Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby tom_cas1 » 23 Oct 2014, 22:29

I was under the impression that this was 2J:

JordanPowers wrote:
davidsutter wrote:(Does this mean 2-J's gonna open his website back up?)

I don't even know if G-U will be back up even when the album comes out. :P
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
 
Posts: 7374
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:13

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby metalhipslop » 24 Oct 2014, 22:53

Very anxious for new Gorillaz.
Hopefully we will see more from the cartoon characters this time. I liked the whole Plastic Beach concept and visuals, but their wasn't enough from the cartoon characters like on the first 2 albums. I think Damon & Jamie realized this
The live show was one of the greatest things I have seen though, and I hope if there are shows again they do it in a similar way.
metalhipslop
 
Posts: 692
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 03:13

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby Liese » 25 Oct 2014, 10:11

Very, very excited for a new GBQ.

Would not mind a new Gorillaz, but then again I do not see a great difference between a new Gorillaz or a new Damon solo project, except for the visuals of course (which, I have to admit, I do not care about too much... yes, it's out now... :oops: ).
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."


Image
Liese
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 05 Sep 2014, 13:03
Location: I'm in outer space

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby stephen » 29 Oct 2014, 11:16

I'd be happy with either Gorillaz or TGTBTQ album.

If they do a Gorillaz album they need to tighten the brand up though. It all fell apart on plastic beach.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 25 Sep 2014, 13:53

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby Pasta » 29 Oct 2014, 19:49

I hope everyone on here has heard the new tony allen album, it's great

"Go Back" is one of the best tracks of this year for me and shows exactly what they are capable of
Pasta
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 13:11

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby JordanPowers » 29 Oct 2014, 21:55

So, what is everybody's hopes for the sound direction the next Gorillaz album will take? Damon said that a lot of the songs on the next Gorillaz album will be 'upbeat', but i think it'd be nice to have some serene, mellow tracks on the next album too. I'm thinking maybe we'll be hearing some really funky stuff overtop of the upbeat stuff, since Damon hasn't done much that was really funky since RocketJuice and The Moon, which was 2-3 years ago, so maybe he'll feel the need to do a Gorillaz album with a funk flavor to it. Maybe we'll be hearing something as funky as Spitting Out The Demons was. I do remember Del saying on Twitter that it was a big possibility that he'll be on the next Gorillaz album, and I remember him saying in an interview that he wants to try to work with Damon again in general, so I hope to hear him somewhere on the album. What do you guys think? What musical style would you like to hear for this next Gorillaz record?

Also, yeah, i'd love to see more from the cartoon characters as well!
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section


You should be off the Blur forum
User avatar
JordanPowers
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 05 Oct 2014, 02:30
Location: Columbus, New Jersey, USA

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby davidsutter » 29 Oct 2014, 22:03

Each Gorillaz album tends to have it's own flavor so the sound of a new one is a real hard thing to speculate about.

I kind of hope he goes for some bigger name collaborators (within reason) and the band has a huge comeback as a result.
davidsutter
 
Posts: 888
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 18:06
Location: Clarksville, IN

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby Pasta » 29 Oct 2014, 22:04

Del the funky homosapiens' recent album Iller Than Most is pretty good

it's a free download, if you don't have it, worth a go

;)
Pasta
 
Posts: 689
Joined: 08 Jun 2014, 13:11

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby MsMagicAmerica » 01 Nov 2014, 18:53

I'd really welcome some upbeat Damon music!! I'm not saying his mellow music is bad as some of his mellow songs are my favorites my him, but lately, it's been a bit too much mellow music. I hope I don't anger anyone here, but to me Gorillaz was always about the music. I appreciate the art of the cartoons and the work it takes to make them but I can do without them. I thought the whole killing Noddle and having a cyborg Noodle was silly.
Image
User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 16:33
Location: New Jersey,USA

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby JordanPowers » 01 Nov 2014, 22:20

MsMagicAmerica wrote:I'd really welcome some upbeat Damon music!! I'm not saying his mellow music is bad as some of his mellow songs are my favorites my him, but lately, it's been a bit too much mellow music. I hope I don't anger anyone here, but to me Gorillaz was always about the music. I appreciate the art of the cartoons and the work it takes to make them but I can do without them. I thought the whole killing Noddle and having a cyborg Noodle was silly.



Do you think you'd like 'em better if they were like back in phase 1 when they were just a band that played music? I would; I feel like back then, the fact that there wasn't this humungous. almost cinematic storyline made it seem a lot easier to see 2D, Murdoc, Russel and Noodle as the band. Notice that with each album, a band member seemed to have not been there for a lot of the storyline; for Demon Days it was Noodle (although she recorded the album, she wasn't in the bad for a while afterwards), for Plastic Beach it was Russel, and for The Fall it was Murdoc (who didn't record with 2D aside from the vocals on Detroit). I think that once this next album comes around, the characters will all be back together again.
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section


You should be off the Blur forum
User avatar
JordanPowers
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 05 Oct 2014, 02:30
Location: Columbus, New Jersey, USA

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby 101reykjavik » 03 Nov 2014, 14:05

I agree MsMagic, it's mainly about the music for me. I hugely admire the design and characters, I'm a graphic designer, but I'm never really bothered about the whole storyline thing, just the broad concept of each album. If a new Gorillaz record did herald a few more poppy songs from Damon, I'd really welcome that too.
Image
User avatar
101reykjavik
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 21:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Damon: "New Gorillaz Album In 2016"

Postby metalhipslop » 04 Nov 2014, 19:59

JordanPowers wrote:
MsMagicAmerica wrote:I'd really welcome some upbeat Damon music!! I'm not saying his mellow music is bad as some of his mellow songs are my favorites my him, but lately, it's been a bit too much mellow music. I hope I don't anger anyone here, but to me Gorillaz was always about the music. I appreciate the art of the cartoons and the work it takes to make them but I can do without them. I thought the whole killing Noddle and having a cyborg Noodle was silly.



Do you think you'd like 'em better if they were like back in phase 1 when they were just a band that played music? I would; I feel like back then, the fact that there wasn't this humungous. almost cinematic storyline made it seem a lot easier to see 2D, Murdoc, Russel and Noodle as the band. Notice that with each album, a band member seemed to have not been there for a lot of the storyline; for Demon Days it was Noodle (although she recorded the album, she wasn't in the bad for a while afterwards), for Plastic Beach it was Russel, and for The Fall it was Murdoc (who didn't record with 2D aside from the vocals on Detroit). I think that once this next album comes around, the characters will all be back together again.


I think with most of phase 2 it was still a "band who just played music". It wasn't until the El Manana video and Rise of the ogre when they started incorporating storylines.
It's a shame the phase 3 story and videos didn't work out because, instead of making a conventional movie of the band they wanted to try something different. tell a story with music, videos and images

and yeah, I care about the music more than anything but the cartoons are still very much important to me... it's part of the magic of gorillaz, and come on what's not to love about Jamie hewlett?
metalhipslop
 
Posts: 692
Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 03:13

PreviousNext

Return to Blur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests