future, kind of like when Monkey came to the Lincoln Center in NYC in 2013.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Nov 2015, 23:22

Me too - was spellbound by it at the ENO. Another run would be great, but from the way Damon spoke about it on that clip maybe it wasn't all that popular.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 30 Nov 2015, 20:19

I went to see Wonder.land on Saturday. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I came away a tiny bit disappointed. Dr Dee was a very different thing of course, but I did really love that. Having Damon in it helped of course (!) but it was something about the subject matter too. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I share Damon's slightly wistful romantic notion of an England that perhaps never really existed, but holds a strong emotional pull. Dr Dee tapped into that.

Wonder.land was fun, but my total engagement in it ebbed and flowed throughout. It started with Ali's drab home life to provide context, so naturally it had to warm up, and as the first act played out it improved, more humour started to creep in and the music improved (there was one song called 'Everyone Loves Charlie' which had an enjoyable Damon stamp on it - sadly the only one of the night I really enjoyed for the music alone. The first act finished strongly and spectacularly with the Wonder.land visuals and characters starting to take over, and I thought it would go from strength to strength from there. But the second act felt a bit of a let down, though Ali's zombie game playing friend was good entertainment.

The staging was spectacular and the graphics in particular were marvellous. Really well done. I just don't think the Wonder.land world was as weird, disorientating or psychedelic as I would have hoped. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a family show. A solid 7/10 as a night out anyway.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 04 Dec 2015, 02:39

Blur were at the premiere of wonder.land tonight! It always makes me so happy when they do things like this, in support of their fellow band mate(s). It makes sense, since they're basically like brothers, but it pleases me nonetheless! Also, I thought it was very cool that Nigel Hildreth was there as well! He was Graham and Damon's music teacher when they went to school in Colchester (you'll know him pretty well if you've read 3862 Days!) Very neat. Here are some pics: http://blurnorthamerica.tumblr.com/post ... 1215-damon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Damon's blue suit returns while Graham wears a very Graham coat)

eloisekate

Post by eloisekate » 04 Dec 2015, 05:31

the photos are so lovely, they put the biggest smile on my face. it's really nice to see them all there supporting Damon :)